Author Topic: The Addams Family  (Read 583 times)

Keranu

The Addams Family
« on: January 21, 2008, 03:43:31 PM »
The main reason I made this thread is to help out people who are playing this game and don't want to figure out the order of entrances you have to take when you're in the underground labyrinth.

The first spot with multiple entrances is a basement like place with a brickwall and three tunnels that take you to different parts of the mansion. Don't take any tunnels and move onto the next screen to the right!

The next spot will feature five chains hanging down from the ceiling for you to pull on. Pull on the third one.

And lastly the next area that requires you to choose a path will consist of four or five doors. Take the third door.

Anyways, this game is decent!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

ParanoiaDragon

Re: The Addams Family
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 05:24:21 PM »
Wait, the underground area, are you talking about the crypt or whatever, where you fight Fester near the begining of the game??

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 05:31:41 PM »
No, it's after you fight Gomez (which is after you checked out all the rooms in the mansion) which opens the secret pathway to the underground labyrinth.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 06:04:01 PM »
I had the most fun with this game when I was trying to figure everything out. I recommend people try to beat the game on their own first.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

vestcoat

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 06:39:49 PM »
It's nice to see Addams Family and Ghost Manor getting some love.
I still think Addams Family would have been better as a turbochip (the load times and voice acting are horrific...not in a good way).

SpookyGrafx Round-up:
Ghost Manor
Addams Family
Night Creatures
Shadow of the Beast
IT..Came from the Desert
Splatterhouse
Beyond Shadowgate

Anything else?  Silent Debuggers?  Alien Crush?

Keranu

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 07:11:10 PM »
I had the most fun with this game when I was trying to figure everything out. I recommend people try to beat the game on their own first.
Yeah that's true, though it was frustrating to get game overs for choosing a path that gave you instant death causing you to start from the beginning. Good thing is though is that it doesn't take too long, maybe 10-15 minutes?

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 08:24:03 PM »
No, it's after you fight Gomez (which is after you checked out all the rooms in the mansion) which opens the secret pathway to the underground labyrinth.

Ok, I thought you found some wacky shortcut that took you away from a majority of the game.  ....I don't remember ever dying when choosing a path, & starting from the begining...do you seriously start from the begining of the game?

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 08:49:28 PM »

Ok, I thought you found some wacky shortcut that took you away from a majority of the game.  ....I don't remember ever dying when choosing a path, & starting from the begining...do you seriously start from the begining of the game?
Well if you have one life and enter a trap that kills you, then yeah you have a game over and have to continue. But there are some entrances that will take you back to certain rooms in the mansion or even worse, back outside of the mansion! Luckily in that case you don't have to refind all of the keys.

MurderDate

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 02:06:22 AM »
Addams Family rules -  it was one of the games I was dying to play in the 90s - finally got my own copy a couple of months ago and it's everything I had hoped for (seriously!).   
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

Sinistron

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 02:21:37 AM »
Aren't there doors in the main mansion part too that start you off outside again?  It'd be sweet to point out what those exact doors are as well...  :-"

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
Quote from: Tatsujin
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

nodtveidt

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 03:57:37 AM »
There is a 79 life trick to this game that I recommend all players use. :D

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 07:38:18 AM »

Well if you have one life and enter a trap that kills you, then yeah you have a game over and have to continue. But there are some entrances that will take you back to certain rooms in the mansion or even worse, back outside of the mansion! Luckily in that case you don't have to refind all of the keys.

Ok, that all sounds familiar now, & I always use the 79 lives trick Nod mentioned! :)

Black Tiger

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 01:31:55 PM »
I didn't hear about the extra lives trick until years after I had stopped playing the game. :P
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

spenoza

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 02:32:55 PM »
Why the hell 79 lives? Why not 80, or 99, or even 69? Talk about a bizarrely arbitrary number. I want a code that takes away all but 1 life. Kinda like how in some Konami games the konami could would strip you down or outright kill you.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

Keranu

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 04:40:49 PM »
Addams Family rules -  it was one of the games I was dying to play in the 90s - finally got my own copy a couple of months ago and it's everything I had hoped for (seriously!).   

This post is so awesome! I always love to see people who greatly appreciated games like this!

Quote from: Sinistron
Aren't there doors in the main mansion part too that start you off outside again?  It'd be sweet to point out what those exact doors are as well... 
Yeah there were doors like that in the main mansion too. I know one of them is upstairs... I think it uses either the yellow or green key.