Author Topic: work in progress of a new song - tell me what you think!  (Read 645 times)

termis

Re: work in progress of a new song - tell me what you think!
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 04:02:46 PM »
Good stuff  :clap: -- you should hook up with some of the homebrew developers around here and get your music in their games!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 04:09:24 PM »
Nicely done, Kitsune.  I'm not much of a techno fan, but I'm digging your song.

Just one little tip: needs more cowbell.  :wink:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nectarsis

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 04:31:05 PM »
Has some bad ass ness to it :)
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Kitsunexus

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 05:19:03 PM »
Needs more crunch and bass,otherwise sounds great.

Surely you jest?  Or your speakers/headphones are broken.  There's a good deal more bass then there is treble.  There's more bass than in the song Planet Fuzz (Purple Motion). 

My concern is that you do not have enough volume (+1 to 2db maybe?) on your hi-hat, infact the whole high end of the song could use a little more flushing out to make it sound warmer.  I might be a little more agressive in the left/right seperation of the whole song if I was doing it as well.

At about 37 seconds into it, it would be nice to have some kind of hi-hat fill-in, even something just like the hi-hat momentarily increasing in tempo like in many techno songs.  You could also just put in something like a quick double or tripple handclapp right there.

It would be nice if the woodblock like sound alternated left and right, right then left.  After 37 seconds you could change to: center center left right, center center right left.  At about the point where the song currently ends, you could go back to the first pattern.

It's a great start though :D

Sorry Missa,it didn't make my bedrooms floor firing or front firing Altec subs break a sweat. The bass was there,but not on par with other lows in other techno/industrial rock. Given though Kits song here is for  a game,not meant to blow my subs...Maybe your setup is more sensitive? Nothing is wrong with my subs,other music like stuff by KMFDM pushes the subs nicely,esp on the lows on Megalomaniac: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xl6kWsYmIHs
or the punch from this song,WW III: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ShTzei7Cn7g or LOA I sit on acid: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ebeld5WLlW4 .

Hunt down the real stuff though,youtube isn't the best way to listen to music.

Edit: Thought Id add Im using 2 sets,a Altec Lansing ACS45.1 and a ATP3 modded by me to have rca in jacks. Anyone with experience with Altec stuff knows their $100 on up systems hit very very loud make your neighbors pissed window shaking bass.

Just a note on this, I use Altec Lansing PC speakers, and I have to unhook them when I'm making msuic, because it puts out too much bass and gives me a false idea of how the msuic really sounds.

Thanks again for all of the positive reviews!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 07:02:33 PM by Kitsunexus »

MissaFX

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 12:03:05 AM »
I use a pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones from the 90's.  They are plugged into a headphone out and my eq is flat.  The bass on this song is very low though, well below the sweetspot of most woofers.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 11:45:48 AM »
Needs more crunch and bass,otherwise sounds great.

Surely you jest?  Or your speakers/headphones are broken.  There's a good deal more bass then there is treble.  There's more bass than in the song Planet Fuzz (Purple Motion). 

My concern is that you do not have enough volume (+1 to 2db maybe?) on your hi-hat, infact the whole high end of the song could use a little more flushing out to make it sound warmer.  I might be a little more agressive in the left/right seperation of the whole song if I was doing it as well.

At about 37 seconds into it, it would be nice to have some kind of hi-hat fill-in, even something just like the hi-hat momentarily increasing in tempo like in many techno songs.  You could also just put in something like a quick double or tripple handclapp right there.

It would be nice if the woodblock like sound alternated left and right, right then left.  After 37 seconds you could change to: center center left right, center center right left.  At about the point where the song currently ends, you could go back to the first pattern.

It's a great start though :D

Sorry Missa,it didn't make my bedrooms floor firing or front firing Altec subs break a sweat. The bass was there,but not on par with other lows in other techno/industrial rock. Given though Kits song here is for  a game,not meant to blow my subs...Maybe your setup is more sensitive? Nothing is wrong with my subs,other music like stuff by KMFDM pushes the subs nicely,esp on the lows on Megalomaniac: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xl6kWsYmIHs
or the punch from this song,WW III: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ShTzei7Cn7g or LOA I sit on acid: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ebeld5WLlW4 .

Hunt down the real stuff though,youtube isn't the best way to listen to music.

Edit: Thought Id add Im using 2 sets,a Altec Lansing ACS45.1 and a ATP3 modded by me to have rca in jacks. Anyone with experience with Altec stuff knows their $100 on up systems hit very very loud make your neighbors pissed window shaking bass.

Just a note on this, I use Altec Lansing PC speakers, and I have to unhook them when I'm making msuic, because it puts out too much bass and gives me a false idea of how the msuic really sounds.

Thanks again for all of the positive reviews!

When you unhook them what do you use instead? Headphones,ect?

OldTurboBastard

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 11:58:58 AM »
Needs more crunch and bass,otherwise sounds great. Would have been interesting to place it with a actual game/game play.

Very Nice!!

as for the more crunch, any song can use more crunchy guitars.  \m/
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

nigazallucard

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2008, 03:07:59 AM »
Nice work! keep going! I used to do same sometime ago,when I had a project to do a ORIGINAL fighting game using mugen core.. I still have fruityloops and my guitar accomplished on pc.someday I back at work too. Hearing your work gimme "will" to come back.

TODAY'S PHRASE: "All Your Base Are Belong To Us"

Kitsunexus

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2008, 12:12:33 PM »
When you unhook them what do you use instead? Headphones,ect?

Sony personal headphones.

Nice work! keep going! I used to do same sometime ago,when I had a project to do a ORIGINAL fighting game using mugen core.. I still have fruityloops and my guitar accomplished on pc.someday I back at work too. Hearing your work gimme "will" to come back

Dude, upload some of your songs, I want to hear them!