Author Topic: Pleasant surprises  (Read 441 times)

runinruder

Pleasant surprises
« on: March 16, 2008, 04:59:24 AM »
Let's talk about those wonderful instances when a PCE/Turbo game exceeded your expectations for it.  Here are some titles that stunned me with their awesomeness.  Maybe the most shocking thing is how many I was able to think of; the PCE's library is just full of surprises. 

Altered Beast (HuCard) - Unimpressive screenshots and reports of poor/frustrating gameplay, along with my indifference towards Altered Beast in the first place, made me think this one would be a flop.  When I finally played it and discovered its gorgeous colors, smooth audio, and challenging/rewarding gameplay, I started singing a different tune.   

Macross Eternal Love Song - Don't like strategy games, even the "legendary" Langrisser, and all signs pointed towards this one being a lot like Langrisser.  But its killer music, well-designed boards, sweet story, and Macross theme really got me hooked. 

Jimmu Denshou - Everyone hates it, but I found myself in a zone as I figured out how to get through its tricky, hazard-laden levels and finish off its awesome bosses. 

Art of Fighting - Always looked generic to me, and I didn't have much fun with Fatal Fury 2.  But it ended up being surprisingly playable, and I got a kick out of its goofy story elements. 

Tenshi no Uta - It wasn't that I had any misgivings going in.  But I didn't expect it to climb into my top ten PCE games of all time.  The sequel rules, too.

Final Lap Twin - I wrote it off because game-mag reviews called it mediocre, but found out soon thereafter that not only was it quite playable, but also that its RPG mode was actually remarkably cool and enjoyable.

Chase HQ - Always seemed like it would be a clunker, but I kept playing it over and over again once I picked it up.

Moto Roader - Wasn't excited for car combat after the farce that was Dekoboko, but this one was a different story thanks to its fast and pleasantly simple action. 

Sotsugyou Shashin
- A really cheap throw-in revealed itself to be an endearing little nerd love story with nice music.  No one would like it but me. 

Rainbow Islands
- I thought Parasol Stars was only okay, and people always yap about how it's so much better than this.  But I found RI to be much more addictive and exciting. 

Legion - Kills people off immediately, so of course they hate it.  After I figured out a plan to get through the tough early going and powered up a bit, I actually found it to be a strong shooter.

Cyber Core - Didn't look great in screens and was constantly compared to cruddy Dragon Spirit, but ended up being one of the busiest little Turbo shooters.

Brandish - Thought it might be cool, but didn't expect it to be so good that I grieved when it was over.  Great music and puzzles. 

Cyber Knight - I didn't even know this one was an RPG when I bought it, much less a fun one.

Salamander - Wasn't excited about this because Gradius II let me down, but ended up blown away by its ultra-smooth gameplay and rocking music. 

Energy - Very shoddy, but I can't deny that I enjoyed figuring out how to beat it, and some of the music was really nice. 

Takeda Shingen - Looked horribly antiquated and like something that would be really clunky in screens, but it actually has some appealing visual moments along with nice music and a powering-up method that turns it from rough to enjoyable in no time. 

China Warrior - Avoided it for years, but ultimately found it to have a certain pick-up-and-play appeal.

Kagami no Kuni no Legend - Ignore the teen idol stuff and you've got a fun, well-paced digital comic.

Efera & Jiliora - Looked okay beforehand, but I found myself captivated by its dark theme and great soundtrack.

Cobra II - Even wackier and more enjoyable than I'd hoped it would be.

Batman - Always thought it had potential, but negative reports tempered my enthusiasm.  Really cool game that lived up to my original hopes.
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

MurderDate

Re: Pleasant surprises
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 05:02:39 AM »
thank you for this !

Art of Fighting -  I have the Neo Geo cart in my posession and I'm quite interested in it now that you've brought it up.  Nat loves it as well.   I don't know how this and the PCE game compare.  Interesting though.

Final Lap Twin -  gave this a couple hours yesterday -  quite fun!   My car eventually got cursed and I put the game down for awhile but I think I'm going to back to it right now!   Awesome game.

thanks again
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

esteban

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 06:56:31 AM »

Cyber Core - Didn't look great in screens and was constantly compared to cruddy Dragon Spirit, but ended up being one of the busiest little Turbo shooters.

Salamander - Wasn't excited about this because Gradius II let me down, but ended up blown away by its ultra-smooth gameplay and rocking music. 

China Warrior - Avoided it for years, but ultimately found it to have a certain pick-up-and-play appeal.

Efera & Jiliora - Looked okay beforehand, but I found myself captivated by its dark theme and great soundtrack.

Batman - Always thought it had potential, but negative reports tempered my enthusiasm.  Really cool game that lived up to my original hopes.

Ditto, Dittoed on a bunch of these: Batman was a revelation for me when folks here and at magicengine were raving about it. First I fell in love with the music, though (listening to mp3's)... only later did I start to actually play it (unfortunately, only through emulation, I still don't own this bad boy).

Guts and Nemo got me into Efera & Jiliora -- It always looked intriguing, but I read something by them (it may very well have been negative) and I decided to take the plunge. I really loved the aesthetics, mood, and I did not find the game mechanics to be too bothersome.

Salamander: Well, I'm a Gradius fan, but I found myself going back to replay Salamander every chance I got. I can see why it appeals to you: it really improves on the deficits you find in Gradius (sluggish ship, power-up system, pacing, etc.).

CyberCore, which I bought from Electronics Boutique back in the day because they reduced the price to $30, was somewhat of an impulse buy. I loved shooters, but I was really worried that this would be another Deep Blue. No, I had not read any reviews. I was going in blind.

China Warrior, of course, I appreciated since the TG-16 launch. I'm glad you have found that it has "a certain pick-up-and-play appeal" -- I've likened it to a "rhythm game" where you achieve a Zen-like state of twitch-response to the things thrown at you and you just keep smacking everything out of your way. Sure, some folks can memorize the stages (and it is important to remember particularly tricky sequences), but overall, I don't rely on memorization. Just good old twitch-reflexes can get you through a lot of it. I love that. But you have to achieve that Zen-like state, otherwise you might feel like you are constantly trying to "catch up" to the pace of the game.

------------------
Pleasant Surprises
------------------

Gomola Speed - Initially, this game looks (and feels) like it won't cut it. But, very quickly, you realize how friggin' sweet, how addictive, and just how grand this game is. The only downer: I've come close to getting blisters on my left thumb from the direction pad (those moments when I'm desperately trying to survive!). I always include this game in the "Underappreciated" threads.

Timeball / Blodia - I avoided this back in the day. Yes, I did. I didn't want to pay good money for this game. When it was reduced to $20, I picked it up along with TRICKY KICK! Timeball has a lot to be desired (the visuals should have been more polished, I like the songs, but they should have included more tracks, etc.) -- but only in the superficial sense. The meat of the game (the game mechanics, the puzzles, the challenge ramping up) are great. I think most people aren't even aware of the "turbo" button that speeds up the ball.

Tricky Kick - This game is really, really addictive (in a weird way). I guess I like puzzle-action games, in general, and this game, despite all the problems (the sprites are friggin' microscopic, try playing this on a TurboExpress!) ....well, despite everything, I kept coming back and trying to get to the next level / stage.  I found myself saying, "Why do I want to TrickyKick again?" Then I'd respond, "By all rights, I should be sick of this game, but I want to try to beat the stage just one more time."

I'm too lazy to write more stuff...

|    | 

Kostantiniyya

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 07:37:49 AM »
Good grief, Ruder, you're crazy for digging Jimmu Denshou.  But I think we had already established this.

I really enjoyed Basted even though it's atypical in a lot of ways (ways that people seem to get turned off by).  Also, great FAQ for it.

runinruder

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »
Tricky Kick - This game is really, really addictive (in a weird way). I guess I like puzzle-action games, in general, and this game, despite all the problems (the sprites are friggin' microscopic, try playing this on a TurboExpress!) ....well, despite everything, I kept coming back and trying to get to the next level / stage.  I found myself saying, "Why do I want to TrickyKick again?" Then I'd respond, "By all rights, I should be sick of this game, but I want to try to beat the stage just one more time."

Count me as a fellow Tricky Kick fan.  I didn't include it on my surprises list because, for some strange reason, I actually really wanted it and expected it to be fun back in the day.  Good and very tough stuff.  I love the story bits. 

I really enjoyed Basted even though it's atypical in a lot of ways (ways that people seem to get turned off by).  Also, great FAQ for it.

Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed that game.  I really like the story and characters in Basted.  It's a shame that most people either don't bother with it or put in just a few moments with it, and never get to see just how incredible its cinemas get. 

esteban

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 08:28:16 AM »

Count me as a fellow Tricky Kick fan.  I didn't include it on my surprises list because, for some strange reason, I actually really wanted it and expected it to be fun back in the day.  Good and very tough stuff.  I love the story bits. 
Yeah, all those different scenarios! Very kool. High-tech robots, primordial man... they really did a nice job mixing all that stuff together.

Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed that game.  I really like the story and characters in Basted.  It's a shame that most people either don't bother with it or put in just a few moments with it, and never get to see just how incredible its cinemas get. 
Well, this might just be one of those games that I will be pleasantly surprised by. I read GUTS' classic review and his verdict has stuck with me all these years. I don't own the game, though I was tempted to buy it a bunch of times.... only to think of GUTS' review and pass on it.

|    | 

Sinistron

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 08:42:25 AM »
Lady Sword- didn't figure a games express game could be so playable- but this one really is- destroys double dungeons in my opinion- even if it's only one player.

Pop n' Magic- I wanted this so bad that I felt I was bound to be disappointed.  I wasn't- exceeded my expectations and is actually one of the best games I own.  I already reviewed this so no need to get more into it now.

Puyo Puyo- when I first bought this I just thought I was getting a decent falling brick for dirt cheap.  It's much much better than that.  A must have- as most people on this forum know.

Spin Pair- Wasn't too excited to pick this one up- and after first trying I wasn't impressed.  However- after figuring out how to play correctly- the story mode is shitloads of fun.

Pretty much all my other games that are good/great I expected to be- though there are quite a few that I figured would be good/great and actually flat out suck.

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
Quote from: Tatsujin
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

nat

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 11:03:07 AM »
CyberCore and Altered Beast - See runin's comments for my own feelings.

Yo Bro - Someone I knew had this BITD and I played it once or twice. I didn't have fond memories. I recently acquired it for the first time this year and it's not nearly as horrible as I remember. It's a classic late '80s/early '90s cheesefest and the simplistic gameplay is kind of addicting.

Gunboat - This game seems to be panned more than Deep Blue, so I was surprised when I got it and found out it's kind of fun. The biggest downfall here are the sound effects (screams, etc) which can be grating. The gameplay itself is smooth enough, offers a bit of variety, and the missions are cool. The real-time polygons that make up the landscape are a novelty to top it all off.

Darkwing Duck - This poor Disney effort takes shrapnel right and left. The biggest problem here is that the controls are what I would describe as a little "floaty." Once you master them, however, things fit together nicely and the game becomes incredibly playable. All in all, I had a good time playing through DWD, which was an experience I wasn't prepared for. The best way to describe this game is as a "diamond in the rough." With a little more spit-polish I think DWD could've appealed to a broader spectrum of folks. The general gaming populace however will find the controls initially tough to get accustomed to and write the game off as a dud.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 06:41:38 AM by nat »

esteban

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 11:05:51 AM »
Yo Bro - Someone I knew had this BITD and I played it once or twice. I didn't have fond memories. I recently acquired it for the first time this year and it's not nearly as horrible as I remember. It's a classic late '80s/early '90s cheesefest and the simplistic gameplay is kind of addicting.
A poor-man's The Zombies Ate My Neighbors, though I haven't played this game in a bazillion years.
  |    | 

nat

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 11:07:56 AM »
Yeah, you're the one that made that comparison! I was trying to remember who said that... It's a great comparison indeed. Definitely in the same league as Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

Turbo D

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 11:10:20 AM »
I'm glad to finally see some love for altered beast and jimmu denshu yaksa on here  :)

runinruder

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 11:38:28 AM »

Interesting.  I'd never really looked into this game because it seemed to be something that everyone panned and made fun of. 

A poor-man's The Zombies Ate My Neighbors, though I haven't played this game in a bazillion years.

This comment worries me.  I didn't like ZAMN. 

Joe Redifer

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 12:41:12 PM »
I would like Final Lap Twin 50 times more if it had a game save feature.  Passwords are for anus lickers.

spenoza

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 04:38:56 PM »
Art of Fighting wasn't a surprise for me, at least, not surprising that I liked it. I enjoyed it on the Neo Geo and found it to be underrated. The PCE ACD port is incredible and almost as much fun as the original.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c

nat

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 05:09:53 PM »
It's a great game, on either platform. The PCE/Turbo port is just phenomenal given the hardware, especially since they even ported over the resolution switches.

Interesting.  I'd never really looked into this game because it seemed to be something that everyone panned and made fun of. 

This comment worries me.  I didn't like ZAMN. 

I could see you going either way with it. You can't go in expecting a deep storyline with diverse and dynamic gameplay. You're not gonna get it. The game isn't bad for what it is-- a fun little action game that throws you in a ridiculous situation. If you view it as such, it's really not all that bad.

The controls take some getting used to, but once you do, you realize that they're tight. The PSG renditions of Beach Boy tunes are good, and I actually prefer them over the real songs considering I can only handle so much of the Beach Boys.

My biggest problem with the game is that it overstays it's welcome in that there are waaay too many levels with not enough variation. They could've trimmed a bit of the fat off and tightened it up a bit. On the plus side, the game saves your progress so you don't have to try and forge through all 856 levels in one sitting.