Author Topic: HD-DVD officially dead (finally!)  (Read 4281 times)

quoth09

Re: HD-DVD officially dead (finally!)
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2008, 05:12:25 AM »
This thread is pretty funny :D The number of fanboys here is simply incredible.

Toshiba has still not released a press statement. Sorry, Kitsu, but that website, like all the others, are simply feeding off of the same bogus report. Toshiba's last press release was in January, which was an announcement for their entry into the external HD craze.

Though this whole "format war" is pretty hilarious. What choices...hrm...back Sony or back Toshiba/Microsoft? Hrm...which is the lesser of two evils?

:cry:
http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080219005651&newsLang=en
Warm milk, turkey, those can make you sleepy(well, the consumption of, you can't just hand around a turkey or a glass of warm milk, & expect to fall asleep).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2008, 05:12:45 AM »
Toshiba has still not released a press statement. Sorry, Kitsu, but that website, like all the others, are simply feeding off of the same bogus report. Toshiba's last press release was in January, which was an announcement for their entry into the external HD craze.

It's over for HD-DVD, and here's the word (straight from the horse's mouth).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

quoth09

« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2008, 05:29:40 AM »
interlacing/deinterlacing artifacts

I'm guessing that's the one I'm talking about, since I have a vague understanding of what interlacing means thanks to ZSNES, but I'll be honest with you, I didn't understand any of that other stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlace
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinterlacing
http://www.videohelp.com/

Go do your own research on this Kitsune. ZSNES is not an example of what interlacing/deinterlacing is. ZSNES uses that as a mock filter. In fact, all of those on there are junk. Interlacing/Deinterlacing is NOT a filter, and all those filters do is make the games look like ass.

DVDs look really good on my computer.

But you probably have a zillion-dollar computer.

...Then I guess myself, Michael, and everyone else I have ever known have 'zillion-dollar' computers. I guess all 5 of my systems are 'zillion-dollar' computers.  :lol:
Funny how I spent less on any of them than you did on the one you just bought not too long ago.
I seriously think you need to clean your monitor. PowerDVD and even a 300mhz computer looks good on a DVD with no problems, and that is severely outdated and basic.

BTW, you want to see artifacts? Go watch the first 'The Matrix' DVD that came out back in 1999. Namely the scene where Morpheus is sitting in the corner after Neo threw up. All those blocks and noise is artifacts.
That disc was packed with tons of special features and all kinds of crap, and a result the video severely suffers.

Artifacts are caused by a combination of poor quality encoding, and low bitrates. Think of it as the equivalent to a low quality MP3, just in video form. It's not so common anymore, b/c of dual-layer and the format has evolved and encoding techniques have become much more advanced than they were at the beginning.

Maybe after you see the artifacts on stuff, you will understand what the 'hoopla' is about laserdiscs, and why myself, Michael, Keranu, and several others here have or have had them, and cherish them more than most DVDs. Maybe if you were around when VHS was the dominating format, then you might understand. All full-frame/pan and scan releases, with the exception of a few here and there. At least VHS had no artifacting, even if it was lower resolution, and had less detail.

Just like Keranu said earlier to a response to you saying that 'every movie that I have ever wanted has been released on DVD':
A lot of new movies DO suck. To the point that where I used to go to the theater multiple times in one year, I am barely going now. Hollywood is pumping out nothing but remakes and family oriented crap these days for the most part. With the exception of a few franchises and series, if they stopped making movies tomorrow, I wouldn't be that upset.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 05:48:03 AM by quoth09 »
Warm milk, turkey, those can make you sleepy(well, the consumption of, you can't just hand around a turkey or a glass of warm milk, & expect to fall asleep).

FM-77

« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2008, 05:32:48 AM »
These 3 quotes from this thread alone, prove that you obviously know nothing about movies, movie studios, transfers or anything else about the industry, not to mention you are nothing but a pirate that has no insight past their download speed.

You know why? Because I don't give a damn about movies, and especially not the movie industry (although I would love to witness its downfall). I don't watch movies - with a few (emphasis on few) exceptions. I made this thread because I am THRILLED that a movie format has died.

quoth09

« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2008, 05:40:46 AM »
These 3 quotes from this thread alone, prove that you obviously know nothing about movies, movie studios, transfers or anything else about the industry, not to mention you are nothing but a pirate that has no insight past their download speed.

You know why? Because I don't give a damn about movies, and especially not the movie industry (although I would love to witness its downfall). I don't watch movies - with a few (emphasis on few) exceptions. I made this thread because I am THRILLED that a movie format has died.

Thanks for proving my point for me.
Now, go scuttle on back to Pirate's Bay.

FM-77

« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2008, 05:45:51 AM »
Thanks for proving my point for me.
Now, go scuttle on back to Pirate's Bay.

Way ahead of you. See you there?

ceti alpha

« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2008, 06:00:19 AM »
Way ahead of you. See you there?

I'm more of a mininova guy. But Piratebay is OK too.

DVDs are really just too expensive to buy regularly, at least for me - I'd personally rather spend my coin on PCE/Turbo games.  :P  DVDs have not really gone down in price at all. Though Walmart and Best Buy have pretty good prices on old stuff. Now that Blu Ray is the official standard, we can look forward to even more inflated prices.  #-o

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

GUTS

« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2008, 06:47:47 AM »
You guys should all just do Netflix, I haven't wasted money on a DVD or Blu-ray in ages (blu-rays I've never bought, period).  I don't know why people continue to buy movies when there's netflix (except for seasons or box sets, I can totally understand why people would still buy them).  Blu-rays are f*cking expensive, I don't think I would ever buy one brand new, the only one I own is The Simpsons Movie and I got that one for super cheap off some guy.

nodtveidt

« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2008, 08:18:23 AM »
Okay, NOW the official press release has come out. So NOW, we can OFFICIALLY say that HD-DVD is dead. FINALLY.

Pcenginefx

« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2008, 08:21:34 AM »
You guys should all just do Netflix, I haven't wasted money on a DVD or Blu-ray in ages (blu-rays I've never bought, period).  I don't know why people continue to buy movies when there's netflix (except for seasons or box sets, I can totally understand why people would still buy them).  Blu-rays are f*cking expensive, I don't think I would ever buy one brand new, the only one I own is The Simpsons Movie and I got that one for super cheap off some guy.

I'm in the same boat at GUTS here - I've been a Netflix user for years and love them.  My deal is 2 out at a time/unlimited rentals a month, online "watch it now" viewing (also unlimited), Blu-ray rentals...Japanese imports...anime....they got it all.  use DVDfab to do an easy VOB rip of whatever I want....I'll only now buy Blu-ray movies if I really love the film (don't buy DVDs anymore).
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

SignOfZeta

« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2008, 09:22:24 AM »
I would always want to buy a movie like Blade Runner, Grand Prix, Nausicaa, etc, but I've been using Netflix for years and I f*cking *love* it.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2008, 12:29:12 PM »
I myself buy movies I really like. I rarely make  a leap and buy something I have not seen unless enough people I trust judgement wise have told me its good enough to own,not just a rental.
I am in full support of supporting movie companies and giving them money for good releases. if they entertained me then they earned my cash.

I dont care what format its on,LD,DVD,if I want it and its  a good release of it to the best audio/visual quality the format can offer,Ill buy it.
I wasnt sold on Blu Ray or HD-DVD,but did want the HD Dvd format to survive just because Sony has had  a poor track record with producing LD and Blu Ray disc them selves.

If other (reliable) companies start to manufacture them I will step into that format slowly,just like any other I have messed with.

I dont plan on replacing any of my dvds I own with newer versions though,even if better picture is present,unless there are many extra features present and better packaging/presentation.

For me Im still very pleased with the visual quality/audio LD provided,and most DVDs I own that are re-releases,ect....

Kitsunexus

« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2008, 06:23:05 PM »
I know what I like, so I just buy it. I've only sold some DVDs once, and it wasn't worth it, so now I buy to keep.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2008, 07:08:28 PM »
I know what I like, so I just buy it. I've only sold some DVDs once, and it wasn't worth it, so now I buy to keep.

Bop Bop Peranu says HD is dead,buy more DVDs.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2008, 07:12:18 PM »
...huh? o_0