Author Topic: Best Method to Backup Turbo Games?  (Read 588 times)

offsidewing

Best Method to Backup Turbo Games?
« on: February 06, 2008, 10:03:22 AM »
I may start a new thread.  I've tried searching the forums to answer this question, but only found treachery.

What is the most efficient way of backing up original turbo CD/SCD games.  I want to make back ups of my collection so the kids can play those and don't ruin the originals.

In the immortal words of Leelo, Please help.

Thanks!

nat

Re: Best Method to Backup Turbo Games?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 10:10:37 AM »
offsidewing! Where the hell have you been?

Anyway, it was necessary for me to split this into a new topic.

As to your question-- can't you just do a direct Disc Copy using Nero or whatever you use? I've never tried it, but I would think it would work.

MissaFX

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 10:17:51 AM »
I stand firmly behind CDrwin and the bin+cue format.  The program is free too as long as you want to burn at your drives minimum spin, and you do, don't you?
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Tatsujin

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 11:05:46 AM »
yeah..just keep on with poisoning your poor DUOs and CD-Roms to death :cry:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 11:25:23 AM by Tatsujin »
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

malducci

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 12:26:53 PM »
*If* you have a PC, you could use TurboRip. It's a great utility. Plus it rips in CUE/ISO/WAVE format which is the best format for patch translations with  :-"

Joe Redifer

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 12:31:51 PM »
TurboRip is awesome.

Speaking of which I need to use that for my Ys 4 English translation.  I have the real game, but the translated version has audio made from crappy MP3s or OGGs or something lame like that.  I want the full uncompressed audio of the exact proper length.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 12:33:57 PM by Joe Redifer »

BigT

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 01:25:14 PM »
The easiest ways are to use Alcohol 120%, CloneCD, or CDRwin.  All should work fine. Turbo discs don't have weird copy protection, so reading them with default settings should work fine.  You can create an image and then burn it/ play on the Duo or load it with Daemon Tools or Alcohol to play it on an emulator.

Turborip is a good program, but I don't think it supports burning.  It also has some problems with certain chipsets that don't get along with ASPI.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 01:34:24 PM »
Image the CDs with Turborip them burn them with whatever program using the lowest speed you can. For some reason newer Windows machines have trouble reading PCE games without Turborip, but on Win 98, or OSX direct copies with whatever copy program you have work perfectly.

You might want to stock up on some HOP3s too since the jury is still out on whether or not CD-Rs wreck your hardware.

Honestly though I think just taking care of your CDs is the most practical method. I only play originals and all my discs, (many of which are from 17+ years ago) still play perfectly. Its not like CDs wear out or anything. Just don't be a Donkey Kong with the things.

spenoza

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 01:41:31 PM »
Regardless of which software you use to rip the contents of the CD, I would recommend the ISO+CUE format to store the data, with an uncompressed audio format like WAV accompanying, per Nat's recommendation. This way you can burn it back to disc using any damn program you want  :)

Further, pay top dollar for good discs. I know Taiyo Yuden media is supposed to be durable and high quality. I'm not sure how its reflectivity rates, though. I know there are more expensive "archival" CDRs that might also work well.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

rolins

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 02:17:23 PM »
I stand firmly behind CDrwin and the bin+cue format.  The program is free too as long as you want to burn at your drives minimum spin, and you do, don't you?

I second CDRWin too for all backups and minimum speed limit ain't prob. If your burner is quite new your min speed will be like 4x. Still fast.

I had Alcohol 120% but I've stopped using it since it tends to move tracks out of sync by 2 secs.

malducci

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 03:38:53 PM »
Quote from: rolins
I had Alcohol 120% but I've stopped using it since it tends to move tracks out of sync by 2 secs.

It shouldn't. I should burn the CUE configuration exactly or reject it. Nothing in between. Unless you're burning from MP3 rips - those suck and are almost alway out of sync.

offsidewing

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 03:42:01 PM »
offsidewing! Where the hell have you been?

I bought this thing called an "Xbox 360" in September.

Anyways, I backed up a ton of games circa 1998.  I put the game in my kick ass Pentium II Xeon, copied the game to the hard drive, burnt it back onto a lovely blank and brandless disc.  Viola, every game has worked perfectly since.  Now, I want to do that again and it seems that TurboRip will force me to finish my PhD in Mechanical Engineering if I want to use it.  Although, the DOS 6.22 look of it make me a little ho-nay.

Anyways, my precious kid free "Daddy's working" time at night has been invested in shooting the living daylights out of old hockey buddies in Call of Duty 4.  So, I don't want to be much more of a social hermit learning how to copy Turbo CD games all over again.

offsidewing

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 03:46:19 PM »
Honestly though I think just taking care of your CDs is the most practical method. I only play originals and all my discs, (many of which are from 17+ years ago) still play perfectly. Its not like CDs wear out or anything. Just don't be a Donkey Kong with the things.

Children are the most destructive force on earth.  Dad was right, you can't have anything (with out your kids breaking it)... 

rolins

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 04:03:09 PM »

It shouldn't. I should burn the CUE configuration exactly or reject it. Nothing in between. Unless you're burning from MP3 rips - those suck and are almost alway out of sync.

If you have a correct Cue sheet then, yeah, there should be a problem with Alcohol 120. It's only when you're making a backup image of an original disc that the tracks get out of sync. It been a year since I last used Alcohol 120, so I don't know if the problem was fixed.

malducci

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 04:45:35 PM »

If you have a correct Cue sheet then, yeah, there should be a problem with Alcohol 120. It's only when you're making a backup image of an original disc that the tracks get out of sync. It been a year since I last used Alcohol 120, so I don't know if the problem was fixed.

Ohh, I thought you meant burning them. Heh. Yeah, never used Alcohol to backup a disc yet, just CD mounting and the occasional burn.