Author Topic: What are you listening to right now!?  (Read 1601 times)

Kitsunexus

What are you listening to right now!?
« on: March 07, 2008, 08:16:39 AM »
Right now, I'm listening to "Are You Sensation" by Tigercity.

What are you listening to?

rag-time4

Re: What are you listening to right now!?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 08:22:47 AM »
I was about to start writing a history paper without having any music on... so thanks for reminding me to play something! My playlist has a mix of the Ys III soundtrack, a couple tunes from Image Fight (level 1, level 3) and the Blazing Lazers soundtrack, along with some romantic oldies and a few 80s tunes!

guyjin

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 08:27:03 AM »
I'm listening to some sportscaster prattle on in the background. I'm on a public terminal, so there's not much I can do about it.

the only march madness I care about is the one that starts on Sunday.  :dance:
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

rag-time4

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:28:23 AM »
I'm listening to some sportscaster prattle on in the background. I'm on a public terminal, so there's not much I can do about it.

the only march madness I care about is the one that starts on Sunday.  :dance:

Guyjin, does Dean's new sale start sunday?

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 08:44:24 AM »
The Teenagers - Reality Check: I got this because I f*cking *love* the remix these guys did of Chomeo's "Bonafide Lovin", but I've grown more weary of every song on this album in the last week than I have of that one 12" I bought months ago. The bitchy Parisian slut thing worked for a few hours though...

Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree: This is like the 2nd coming of Joan Baez with a bit of Sgt. Pepper thrown in. I love it, even though its not what I expected at all.

Mother 2 OST: I love this thing. Shove it in the face of anyone that says the SNES sound chip is gimmicky crap. In the right hands its the best sound chip ever.

guyjin

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 08:44:24 AM »
Get your head out of the old-school sand - Sunday is all about Smash Bros. Brawl.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Kitsunexus

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 08:47:09 AM »
I f*cking *love* the remix these guys did of Chomeo's "Bonafide Lovin"

Word.

In the right hands its the best sound chip ever.

f*ckING WORD.

Get your head out of the old-school sand - Sunday is all about Smash Bros. Brawl.

Meh....

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 08:50:07 AM »
Guns n Roses - Welcome to the Jungle (a.k.a. - whatever happens to be on radio).  In my car, it's Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime II.  :dance:

Mother 2 OST: I love this thing. Shove it in the face of anyone that says the SNES sound chip is gimmicky crap. In the right hands its the best sound chip ever.

I don't know about 'best sound chip ever', but damn awesome with the right talent.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Kitsunexus

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 08:55:49 AM »
I don't know about 'best sound chip ever',

It's just as capable as the Paula, it's just people never pushed it as much.

And as weird as this sounds, you need to play Plok to hear the absolute SAMPLE FIDELITY coming from the chip. I swear it's on Proteus 2000 levels.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 09:10:53 AM »
It's just as capable as the Paula, it's just people never pushed it as much.

No it isn't; the SPC700 could never handle I/O functions for floppies and joysticks.  :lol:

I agree that the Amiga and SNES sound chips were quite powerful for the time, but I can't say that they're better than everything else that has come out since.  Hell, I'd guess that Jerry could've sounded just as good as, or even better than, the SPC700, but it was never pushed (just like the rest of the console).

Kitsunexus

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 09:42:23 AM »
No it isn't; the SPC700 could never handle I/O functions for floppies and joysticks.  :lol:

Sound chip wise, I mean.

Hell, I'd guess that Jerry could've sounded just as good as, or even better than, the SPC700, but it was never pushed (just like the rest of the console).

Back when Songbird was releasing Protector:SE, they were looking for musicians to make some music for the levels. I didn't get any released of course, but the fact is, your submission HAD TO BE .MOD, 4 channels, no effects except for volume and tempo. Also take into account that the T2K cart rips and the Wolfenstein cart rip and other rips, it's all .MOD format. So Jerry is basically like Paula except it was designed from the get-go for MOD files. You're right in the fact that no one was able to develop better formats for Jag like they were for Amiga, but had they? They would have been EQUALS.

Jaguar = pwn. Except for the amazingly retarded intro screen (which BTW uses that Fairlight orchestra hit sample that was either on the ST-01 or ST-02 disk...actually, I think it was ST-09?)

Also, the PS1 has the bigger brother to the SPC700, right? That's what someone told me before, but I don't know what to believe, I always thought sample playback was handled by the CPU as software.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 09:46:01 AM by Kitsunexus »

gekioh

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 09:45:08 AM »
Right now im listening to ASS CHAPEL:Fire and Destruction LP and, Nausea:Punk Terrorist Anthology Vol.1, and 3 Inches Of Blood(everything) and the collective Castlevania Series soundtrack.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 10:11:12 AM »
So Jerry is basically like Paula except it was designed from the get-go for MOD files. You're right in the fact that no one was able to develop better formats for Jag like they were for Amiga, but had they? They would have been EQUALS.

I know that the Amiga can do better than 8 bit and 4 channels, but via software and not as a capability of the chip.  Doesn't the Jag chip natively support 16 bit and 24 channels, making the Jag>Amiga?  Sounds like blasphemy, considering that Jag ports sound worse than the same game on the SNES.

Also, the PS1 has the bigger brother to the SPC700, right? That's what someone told me before, but I don't know what to believe, I always thought sample playback was handled by the CPU as software.

I don't have a clue what was in a PS1.

nat

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 10:54:14 AM »
Guns n Roses - Welcome to the Jungle (a.k.a. - whatever happens to be on radio).  In my car, it's Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime II.  :dance:

Nice, what do you think of that one? I like the original better but part II is damn good, I think better than most people give it credit. I bought it the day it came out.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 12:33:49 PM »
Nice, what do you think of that one? I like the original better but part II is damn good, I think better than most people give it credit. I bought it the day it came out.

Hey, I totally forgot about that. I was somewhat excited for it too. Thanks for reminding me.