Author Topic: I do not like our new HDTV, Sam I am...  (Read 937 times)

FM-77

Re: I do not like our new HDTV, Sam I am...
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 03:42:55 AM »
Yeah, it requires a dual-dvi connection. But every video card has two dvi-ports.

How about the new standard that's present on the new Geforce 9 series - Displayport. Does it have enough bandwidth for "quad hdtv"?

Joe Redifer

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 03:55:40 AM »
Actually it requires a single dual-link DVI port.  If you want two 2560x1600 monitors side by side, then you'd need two DVI ports (both dual link).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 04:05:42 AM »
How about the new standard that's present on the new Geforce 9 series - Displayport. Does it have enough bandwidth for "quad hdtv"?

Nope - Displayport maxes out at 2560x1600.  I hope it takes off, as the royalties for HDMI are steep ($10,000 yearly fee plus a nickel for every port).  It's not a big deal for the heavy hitters, but it's costly for the little guys.

Actually it requires a single dual-link DVI port.  If you want two 2560x1600 monitors side by side, then you'd need two DVI ports (both dual link).

True, if your video card has dual-link ports.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Kitsunexus

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 05:56:15 AM »
If you are just watching cable TV or something it won't make any difference. Shit, it will probably look worse.

That's what we're doing.

quoth09

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008, 06:40:42 AM »
I bought a newer Philips CRT last year, as a replacement of my 36" Sony WEGA CRT that I had to get rid of, and it has a digital receiver in it, but the tv is supposed to still be analog. Not sure what is going on with these newer TVs, but this one is ASS. No matter what I do, I can't get it to look anything like what my previous unit displayed. The colors are off, and no matter how I calibrate it, I can't ever seem to get the picture that I really want out of it.

I jumped on this because the stores were clearing out other models, and the TV that I did want, they stopped carrying (I was waiting for it to drop down in price). They replaced it with another model that has a different frame color, but has no S-Video! The stores even say it has one, but it doesn't! There is just a sticker there to plug the hole. So out of fear that I wouldn't be able to get another one before I moved, I jumped, and now I feel f*cked. I need to start looking around for something else and ditch this piece of shit. I don't care to have a damn ATSC tuner on my tv anyway. I don't watch anything besides DVDs and play video games on it. Also, all the newer ones that have ATSC tuners in them seem to change channels slower.

For those unfortunate to only have the option of an HD unit, the only way you will ever get your game systems and older units to look good on an HD TV is to buy a very expensive upscaler that gives you next to no delay. Look at spending probably double what the TV cost. That is currently the only solution.
Warm milk, turkey, those can make you sleepy(well, the consumption of, you can't just hand around a turkey or a glass of warm milk, & expect to fall asleep).

SNKNostalgia

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2008, 09:21:57 AM »
Yeah, HD cable is f*cking crap. It's higher in resolution sure, but the artifacting is pretty much the same so everything looks like...not even as good as DVD.

The only benefit for me is that you do get to see the optional HD versions of some regular channels. I have On Demand (I only rent free movies really) and Stars/Encore, so it would be worth it to be able to watch those in higher res and in component video even on a Standard TV. Plus, my regular Digital Cable Box only has composite and stereo jacks. It also causes interference through my AV switcher so I have to unscrew the cable when I watch DVDs or play games. Blpthhhhhh!!!! There is even a black screen with RF like interference when the box is turned off on the line-in channel. It is like it takes analog, turns it into digital, and then back to analog. Also, I could have sworn they made regular boxes with S-video jacks at least a generation or two ago. I may just upgrade the box soon.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 03:01:27 PM »
Quote from: quoth09

it has a digital receiver in it, but the tv is supposed to still be analog.

It has a digital tuner, which means it can tune into a digital broadcast (MPEG 2 SD and HD, though it probably displays everything as SD).  It probably lacks an HDMI port so all connections are analog straight to the tube.

quoth09

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 03:29:17 PM »
Quote from: quoth09

it has a digital receiver in it, but the tv is supposed to still be analog.

It has a digital tuner, which means it can tune into a digital broadcast (MPEG 2 SD and HD, though it probably displays everything as SD).  It probably lacks an HDMI port so all connections are analog straight to the tube.

yeah it does. it down converts to 480i SD. no HDMI port, only standard up to component.
Warm milk, turkey, those can make you sleepy(well, the consumption of, you can't just hand around a turkey or a glass of warm milk, & expect to fall asleep).

Kitsunexus

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 04:10:15 PM »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
This is our TV, btw.

Insignia, eh?  I don't know whose scaling hardware is in that thing, but at that price, I wouldn't have expected much.  With televisions, scotch, and hookers - you get what you pay for.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Kitsunexus

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 04:23:46 PM »
This is our TV, btw.

Insignia, eh?  I don't know whose scaling hardware is in that thing, but at that price, I wouldn't have expected much. 

I actually like the TV now though...it was in ZOOM mode, we put it in WIDE mode and it looks great.

nat

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 04:40:56 PM »
Insignia is a store-exclusive (Best Buy?) brand name they stick on all their stuff.... The TV was actually manufactured by a company called "Norcent"

Kitsunexus

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 04:43:37 PM »
Insignia is a store-exclusive (Best Buy?) brand name they stick on all their stuff.

That's true, I've seen Insignia MP3 players. But yeah, I've made peace with the TV.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 05:31:29 PM »
I wonder which is better: Insignia (Best Buy) or Realistic (Radio Shack).

Kitsunexus

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 05:35:06 PM »
I wonder which is better: Insignia (Best Buy) or Realistic (Radio Shack).

Realistic, by far. Before we moved out to our new house, I had a pair of Realistic bookshelf speakers. They were PHENOMENAL, almost up there with pro audio monitors. For whatever reason though, we left them behind. :(