Author Topic: Implode question  (Read 370 times)

Tatsujin

Implode question
« on: January 23, 2008, 03:29:42 PM »
i've never played that game made by BT before and i just roughly know about the rules. so how to build up those 3-pairs and how to move the bricks? how to use/initalize the bombs?

and an other questions which comes to my mind, based on that statement from the Mind Rec. page:

As the game progresses, so does the difficulty; the speed increases, the number of colors on screen increases, and the number of rows needed to continue to the next level also increase. However as the difficulty climbs, so does the opportunity for more points. 

could this probably mean, that this game does take the full advantage of the uber huge PCE palette and increases the number of colors up to different 482 colors on screen (last stage)? so let's say, this game in that way wouldn't be realisable on the MD? awesome!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Arjak

Re: Implode question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 03:56:33 PM »
Below the playing field is a row of blocks that appears block by block. When the row is full, it moves up and pushes the blocks on the playing field up by one. What you want to do is destroy blocks by selecting three or more of the same color that are connected. Bombs appear as part of normal rows and destroy all the blocks of the color of the bomb (a green bomb destroys all the green blocks, etc.). You can't move blocks. You just have to have faith that the right color formations will appear. :twisted:

As far as I know, the game doesn't use blocks of every single color. The blocks are shaded.

The controls are thus:

Pad - Moves Cursor
Button I - Speeds up rate of blocks (gives bonus points)
Button II - selects piece in cursor/activates bomb in cursor
Run - Duh!

Does that help any? O:)
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

nat

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 04:25:56 PM »
Implode is awesome. I like it better than Meteor Blaster which I find to be very hard. I was never a huge fan of Asteroids to begin with.

Keranu

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 04:53:49 PM »
Implode is a fun, mindless game that you can play for a long time if you're in the mood. If you can get it for cheap, I recommend getting it for two reasons: (1) It's not bad, (2) You're supporting the homebrew community, which can help fund for pressing (or burning, if that's the case) future games.

Quote from: Tatsujin
could this probably mean, that this game does take the full advantage of the uber huge PCE palette and increases the number of colors up to different 482 colors on screen (last stage)? so let's say, this game in that way wouldn't be realisable on the MD? awesome!
There are a ton of PCE games that the MD couldn't accurately handle just because of the amount of colors for the background and sprite layers, probably ones you wouldn't expect too. Same can be said for Genesis games on PCE that use true parallax or something.

Quote from: nat
Implode is awesome. I like it better than Meteor Blaster which I find to be very hard. I was never a huge fan of Asteroids to begin with.
Meteor Blaster DX was better than I expected and it's a pretty sweet game. One thing I noticed about the difficulty though is that it doesn't seem to truly progress. The thing is, there are like five stages until the background changes and the difficulty only progresses within the five stages but once you make it to a new background/level, the difficulty goes back down and repeats. I'm not completley sure if this is the case, but it seems like it to me. The bosses do get harder though.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

ceti alpha

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 05:04:03 PM »
Meteor Blaster DX was better than I expected and it's a pretty sweet game. One thing I noticed about the difficulty though is that it doesn't seem to truly progress. The thing is, there are like five stages until the background changes and the difficulty only progresses within the five stages but once you make it to a new background/level, the difficulty goes back down and repeats. I'm not completley sure if this is the case, but it seems like it to me. The bosses do get harder though.

I'm really going to have to play this game. I love Asteroids, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee I would like MBDX.  Does the game have the gravity effect? The screenshots look pretty sweet though I must say.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nat

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 05:10:49 PM »
If you're going to play any version of Asteroids, then you ought to play Meteor Blaster. It's the best version of Asteroids I've ever played.

I just don't really like Asteroids. That aside, Meteor Blaster is a very well-done game.

Tatsujin

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 05:15:14 PM »
Implode is a fun, mindless game that you can play for a long time if you're in the mood. If you can get it for cheap, I recommend getting it for two reasons: (1) It's not bad, (2) You're supporting the homebrew community, which can help fund for pressing (or burning, if that's the case) future games.
>>>your'e talking about the almost over 3 decades announced gunjin, right?

Quote from: Tatsujin
There are a ton of PCE games that the MD couldn't accurately handle just because of the amount of colors for the background and sprite layers, probably ones you wouldn't expect too. Same can be said for Genesis games on PCE that use true parallax or something.
>>>yeah..it was more of  joke question, since it increases the colors by time :P
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 05:16:39 PM »

I'm really going to have to play this game. I love Asteroids, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee I would like MBDX.  Does the game have the gravity effect? The screenshots look pretty sweet though I must say.
Well the graphics and other features about Meteor Blaster DX makes it a really cool game and worth playing, but I don't think the controls quite capture the same feel as the original Asteroids. On the subject of Asteroid clones, I really love the built-in Asteroids clone for Vectrex called Mine Sweeper (which is very hard!).
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 05:32:21 PM »
Implode can be fun, though you can get a pretty high score just picking at random

Meteor Blaster DX is a nice step forward from a technical standpoint, and it's damn good fun too.  Unfortunately, my Duo chokes on CDRs, and I'm stuck playing it on M.E.  Can anyone explain how to access all of the easter eggs on the Signature Edition?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ceti alpha

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 05:37:19 PM »
Well the graphics and other features about Meteor Blaster DX makes it a really cool game and worth playing, but I don't think the controls quite capture the same feel as the original Asteroids. On the subject of Asteroid clones, I really love the built-in Asteroids clone for Vectrex called Mine Sweeper (which is very hard!).

Ha! I remember Mine Sweeper.  :) The Vectrex rocks, though the joystick is sucky.

Meteor Blaster DX is a nice step forward from a technical standpoint, and it's damn good fun too.  Unfortunately, my Duo chokes on CDRs, and I'm stuck playing it on M.E.

I haven't tried CD-Rs on my Duo and I'm scared to try. I've heard some horror stories here about CD-Rs messing with the lens. Why doesn't Hudson Soft get off their lazy butts and start making some new HuCARDs?!   [-(  :P

nat

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »

Meteor Blaster DX is a nice step forward from a technical standpoint, and it's damn good fun too.  Unfortunately, my Duo chokes on CDRs, and I'm stuck playing it on M.E.

I haven't tried CD-Rs on my Duo and I'm scared to try. I've heard some horror stories here about CD-Rs messing with the lens.

My Duo refuses to load Meteor Blaster DX, period. It doesn't even recognize there is a disc in there. My Duo is picky. Some CD-R games it will play like normal CDs, others (like MB DX) it won't even acknowledge. Luckily, I have my SuperGrafx w/ CD-ROM^2 to come to the rescue. Anymore I don't even bother with trying CD-Rs on the Duo. I just take 'em straight to the SGX. I only have like 3 CD-R games though.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 05:46:15 PM »
Why doesn't Hudson Soft get off their lazy butts and start making some new HuCARDs?!   [-(  :P

I'd rather that Eclipse put mixed mode disc functionality back in (or anybody else).  Even if somebody would make new HuCards, they'd be more expensive and we'd lose red book audio.  Does anybody even have the skills to crank out great chip tunes anymore?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 06:00:41 PM »

Ha! I remember Mine Sweeper.  :) The Vectrex rocks, though the joystick is sucky.
Whoops, I meant to say Mine Storm! I guess my mind got caught up in another thread which mentioned Mine Sweeper (another game I really love!). I love Vectrex's analog joysticks, that is when they work :( . A working joystick feels really nice with Mine Storm in my opinion.

ceti alpha

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 07:16:43 PM »
Whoops, I meant to say Mine Storm! I guess my mind got caught up in another thread which mentioned Mine Sweeper (another game I really love!). I love Vectrex's analog joysticks, that is when they work Sad . A working joystick feels really nice with Mine Storm in my opinion.

Haha. I thought Mine Sweeper sounded a little off. lol.  :-k The ultimate joystick though is the Atari 2600 pack-in joystick.  8) Nothing plays Bezerk better. heh