Author Topic: MY THOUGHTS ON POP 'N MAGIC  (Read 1186 times)

esteban

Re: MY THOUGHTS ON POP 'N MAGIC
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 02:04:22 AM »
The same fellow who bashed Pop N Magic called Astralius (runin's favorite game) a "promising game". Well, he didn't say that, but he did create a positive impression of the game.

Maybe he played only the shark part.

Otherwise, he's insane. 

if you are familiar with the genesis version, this translation is virtually identical graphically, with the exception that most of the dual-plane scrolling is missing.

The above quote is from Victor Ireland talking about the pce version of forgotten worlds, but he did say that the pce version had a better looking weapon shop :-s

Ha! A long time ago, long before runin's legendary commentary on Astralius, I was lamenting the fact that it was never released here in the States (sorry!). To be fair, I had been warned by Kaminari that my feelings were misplaced,  but that didn't stop me discounting Ireland's thoughts on the game... (Go to the "IGS" heading). There are links to the page scans in there.

If I had time, I'd re-write this section with runin's insights in mind. :)
  |    | 

runinruder

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 07:42:40 AM »
Ha! A long time ago, long before runin's legendary commentary on Astralius, I was lamenting the fact that it was never released here in the States (sorry!).

I can understand that.  Before I bought the game, I thought it was going to be at least decent.  It looked pretty cool from a distance, and I'd enjoyed other IGS efforts.

But, oh lord, Astralius is so, so bad.  I honestly can't think of a game that was more painful to play through than that one. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 05:53:57 PM »
The same fellow who bashed Pop N Magic called Astralius (runin's favorite game) a "promising game". Well, he didn't say that, but he did create a positive impression of the game.

Otherwise, he's insane. 

if you are familiar with the genesis version, this translation is virtually identical graphically, with the exception that most of the dual-plane scrolling is missing.

The above quote is from Victor Ireland talking about the pce version of forgotten worlds, but he did say that the pce version had a better looking weapon shop :-s

Ha! A long time ago, long before runin's legendary commentary on Astralius, I was lamenting the fact that it was never released here in the States (sorry!). To be fair, I had been warned by Kaminari that my feelings were misplaced,  but that didn't stop me discounting Ireland's thoughts on the game... (Go to the "IGS" heading). There are links to the page scans in there.

In that article, you mention Radiance only bringing Sidearms to the table, but, IIRC, both Talespin & Darkwing Duck were by Radiance as well!  That's 3 games they did :)

esteban

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 01:09:28 AM »
Ha! A long time ago, long before runin's legendary commentary on Astralius, I was lamenting the fact that it was never released here in the States (sorry!).

I can understand that.  Before I bought the game, I thought it was going to be at least decent.  It looked pretty cool from a distance, and I'd enjoyed other IGS efforts.

But, oh lord, Astralius is so, so bad.  I honestly can't think of a game that was more painful to play through than that one. 

Truer words were never spoken. When I finally got around to playing Astralius, I realized that you endured quite a bit of pain for brief moments of "relief" (i.e. less crappy moments) in the game.

Plus, I'm a sucker for musical motifs in video games, movies (that's why the live-action He-Man movie was elevated to a higher level of goodness).

Otherwise, he's insane. 

In that article, you mention Radiance only bringing Sidearms to the table, but, IIRC, both Talespin & Darkwing Duck were by Radiance as well!  That's 3 games they did :)
You are totally correct, sir. I never had Darkwing Duck (I just got it a few weeks ago) and I never paid attention to Talespin. I will have to correct this :) Thanks.
  |    | 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 05:47:11 PM »
Also, I guess I might mention, that Tengen was supposedly working on Marbel Madness & Peter the Packrat(or something like that).

guyjin

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 03:35:10 AM »
aw, man! marble madness for the TG16 would have been so awesome.  :cry:
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

ceti alpha

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 07:58:02 AM »
aw, man! marble madness for the TG16 would have been so awesome.  Crying or Very sad

Oh, I know.  :cry:

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

FM-77

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 02:03:23 PM »

esteban

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 02:22:31 PM »
Also, I guess I might mention, that Tengen was supposedly working on Marbel Madness & Peter the Packrat(or something like that).
Get out! Damn, that would have been awesome (not sure what the hell Peter the Packrat was, but how can you go wrong with a title like that?0
  |    | 

Sinistron

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 02:41:45 PM »
I love the graphics.

Fail.

Fail?---
ummm- ok...  I don't love the graphics?  8-[
Will that help me get a passing grade, Professor Asshat?

Perhaps you can enlighten the classroom with what the graphics on what is essentially an 8-bit single screen bubble bobble type platformer should look like and exactly how they should contextually respond to said graphics while experiencing them.

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
Quote from: Tatsujin
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

awack

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »
 :D Don't let him get you riled up, the graphics are great, i don't know of any single screen platformer with better graphics on either the Duo, Snes or genesis.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2008, 06:00:31 PM »
Get out! Damn, that would have been awesome (not sure what the hell Peter the Packrat was, but how can you go wrong with a title like that?0

I played the packrat game awhile back, I think I have the rom & played it on MAME.  It's ok, but both would've been cool to have, no doubt, especially Marble Madness!

esteban

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 01:48:44 PM »

I played the packrat game awhile back, I think I have the rom & played it on MAME.  It's ok, but both would've been cool to have, no doubt, especially Marble Madness!
Hey PD, I finally found some screenshots for Riftwar Saga! You mentioned this game a bazillion years ago, but I had never even heard of it. I looks like it could have been pretty neat. Do you know anything about it?
  |    | 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2008, 07:38:17 PM »

Hey PD, I finally found some screenshots for Riftwar Saga! You mentioned this game a bazillion years ago, but I had never even heard of it. I looks like it could have been pretty neat. Do you know anything about it?

I know nothing about it, other then those few pictures.  Where did you find them?

One thing, an old friend of mine who visited me way back then(92?) told me that his friends dad, was working on some kind of hack n slash for the Turbo, & my friend got to play it, & said it was pretty cool, but, they cancelled it for some reason.  I've always wondered if that game he spoke of was indeed Riftwar Saga.  I'd love to find roms of these unfinished games.  Who knows how many unfinished games there truly are, hidden somewhere!

esteban

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2008, 12:59:44 PM »

I know nothing about it, other then those few pictures.  Where did you find them?

One thing, an old friend of mine who visited me way back then(92?) told me that his friends dad, was working on some kind of hack n slash for the Turbo, & my friend got to play it, & said it was pretty cool, but, they cancelled it for some reason.  I've always wondered if that game he spoke of was indeed Riftwar Saga.  I'd love to find roms of these unfinished games.  Who knows how many unfinished games there truly are, hidden somewhere!
Seriously, you had the inside scoop! Ghost Manor, unknown hack-n-slash, etc. !

I posted a link to the Riftwar scan, but it didn't generate any interest (I'm not sure why... the game is a big mystery! Who doesn't like a mystery?)

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=4729.msg82549#msg82549

Apparently, there was a series of fantasy novels based on the Riftwar / Midkemia universe, so this game was definitely based on the book(s). That alone is somewhat interesting. I don't know if the books are any good, but I'll probably check 'em out just for the heck of it.

I have more neat stuff I found coming soon. :)
  |    |