Author Topic: Every Sci-fi you've ever loved is wrong.  (Read 1101 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Every Sci-fi you've ever loved is wrong.
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 08:10:25 AM »
I think his point is that war ships won't have windows, which they wouldn't.  Great site.

Space isn't an ocean, so they're not 'ships' anyway.  :roll:

Pointless naming conventions aside, the reasoning behind not having windows is faulty.  I'll completely ignore the radiation hurdle, as leaded glass has been available for years; and if today's spacecraft have windows, then it's nutty to think that future generations would be unable to engineer solutions to the structural challenges that windows impose. 
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Kitsunexus

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 08:44:03 AM »
I'm not really a big Star Trek fan, but didn't the Enterprise not have any windows, just that holographic screen thing?  :-k

nat

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 09:51:55 AM »
There were a couple portholes here and there, but yeah, mainly the 3D holographic image screen.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 10:06:12 AM »
True, though that was likely a choice made due to modeling limitations for exterior shots and the cost of additional backdrops for interior shots.  By the time the Next Generation rolled around, the Enterprise was riddled with windows.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

MissaFX

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 07:39:55 AM »
The article is plain wrong on many accounts, such as the following:

Far too many SF shows make the scientifically inaccurate assumption that space travel will be just like ocean travel. This is very wrong.

Wrong, Sci-fi shows do not make this assumption, it more so has to do with the constraints of early model capture processes.  It is not something sci-fi shows wished to have, nor said science supports.

There is no limit on their orientation either. If you saw the Starship Enterprise approaching the Starship Intrepid and one was "upside down" with respect to another, you might think this was wrong but in reality there is nothing preventing this.

Wrong buddy, there is a system in place which prevents this, it's a computer with a background process which "syncs" the alignment of Federation vessels.  This is addressed in ST:tNG or DS9, I forget which atm.

You also cannot turn on a dime. The faster the ship is moving, the wider your turns will be. Your spacecraft will NOT move like an airplane, it will act more like a heavily loaded 18-wheeler truck moving at high speed on a huge sheet of black ice.

Ever play Wing Commander?  Ever see the current Battlestar?  How about Macross?  Babylon 5?  Yes you can turn on a dime in space, as nearly any sci-fi with jet fighter like craft has opted to put manuvering thrusters all over the ship.  Even Star Trek craft are covered in impulse and more conventional fusion thrusters.  Any craft can be disigned to flip on itself, you just then need to thrust in the new direction. 

In the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey, you may have noticed that the spacecraft Discovery was traveling to Jupiter with nary a puff coming out of the rocket motors.

This is why it makes no sense to talk about the "range" of a rocket. Any rocket not in orbit around a planet or in the Sun's gravity well has a range of infinity. In theory it can do a burn and travel to, say, the Andromeda Galaxy, it is only that it will take millions of year to get there. Instead of a rocket's range, one should talk about a rocket's delta V capacity.

Wrong again, objects in space are not in fixed locations!  Objects in space are in constant motion, you are not trying to go from point A to B on a fixed line like this guy seems to think, a ship has to thrust in order to end up in the same place in space that an object will be!  With the years we put between each "deep" solarsystem mission it gives us time to only launch things during optimal windows, where they can use as little thrust as possible, in a 2001 future with constant commercial space flights, each flight will use different amounts of thrust to get from object A to B (not points in space).  Also, a rockets "range" is usually a description of either the atomic fuel core's life or the amount of provisions on board, not how many space miles or whatever it can clear before it runs out of fuel.

And many, many other problems exist on this page.  It seems like he is trying to make himself easy arguments in many areas by using extreemly defunct atomic rockets as the subject of many arguments.  Surely he doesn't actually think we would make a stealth device that using the power of atomic reactions, pretty directly, to fly through space...
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Kitsunexus

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 08:14:12 AM »
Arwing > EVERYTHING.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 11:46:24 AM »
Sorry, every sci fi you've ever known is WRONG and therefore should not be allowed to be enjoyable!  The guy who wrote the web page is right!  He is the go-to guy for everything about space.  He may not be a rocket scientist, but he has read a few books!  Therefore how could he be wrong?  He has something to prove and we all need to listen!

GUTS

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 01:37:10 PM »
Why don't you guys try arguing with HIM instead of posting here if you think he's such a f*cking moron? 

Joe Redifer

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 01:39:37 PM »
Maybe because the thread is here and it'd be less fun to argue with him via e-mail.  Should we only say positive things in a thread?  Why does it bother you so much that opinions are expressed here?

Keranu

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 02:03:57 PM »
Science-Fiction, not Science-Fact. If I wanted to bore myself with Science-Fact, I would watch the NASA channel. Oh boy ships with no lasers, HOW INTERESTING!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

rag-time4

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 02:20:34 PM »
Science-Fiction, not Science-Fact. If I wanted to bore myself with Science-Fact, I would watch the NASA channel. Oh boy ships with no lasers, HOW INTERESTING!

PWNED!! :lol: ](*,) :dance:

GUTS

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 03:39:09 PM »
It bothers me because GUYJIN was the one who said "every sci-fi you've ever loved is wrong", not the f*cking author of the article.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 06:26:17 PM »
Yes I know, and I like to poke fun at that subtly as well.  But the other guy's site clearly infers that.  In fact the guy on the site seems to be pissed that science fiction even exists.  I bet he has no personality.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 06:33:27 PM »
Well GUTS, if you get mad because someone said your fictional TV show universe was wrong, what if said universe RAPED BABIES? Would you STILL justify them? PEDO!

MurderDate

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 11:55:10 PM »
Kitsunexus voted PC ENGINE FX'S NUMBER ONE MOST ANNOYING FORUM MEMBER!   Congrats !!    :dance:
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse