Author Topic: HD-DVD officially dead (finally!)  (Read 4263 times)

Kitsunexus

Re: HD-DVD officially dead (finally!)
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2008, 08:03:11 PM »
No region lockouts
You can look up codes or download firmware that remove region lockout for most players.
That sounds like more of an inconvience than flipping discs!
[/QUOTE]
But you only do this one time, and then your player is region-free. You have to flip discs everytime.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2008, 08:07:23 PM »
Wait for an official statement from Toshiba themselves before believing this kind of unofficial report.

http://gizmodo.com/357957/toshiba-kills-hd-dvd-official

Turbo D

« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2008, 08:12:11 PM »
LD pros:

LaserActive turbo pac and genesis pac
Cool record like form
no compression

LD cons:

disk flipping (also like records, haha)
composite quality video

DVD pros:

compact
component quality video
readily available

DVD cons:

artifacts
poor transfers

Winner= Bluray  :mrgreen:

Keranu

« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2008, 08:14:03 PM »
No region lockouts
You can look up codes or download firmware that remove region lockout for most players.

But you only do this one time, and then your player is region-free. You have to flip discs everytime.
[/QUOTE]I remember my bro trying to get firmware on one of his DVD players and couldn't get it to work. Besides, region lockout is just gay to begin with. Flipping a disc takes like half a minute and is usually done at appropriate times. Like I said, I actually like flipping discs because it's a nice time to get up and take a bathroom and refreshment break, like how old theaters used to do. And again, there are dual sided players if you are too troubled to flip a disc :) .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Turbo D

« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2008, 08:17:08 PM »
Do LDs' shatter if you drop them? What are they made of?

Keranu

« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2008, 08:21:12 PM »
I think it would depend how and where your dropped them, but I would say no generally. Not exactly sure what they're made of.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Kitsunexus

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2008, 08:22:04 PM »
I remember my bro trying to get firmware on one of his DVD players and couldn't get it to work.

He must have either:

1. Burned the disc improperly

2. Not followed the instructions

or

3. Put the CD in upside down

because that shit is like second nature.

Keranu

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2008, 08:23:41 PM »
But the fact that you have to download files and burn them onto a disc just to make your player region free is stupid. I'm against region lock for anything. :P

Kitsunexus

« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2008, 08:25:36 PM »
But the fact that you have to download files and burn them onto a disc just to make your player region free is stupid. I'm against region lock for anything. :P

Well you don't usually have to unlock APEX or Cyberhome players, but speaking from experience, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.  :-&

SignOfZeta

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2008, 11:37:55 PM »

No, I'm being serious. Why does everybody think LD>DVD?

I don't think that LD is better than DVD, I just think that DVD shouldn't have been released until it was totally superior to LD in every single way, like Muse was. In some ways LD is better than DVD, and things shouldn't have turned out that way. HDDVD/BR is superior to LD except for region lock out, copy protection, and cover art. This makes them worth to exist.

Whatever  player you have, it *does* produce artifacting, Major artifacting. Its a problem no DVD player can get rid of. Some players are better than others, but they all produce a night sky with big blocks of crap jumping around in it. If you can't see it, you just can't see it. That doesn't change anything. The almost total lack of artifacting is the best thing about the HD formats for me. The resolution isn't important at all. 640x480 proscan with no artifacts would be good enough for me.

nodtveidt

« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2008, 12:27:42 AM »
This thread is pretty funny :D The number of fanboys here is simply incredible.

Toshiba has still not released a press statement. Sorry, Kitsu, but that website, like all the others, are simply feeding off of the same bogus report. Toshiba's last press release was in January, which was an announcement for their entry into the external HD craze.

Though this whole "format war" is pretty hilarious. What choices...hrm...back Sony or back Toshiba/Microsoft? Hrm...which is the lesser of two evils?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2008, 01:31:39 AM »

In my experience, very few DVD players require a firmware update; the region code is set via the remote control in the service menus.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

guyjin

« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2008, 01:45:54 AM »

Yeah, that's one of the few benefits of the PS3. Too bad there aren't any games you'd want to import.  :-({|=
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

quoth09

« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2008, 05:02:20 AM »
No region lockouts

[/QUOTE]
Not every player has region-free codes.
Warm milk, turkey, those can make you sleepy(well, the consumption of, you can't just hand around a turkey or a glass of warm milk, & expect to fall asleep).

quoth09

« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2008, 05:08:44 AM »

No. At most they would crack or chip, just like a CD or DVD would if it were heavier. I have never had one break from any kind of drop or anything like that.

To quote wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laserdisc

The standard home video laserdisc is 30 cm (11.81 inches) in diameter and made up of two single-sided aluminum discs layered in plastic and bonded with glue.
Warm milk, turkey, those can make you sleepy(well, the consumption of, you can't just hand around a turkey or a glass of warm milk, & expect to fall asleep).