Author Topic: Ebay has done it again.  (Read 942 times)

bust3dstr8

Ebay has done it again.
« on: January 29, 2008, 12:20:21 PM »
http://pages.ebay.com/sell/update08/basic/

They pretty much want to push out all the small time and lower priced sellers. ($0.01 - $25 range)
This is where the majority of sellers for our hobby fall, so wait and see what happens to prices.
These greedy pricks are gonna start making Wal-Mart look like saints.

Blaaah.....Ebay can kiss my I'm done selling there.
Clowns Suck

MissaFX

Re: Ebay has done it again.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 12:34:28 PM »
http://pages.ebay.com/sell/update08/basic/

They pretty much want to push out all the small time and lower priced sellers. ($0.01 - $25 range)
This is where the majority of sellers for our hobby fall, so wait and see what happens to prices.
These greedy pricks are gonna start making Wal-Mart look like saints.

Blaaah.....Ebay can kiss my I'm done selling there.

Which change is the evil one?  Their page makes it sound like they are lowering fees.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

nodtveidt

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 12:35:38 PM »
Lowering the listing fees to make more off of you when you sell something...dunno, but it seems as if things aren't going to change all that much, really. But hey, they are a business, and all businesses want to maximize their profits. If you don't like them, there are other auction sites out there, and someone else recently started a thread here about a new auction site they want to make.

bust3dstr8

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 12:52:35 PM »
And there is this crap....Ebay can just hold your money when they feel like it.
Safe Payments Requirements
Last January, Bill announced that all new sellers would be required to offer PayPal or a merchant credit card as a safe payment option. This requirement gives buyers a higher degree of protection when transacting with sellers who have little or no track record.

This year we're expanding this requirement to the following sellers:

a small number of sellers who have the worst buyer dissatisfaction rates
sellers with less than 100 feedback
sellers who list in certain categories with higher rates of buyer complaints.
Also, for a small number of these transactions paid with PayPal, when eBay suspects the transaction may result in a dissatisfied customer, PayPal will delay release of the payment funds to the seller until the buyer has left a positive feedback or 21 days have passed without a dispute.

I'd like to put context around this last detail for our good sellers: Sellers with an established track record and more than 95 percent satisfied buyers in the last 30 days will not have funds held. And, sellers on eBay will continue to receive the vast majority of payment funds much faster than other marketplaces.
Clowns Suck

Tatsujin

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 12:57:40 PM »
what the f**kin' hell they think they are?!? i hope they go bankrupt soon! :twisted:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 03:41:48 PM »
Yea,I was looking over the new prices,far too much dipping into peoples winnings. they lowers the initial fee as a smoke screen for the fact they soon plan to take 8 percent out as of late feb out of your final value amounts.

guyjin

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 03:55:42 PM »
Just another reason to avoid Evilbay.  :evil:

Incidentally, I can't find an evilbay logo on google search. I smell censorship.  [-(

what the f**kin' hell they think they are?!? i hope they go bankrupt soon! :twisted:

Now, now, Tatsujin.
It's "Who" the f*cking hell do they think they are." Don't mince oaths :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 03:59:02 PM by guyjin »
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Tatsujin

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 04:13:18 PM »
thanx :oops:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

GUTS

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 06:07:28 PM »
What is the problem?  Its obvious they're trying to get people to list shit at .99 starting fee instead of everybody just listing stuff for ridiculous prices like they've been doing, PLUS they're making gallery pictures free now, so what's the big deal?  Yeah they're taking a higher final value fee, but I doubt in the end it will be that much of a difference.

The thing everybody should be pissed about is how f*cking much Paypal takes out of payments, it's ridiculous.  It's something like .30 plus 3.5% of the payment now, f*cking insane.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 06:10:05 PM »
What is the problem?  Its obvious they're trying to get people to list shit at .99 starting fee instead of everybody just listing stuff for ridiculous prices like they've been doing, PLUS they're making gallery pictures free now, so what's the big deal?  Yeah they're taking a higher final value fee, but I doubt in the end it will be that much of a difference.

The thing everybody should be pissed about is how f*cking much Paypal takes out of payments, it's ridiculous.  It's something like .30 plus 3.5% of the payment now, f*cking insane.

Well,ebay owns paypal. With the new high end fee being so much you as a seller have to pay much more. Its def going to affect my sales there and make me rethink what will be worth listing and what wont be.

nat

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 06:10:24 PM »

Yeah, no kidding. I sold a bunch of shit on eBay recently that ended in the ballpark of $2. After eBay took their cut, Paypal showed up and raped me in the alleyway behind my house. After all was said and done in some cases, I took a loss (after shipping). Other cases I was lucky to break even. The biggest hit was the Paypal thing though.

Black Tiger

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 11:59:00 PM »
Although it sounds like eBay takes too much for lower priced auctions, I think that its a good idea to minimize the cost of listing, to make it more affordable to try to sell something. That way you're paying less if you don't end up selling anything.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 05:02:07 AM »
I'm not too worried about the fee change, as it won't make a huge impact on overall costs.

Here's a table showing how the fees stack up (with Paypal's highway robbery fee for gits and shiggles):

Final Value   Old Ebay Fee   New Ebay Fee   Paypal Fee
$10.00   $0.73   $1.03   $0.65
$25.00   $1.51   $2.34   $1.18
$50.00   $2.33   $3.21   $2.05
$100.00   $3.95   $4.96   $3.80

The fee difference is less than a buck, unless the auction ends at a $100 or more, and even lower if there is a higher starting price or reserve price (the above table assumes a starting price of $0.01 and no reserve).  The only thing that worries me is that the scum bag sellers will use this as an excuse to jack their prices even higher.  I won't buy from the douches anyway, but their unrealistically high prices tend to push up auctions from honest sellers too.

P.S. - Tool extraordinare, billmarioman, is currently paying $4.80 a week to list his $10,000 collection.  :shock:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

MurderDate

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 12:19:48 AM »
hey Necro,  THANKS !!  That's actually very helpful. It's not as bad as I thought , but almost.

I sell (records) on Ebay on a weekly basis and the fees can be pretty shitty , let me tell you.  Before you know it you can owe them well over $100.  I don't think I've ever hit the $200 point but this will bring me closer to it !   :-({|=
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

TR0N

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 03:53:12 PM »
Just another reason to avoid Evilbay.  :evil:

Incidentally, I can't find an evilbay logo on google search. I smell censorship.  [-(
t's "Who" the f*cking hell do they think they are." Don't mince oaths :)
Try searching under egay if evilbay doesn't work  :roll:

Still it doesn't make any 'sense these given the profits they make these days...and yet they keep rapeing the sellers that have the good business.

I'm glad i hardly sell on,evilbay any more most of the time if "i got a game to sell" just about any message board will do.

No seller fees no hassle.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec