Author Topic: Best Sci-fi  (Read 916 times)

ceti alpha

Re: Best Sci-fi
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 09:32:06 AM »
lol. Awesome thread.  :mrgreen:

...do I really have to even say where my vote went? heh

Though the new BSG is missing from the choices - not that I would have necessarily voted for it, but it's a great show. I'm glad there is only going to be 4 seasons though.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

SignOfZeta

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 09:51:21 AM »
I voted Who, purely based on the limited choices availible. Not only am I sick of Star Wars and Trek, far too much of both series is just simply really disapointing and bad garbage that ruins the original vision. Say what you want about Doctor Who, but it rarely disappoints its fans.

My favorite piece of scifi ever is Blade Runner though. By a huge margin. My favorite scifi books are the Hitchhikers Guide series and Slaughterhouse 5.

nat

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2008, 10:13:27 AM »
Hitchhiker's Guide is great.

I like Dr. Who quite a bit, but I absolutely love Star Trek. At least, the original vision (as you put it).

Star Wars I'm kind of indifferent about. It never did much for me. The only one of the movies I really like is The Empire Strikes Back.

The Phantom Menace was almost a good movie if it wasn't for that shithead Jar Jar Binks.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2008, 10:15:20 AM »
I voted Who, purely based on the limited choices availible. Not only am I sick of Star Wars and Trek, far too much of both series is just simply really disapointing and bad garbage that ruins the original vision. Say what you want about Doctor Who, but it rarely disappoints its fans.

My favorite piece of scifi ever is Blade Runner though. By a huge margin. My favorite scifi books are the Hitchhikers Guide series and Slaughterhouse 5.

Am I your evil twin brother or something?  I agree with these statements 99% (I like the Dune series a bit more than your picks).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 10:16:51 AM »
Dune is great, too. Necromancer, do you like the SciFi remake of the original and Children of Dune (really this is both the second and third book into one long movie)?

esteban

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 01:18:03 PM »
Dr. Who all the way (we can discuss the doctors and the seasons, if you wish :) )

I love the original Star Trek, of course, but damn, Star Trek cannot compare to Dr. Who as far as "exploring new worlds" and "creating awe" is concerned. Next Generation was totally enjoyable, but,  ugghhhh, it was sterile and over-produced compared to the breadth of Dr. Who.

Who's greatest weakness is the tendency to stretch things out (it was a serial, after all) that doesn't always translate well when watching extended viewings.

Star Wars... while great, really doesn't have the breadth and variety -- but how could it? We're talking about three films. For three films, they really do kick ass.

Bottom line: I don't know if it is fair to compare Dr. Who to Star Wars because a bazillion Dr. Who episodes is bound to have more gems than Star Wars. Of course, the crap-to-quality ratio might help put things in perspective... but I love Dr. Who's crap a lot more than Star Wars' crap (the 3 recent unmentionable SW films, and the unmentionable digitally enhanced versions of the first SW films, etc.)

ST and Dr. Who are much more comparable because they have had a varied history over the years.

Jon Pertwee & Tom Baker are my faves, by the way.

--------------

Personally, I love Blake's 7. It is one of my favorite sci-fi series, even though it suffered from some weak episodes and weak seasons (much like Star Trek and Dr. Who)...
  |    | 

ceti alpha

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 01:57:22 PM »
Dune is great, too. Necromancer, do you like the SciFi remake of the original and Children of Dune (really this is both the second and third book into one long movie)?

The remakes aren't too shabby actually.

guyjin

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 03:49:27 PM »
YES! Pertwee & Tom Baker for the win.

I recently joined a Doctor who discussion group - Did you know colin baker(nocaps intentional) actually has fans?!?!?!  #-o the idiocy of some people...
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 02:09:28 AM »

I do like 'em.  For low budget productions (more so for the first than the second), they're nicely done and pretty faithful to Herbert's books, which David Lynch's most certainly wasn't (though still fun).  Considering their success (and profitability), I'd like to see them do the rest of the series.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 03:08:54 AM »
I agree completely.

My only thing is that they are too long, especially the first, to watch in one sitting. I guess that's because they originally aired as a miniseries or something.

ceti alpha

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 03:52:43 AM »
The new Doctor Who is awesome, as is Torchwood. But Tom Baker is the Doctor.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2008, 10:35:28 AM »
The new Doctor Who is awesome, as is Torchwood. But Tom Baker is the Doctor.

Gawd, Torchwood is so terrible. *Sooo* terrible.

r_benchley

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008, 11:04:15 AM »
Tom Baker is awesome as the Fourth Doctor, but my new favorite is Christopher Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor. 

guyjin

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 04:57:54 PM »
I like Eccleston pretty good, but I'd put him third, after Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee. Partly because his time was so short; I kinda feel like they wasted a regeneration. I can't judge Tenant yet, since he's 'in progress', but I suspect he'll be right up there, too.

I've never seen torchwood. What's it like? what makes you love it/hate it?
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 07:08:49 PM »
Needs more options

Keranu, add Abraxas, Andromeda, Beastmaster, Beyond the Stars, Starcrash, and TekWar