Author Topic: The Mighty Wind knocked out electricity across NJ....  (Read 289 times)

esteban

The Mighty Wind knocked out electricity across NJ....
« on: March 11, 2008, 01:24:14 PM »
So, this past Saturday, I was one of the lucky 27,000 people in NJ to lose power when some rain and wind knocked down trees (and powerlines) across the state.

Here's the best part: nearly all of my neighbors had their power. Only a handful didn't. On Saturday and Sunday (and Monday!) the neighbors mocked us by keeping their porch lights on, opening and closing their garages needlessly, falling asleep but keeping the television on, making toast, showering with hot water, etc.

Those friggin' bastards!
  |    | 

nodtveidt

Re: The Mighty Wind knocked out electricity across NJ....
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 02:18:48 PM »
That's the Jersey Jerks for ya. They earned their names well.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 03:45:39 PM »
Isn't 27,000 people in NJ like...1 block?

I guess I'm used to this shit in Michigan where if its not wind its ice. Virtually everyone has a natural gas hookup though so hot water is pretty much the only thing that stays on. The internet sure as f*ck doesn't.

Keranu

Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
Isn't 27,000 people in NJ like...1 block?

I guess I'm used to this shit in Michigan where if its not wind its ice. Virtually everyone has a natural gas hookup though so hot water is pretty much the only thing that stays on. The internet sure as f*ck doesn't.
Hahhahahahaha. Yeah, NJ is one of the most densely populated states, and its really northern Jersey (where I live) that is super-dense.

Try having your power go out around 30 times a year :P .
Dear lord! That's friggin' insane. I remember you mentioning something about the state of the wiring in your house as well. I live in an old house (made prior to 1900), but, thankfully, most of the electrical lines were completely upgraded.

Our house has nothing on our neighbor's house, though. late 1700's to early 1800's, if you can believe that. Really low ceilings.
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 04:46:39 PM »
Try having your power go out around 30 times a year :P .
Dear lord! That's friggin' insane. I remember you mentioning something about the state of the wiring in your house as well. I live in an old house (made prior to 1900), but, thankfully, most of the electrical lines were completely upgraded.

Our house has nothing on our neighbor's house, though. late 1700's to early 1800's, if you can believe that. Really low ceilings.

Yeah I live in a old Chicago subburb that really needs to update it's wiring. The worst was during a hot summer day when the power was out for like 19 hours. My the main part of my house was from the late 1800's, but newer additions have been added over time.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Dark Fact

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 06:34:45 AM »
I had a situation like this back in '95 except it wasn't due to weather problems, it was just the hydro company not making up their f*cking minds on whether to keep the power on or off.

I was playing a rented copy of Final Fantasy II (Final Fantasy IV for you purists) on my SNES and when the title screen came on, the power went out.  It stayed out for 10 minutes.  When it came back on, I rushed back to play the game.  When the title screen came on, the power in the house went off for 5 minutes.  It came back on again...and then went out for 1 minute.  At that point, I was just about ready to phone up the power company and give them hell.  Fortunately, there weren't any more power outages for the rest of the day.  Looking at it in retrospect now, it was pretty funny. :lol:

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!