Author Topic: Your Favorite System From This Generation  (Read 1363 times)

Black Tiger

Re: Your Favorite System From This Generation
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 09:16:02 AM »
Dreamcast.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

termis

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 09:32:58 AM »
+1 on Dreamcast.

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 10:58:05 AM »
Well Xiphas, if I had to pick, I'd choose the PS2.

Molly is not me.  They haven't banned my ass (yet).  Place your bets on who really started this thread.

I did pick PS2 though!

nat

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 11:32:33 AM »
f*ck it, I added Dreamcast since it will win this poll.

Also, I turned on the ability for you guys to change your vote in case you voted for something else but want to vote for Dreamcast.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 11:58:01 AM by nat »

ceti alpha

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 01:42:42 PM »
Xbox = power

Seriously though, I went with Xbox. However, I also think that generation - as with the current generation of consoles, save for the Wii - was somewhat less than revolutionary.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

SignOfZeta

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 02:58:52 PM »
Xbox = power

Seriously though, I went with Xbox. However, I also think that generation - as with the current generation of consoles, save for the Wii - was somewhat less than revolutionary.

You must be drinking the bleach or something. The Xbox is by far the worst system in this list. Aside from modding it to play bootleg movies and ROMs the thing has about 4 good games, all of them Sega.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 03:25:43 PM »
Burnout 3 and especially Revenge were best on the Xbox BY FAR simply because of the awesome 5.1 sound.

Turbo D

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 04:53:56 PM »
I voted ps2 since it has the best games imo. The dreamcast was a close second though. I had bought a dreamcast on launch, too bad it failed  :|

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2008, 05:43:27 PM »
I would have voted Dreamcast if I had the chance, now that I can I'm switching votes.

Sorry Sony.

ceti alpha

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2008, 06:21:48 PM »
You must be drinking the bleach or something. The Xbox is by far the worst system in this list. Aside from modding it to play bootleg movies and ROMs the thing has about 4 good games, all of them Sega.

bah!!  =; Any game on the Xbox compared to it's cousin on the PS2 was obviously better.  :P EA Sports games, and I played a lot of NHL 2002, were so much better on the Xbox than on the PS2. Smoother gameplay. The Xbox was like a computer without Windows, but with a top of the line (for it's time) graphics card. I basically bought my Xbox for Burnout Takedown, and Halo's 1 and 2. But like you said, I now use it mostly to play Bootlegs/ROMS/Youtube, though I still throw on Burnout Takedown, Gotham, and Rally Sport Challenge 2 sometimes. In the end, most of my gaming consists of old school games anyway. I never really felt the "NEED" to get a new console since the TG-16.

I have to say though, I'm curious to see the Dreamcast in action. Only played it a few times with the display model. I should really nab the one I saw in the local pawn shop.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2008, 06:30:53 PM »
The Xbox was like a computer without Windows

It actually ran Windows, (a stripped down version of 2000, I believe) but there was no GUI or command line to access it from.

And ceti's defense of the XBOX is laughable, it basically equates to "It's alright now that it's a hackable emulation box". PS2 > XBOX. XBOX had better graphics, but PS2 had better games, a lesson that is now reciprocal, apparently.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2008, 06:56:30 PM »
Too bad we'll never see a Rallisport game on the 360.  Those were so awesome on the Xbox.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2008, 10:53:01 PM »
Quote from: ceti alpha
bah!!  =; Any game on the Xbox compared to it's cousin on the PS2 was obviously better.  :P

This is %100 true, and also %100 irrelevant to me since virtually any game that appeared on both systems was garbage with one or two exceptions that don't come to mind right now. The possible exception would be Outrun, but not that's not a factor either since further developed versions of Outrun appeared only on PS2, and PSP. I'm sure the EA sports games are better on XB, but this doesn't matter for two reasons. 1) sports are shit. 2) Sega sports games, only availible on DC, are less shit, or at least thats what people I know who actually play sports crap say. The ones who have actually played the Sega ones, anyway.

From your post I can see that you are one of those people that never owned a DC or even played it much, so that would explain your temporary insanity. Sega Sanshiro gave his life for the DC, but unfortunately that means he had to stop traveling the world, kicking people's asses and making them play Sega systems.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2008, 03:08:16 AM »
The Dreamcast was the bestest; the Xbox would be my second pick for its online abilities.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ceti alpha

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2008, 03:49:59 AM »
And ceti's defense of the XBOX is laughable, it basically equates to "It's alright now that it's a hackable emulation box". PS2 > XBOX. XBOX had better graphics, but PS2 had better games, a lesson that is now reciprocal, apparently.

That wasn't my defense. And I don't have to defend the Xbox. It's superior power defends itself.  :mrgreen: Seriously though, just because I happen to use the Xbox as a media center doesn't mean that's the only reason I got it. In fact, I got the Xbox before I really even knew of Xbmc. The Xbox might not have had a lot of games, but like the N64, it was quality over quantity. I also find the Playstation controllers unbearably awkward. I'd honestly rather just use the Avenue Pad 6 than the cramp inducing Playstation controllers - and that's not an insult to the Avenue Pad 6. I'm just saying it's a better controller. - It's too bad PS3 didn't stick with those "boomerang" style controllers because ANY change at this point would have been an improvement. The online abilities of the Xbox are another selling feature. Is it even worth playing online with the PS2? The only Playstation I remember having any fun on was the PS1 - Resident Evil, Tomb Raider. I wish I played more shmups on the PS1 back then, but whatever.

Xbox > PS2  I don't have a PS3 or a 360 at this point, but it's safe for me to say I would prefer the 360 for many of the same reasons as stated above. And yes, one of those reasons is the hacking potential.  :P

Too bad we'll never see a Rallisport game on the 360.  Those were so awesome on the Xbox.

That is sad.  :( Those games were awesome. Best Rally games I've ever played. I was looking forward to seeing them on the 360.

This is %100 true, and also %100 irrelevant to me since virtually any game that appeared on both systems was garbage with one or two exceptions that don't come to mind right now. The possible exception would be Outrun, but not that's not a factor either since further developed versions of Outrun appeared only on PS2, and PSP. I'm sure the EA sports games are better on XB, but this doesn't matter for two reasons. 1) sports are shit. 2) Sega sports games, only availible on DC, are less shit, or at least thats what people I know who actually play sports crap say. The ones who have actually played the Sega ones, anyway.

From your post I can see that you are one of those people that never owned a DC or even played it much, so that would explain your temporary insanity. Sega Sanshiro gave his life for the DC, but unfortunately that means he had to stop traveling the world, kicking people's asses and making them play Sega systems.

As I said, I've never really played the Dreamcast in any significance to be able to comment or vote for it. However, I'm sure it's sweet. Most people here love it, and I trust the common consensus on this here forum - the inexplicable love for the PS2 I'll chalk up as an anomaly. As for the "sports games are shit" comment, I would normally agree with you on that one, but during this time EA Sports NHL 2002 was played constantly among my friends. Hockey, and sometimes soccer, are the only sports games I really like - oh besides racing games of course.

All this talk of the Dreamcast and Playstation...I should really go to that pawn shop and pick these suckers up.  :-kThere's a Dreamcast and a PS1 there. I'd love to play the shmups on the PS1. Is there anything specific to watch out for when buying a Dreamcast or PS1?

« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 03:56:37 AM by ceti alpha »