Author Topic: Developer Matchup #2: ICOM vs. Namco  (Read 1166 times)

nat

Developer Matchup #2: ICOM vs. Namco
« on: January 23, 2008, 09:14:49 AM »
Last time we saw IREM and Naxat go head-to-head. Things almost ended in a draw, but Naxat pulled slightly ahead finally winning 14 to 12 over IREM.

There was a bit of dispute brought up by certain people over Naxat doing more "publishing" rather than "developing" on many of the games that feature the Naxat logo. In order to make sure we appease our anal retentive members, I have made sure both parties this time around are, in fact, developers.

In light of recent discussions frequently mentioning ICOM titles (Ghost Manor, Shape Shifter, Camp California, etc) I've been thinking how great a developer they really were for the system. While the number of titles they developed wasn't great, nearly all seemed extremely solid.

On the other hand you have Namco, who is much more widely known, who produced a slightly larger number of titles. While they too had some really A-list titles, they had some real stinkers there in the mix (*cough*Genpei Toumaden*cough*).

Like we pointed out last time, this is not a contest of quantity.

Anyway, I'm going to have to go with ICOM on this one. Nearly every single one of their games is just completely awesome, although some will argue otherwise in the case of Shape Shifter but that's strictly opinion. They had extremely good graphical artists, great gameplay (for the most part) and intuitive level design.

Namco just had too many stinkers and mediocre crap games: the aformentioned Genpei, Bravoman, Ordyne, Wonder Momo, to name but a few. In all fairness, they had some really great titles too like Pac-Land, Samurai Ghost, Splatterhouse and Final Lap Twin featuring the quest-RPG mode that everybody loves. In the same vein, we're still trying to forget the trash that was ICOM's Yo Bro.

IMO though ICOM's games were more consistently good, and just better enough to make them the clear-cut winner for this gamer.

Michael Helgeson

Re: Developer Matchup #2: ICOM vs. Namco
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 09:18:47 AM »
Namco. I value Splatterhouse way more then any title Icom put out.

nodtveidt

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 09:28:30 AM »
I have to go with Namco on this one, but just barely. Main reason is that I don't give a shit what games they made for the Jp audience, I only care about the ones we got here. ICOM released some great stuff too but IMO, Namco has a slight edge. Tough decision really.

guyjin

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 09:31:55 AM »
Namco(t) by a looong way.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

ceti alpha

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 09:50:42 AM »
Namco Rocks! Galaga or bust.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

MissaFX

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 09:53:35 AM »
I can't say I feel strongly about many of the games listed, but my vote goes to Icom.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

nat

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 10:06:12 AM »
Poor ICOM is getting slaughtered so far.

Missa, there are games by both developers other than the ones I listed. Perhaps a visit to PCECP.com for anyone who hasn't voted might give a better picture. I'm too lazy to compile a complete list of each.

Turbo D

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 10:07:57 AM »
This was a very tough decision for turbo D! He chooses Namco. Icom does however have CF2, which turbo D loves. Turbo D also likes the parallax in shape shifter. But he chose Namco for its arcade classics.

MissaFX

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 10:10:39 AM »
This was a very tough decision for turbo D! He chooses Namco. Icom does however have CF2, which turbo D loves. Turbo D also likes the parallax in shape shifter. But he chose Namco for its arcade classics.

I love Namco games on the 3DO, PSX, arcade, etc. but the Namco titles listed here are pure crap, not arcade goodness/classics.  Yo Bro > Pac-Land, Samurai Ghost, Splatterhouse.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer

nat

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 10:13:37 AM »
Yo Bro > Pac-Land, Samurai Ghost, Splatterhouse.

Hahaha, you're out of your mind! And I actually voted for ICOM.

Those three games are indeed arcade classics.

But if that's your stance on Namco (those are among their best games on the system), then it's doubtful you'll like anything they put out for the Turbo. Truth be told, it doesn't get much better than those as far as Namco goes. I guess some people like Dragon Spirit but I'm not a big fan. Dragon Saber is much, much better.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 10:14:51 AM »

Whats CF2?

I love Namco games on the 3DO, PSX, arcade, etc. but the Namco titles listed here are pure crap, not arcade goodness/classics.  Yo Bro > Pac-Land, Samurai Ghost, Splatterhouse.

Are you kidding? Samurai Ghost and Splatterhouse are great. Pac Land,sure its not so hot,but the other two are awesome. Also Galaga 88/90,Ordyne,and Final Lap Twin are very nice titles,as is DragonSpirit and its sequel.

Turbo D

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 10:18:54 AM »

Whats CF2?

:oops: oops, nevermind, that games made by lasersoft  :oops:

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 10:21:42 AM »
I knew it....
Cosmic Fantasy 2,Turbo D you goof,you should be ashamed :(

MissaFX

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 10:23:11 AM »
Are you kidding? Samurai Ghost and Splatterhouse are great. Pac Land,sure its not so hot,but the other two are awesome. Also Galaga 88/90,Ordyne,and Final Lap Twin are very nice titles,as is DragonSpirit and its sequel.

I'm not kidding, I love Galaga '88, but I cannot give my vote to Namco based on 1 good game.  I really do not like any of the other Namco games listed here.

Tatsujin

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 11:12:05 AM »
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^