Author Topic: Every Sci-fi you've ever loved is wrong.  (Read 1100 times)

guyjin

Every Sci-fi you've ever loved is wrong.
« on: February 20, 2008, 06:30:51 PM »
http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/index.html

interesting website, but it will show you that every sci-fi you've ever loved is impossible.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Joe Redifer

Re: Every Sci-fi you've ever loved is wrong.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 06:53:47 PM »
That site looks boring.

Summary, please?

Kitsunexus

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 07:23:34 PM »
This is by that awesome Asian physicist dude, right? He could talk for hours, he's FASCINATING!

SignOfZeta

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 11:37:59 PM »
If you mean Michio Kaku, no, I don't think it is.

Anyway, what about Brazil/1984, Max Headroom, and Blade Runner? I don't see anything ruining those movies on here, and those are my favorites. Also it says, "...space pirates are highly unlikely". Not only do I disagree, but I consider that a nihilistic statement. If there are no pirates in space there might as well not even be a future.

Black Tiger

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 12:32:36 AM »

Anyway, what about Brazil/1984, Max Headroom, and Blade Runner? I don't see anything ruining those movies on here, and those are my favorites. Also it says, "...space pirates are highly unlikely". Not only do I disagree, but I consider that a nihilistic statement. If there are no pirates in space there might as well not even be a future.

This was probably the same kind of thinking that says that there aren't any sea fairing pirates around today, which is completely untrue. Pirates are like hookers.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 02:00:22 AM »
Talk about lame.  Really?!?  Science Fiction isn't necessarily 100% truth, whod've thunk it.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ceti alpha

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 02:16:30 AM »
I do like how he uses the pic from STII TWOK to show that space is three dimensional.  :mrgreen: As for space fighters not being able to turn on a dime - see the new BSG.

In the end it's just science FICTION. Hey sometimes science fiction actually influences real science.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nat

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 03:30:09 AM »
http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/index.html

interesting website, but it will show you that every sci-fi you've ever loved is impossible.

I just tried to find something to that effect on that link, but there are about 67,000 pages linked from there.

In the few I visited I didn't find any kind of information that disproves anything.

guyjin

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 03:45:10 AM »
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

nat

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 04:01:49 AM »
Aha, OK.

Although most of that stuff is common sense (space is three dimensional, no sound in space, no friction in space, etc), a good portion of it is just someone's opinion on what is practical (the orientation a spaceship will fly, the size of a spaceship ("Space ships are not boats"), space ships don't have windows, etc). These things aren't impossible by any stretch of the imagination and are only "wrong" in as much as it was the author's opinion that it just wouldn't happen that way. He even proves that with some of his own comments. I can build a space ship any size and shape that I want, and fly it any direction I want. I can make the deck layout like a skyscraper (as he put it), or like the Enterprise. It doesn't matter.

At the end of the day, that article doesn't disprove anything, and doesn't tell me anything I didn't already know.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 04:22:00 AM »
My sentiments exactly, nat.  No windows, eh?  Our technology must be extremely advanced, considering that the space shuttle, the ISS, Soyuz spacecraft, the Buran shuttle, and the upcoming Orion craft all have windows.  He prefaces a few of his points by saying 'based on the limits of current technology', so he apparently doesn't understand that Sci-Fi is usually based in the future and shouldn't be limited by what we now know.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Joe Redifer

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 04:52:14 AM »
What?  Space is three dimensional??????  OH Shit! EVERY SCIENCE FICTION I KNOW IS WRONG!!!!!

ceti alpha

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 05:40:00 AM »
What?  Space is three dimensional??????  OH Shit! EVERY SCIENCE FICTION I KNOW IS WRONG!!!!!

I do somewhat agree that sci fi doesn't illustrate the three dimensional aspect of space - that there is no upside down or right side up. It would be kinda cool to see space ships meeting in space but not on exactly the same plane or both positioned exactly so that it does actually seem like they are on the ocean. I think the Star Trek Animated Series (TAS) actually did that once.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Kitsunexus

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 05:44:18 AM »

Damn, that's who I was hoping for. :(

GUTS

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 06:35:41 AM »
I think his point is that war ships won't have windows, which they wouldn't.  Great site.