Author Topic: I do not like our new HDTV, Sam I am...  (Read 935 times)

Kitsunexus

I do not like our new HDTV, Sam I am...
« on: February 16, 2008, 07:15:11 PM »
Seriously, 42' of television power and it makes EVERYTHING YOU PLUG INTO IT LOOK LIKE SHIT.

I am going to stick with my Emerson 20' flat-CRT TV for a LONG TIME.

Golgo13

Re: I do not like our new HDTV, Sam I am...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 11:00:18 PM »
Yeah, I know what you mean, unless you are the type that plays "Xbox360" or "PS3" all the time,which if you were, you probably would not be posting on a refined forum of connoisseurs such as this.

I have an HDTV, the only way I can play old school games that look decent is with it hooked up to the laptop and run emulators on it.  When I try to run my real consoles, it looks well...like shit, thats pretty much the best way I can describe it.  Next time I buy a TV, its gonna be one of those old school late 80's or early 90's CRT's, probably a Sony.  Since I pretty much only play old school consoles, a TV to match would be great.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 11:55:50 PM »
Avoid HDTVs if you want to play any console before Dreamcast.  Heck, unless you have a component setup, DC and PS2 would be better on a regular TV as well.

FM-77

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 02:14:30 AM »
HDTV is overrated. 720p is NOT high resolution! :P At 1080p we're talking, but it seems it isn't widely used. 720p should've never been made.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 03:41:37 AM »
At 1080p we're talking, but it seems it isn't widely used.

That's what we have, and it doesn't really look HD to me.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 07:16:48 AM »
That's what we have, and it doesn't really look HD to me.

Are you feeding it from a 1080p source and over an appropriate cable?  If not, then you're relying on the television's upscaling hardware, which is often sub par.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

FM-77

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 09:21:58 AM »
If it doesn't "look" HD, it isn't. I assure you, when you see real HD - you'll REALLY notice the difference.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 10:19:25 AM »
If you have a HD source, like a 360/PS3 or HDDVD/BluRay player using HDMI, and you can't see an *enormous* difference you either:

1) Have a total POS TV
2) Have total POS eyes

If you are just watching cable TV or something it won't make any difference. Shit, it will probably look worse.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 11:29:35 AM »
Quote from: FM-77

720p should've never been made.

1080i should have never been made.  It is totally worthless.  Interlacing is a bad idea.  Though I agree that 1080p should be the ONLY HD format.  That is only a few dozen or so lines away from digital cinema quality which is shown in commercial theaters.

nat

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 01:45:20 PM »

If you are just watching cable TV or something it won't make any difference. Shit, it will probably look worse.

Yeah our regular cable looks like such ass on our new(ish) HD LCD. Far worse than on the CRTs in the other rooms. It sucks, but I really don't care enough to want to get an HD cable box from the cable company.

I really want to get a next-gen disc player so I can at least take advantage of HD movies, but I want this format war to hurry up and end before I do that. Although with the announcements this weekned it looks like that might've happened.

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 02:06:47 PM »
It is funny how it has finally come to time that we have to collect Standard TVs much like classic consoles. 15 years from now on E-bay...... OMFG a Sony 27" Trinitron $1000, yessss. Why the hell can't the companies making HDTVs just simply put in a seperate TV circuit designed to make standard NTSC look at least decent? Surely they should know that people are still using VCRs and of course standard Cable TV.

BTW Nat, a HD cable TV box won't make much difference for your typical channels like Comedy Central, Cartoon Net., USA, FX etc.... The only thing it will help is the same optional channels offered in HD which is just ESPN, TBS and channels that I have no interest in watching ever. I swear it seems like it is going to be another 5 years until HD is more or less fully supported.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 02:11:42 PM »
Yeah, HD cable is f*cking crap. It's higher in resolution sure, but the artifacting is pretty much the same so everything looks like...not even as good as DVD.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 03:42:44 PM »
Though I agree that 1080p should be the ONLY HD format.

Screw that.  Bandwidth be damned, full speed ahead to 2160p!

Why the hell can't the companies making HDTVs just simply put in a seperate TV circuit designed to make standard NTSC look at least decent? Surely they should know that people are still using VCRs and of course standard Cable TV.

Agreed, though some sets do use higher quality scaling hardware than others.

FM-77

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 02:27:59 AM »
Screw that.  Bandwidth be damned, full speed ahead to 2160p!

In the PC world, we have XHD resolution - 2560x1600. It would be interesting to watch TV in that format.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 03:11:29 AM »
In the PC world, we have XHD resolution - 2560x1600. It would be interesting to watch TV in that format.

Week sauce, my friend.  2160p (a.k.a. Quad HDTV) is 3840x2160, though I don't know of any systems (projector, LCD, or whatever) or content that supports it.  They'd also have to come up with a replacement for HDMI, as it's bandwidth is too low; the high resolution displays that you mentioned require a dual head video card to use the bandwidth of two cables.