Author Topic: Big disappointments  (Read 1106 times)

nodtveidt

Re: Big disappointments
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2008, 07:53:30 AM »
Splash Lake feels a little homebrewish...maybe that's what threw you off. Something about the game just doesn't feel right.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2008, 08:29:12 AM »
Splash Lake feels a little homebrewish...maybe that's what threw you off. Something about the game just doesn't feel right.

[pokebearwithstick]

How can you say 'homebrewish'?  At least Splash Lake was actually completed and released.  :twisted:

[/pokebearwithstick]
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nodtveidt

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 08:37:52 AM »
It was also developed by people who were paid to work on video games full time as their career. :P

Sinistron

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2008, 08:54:35 AM »
ewwwww! point/counterpoint!

I do see what Rove's saying here though- though I do for one love splash lake and it is a great game to play with the missus-  there is something off about it- almost feels like a demo or a game that should've been included on one of those ultrabox sets.  For a CD title there's not much to it.  Still- however- quite enjoyable.

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
Quote from: Tatsujin
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

rag-time4

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2008, 09:07:26 AM »

I forgot that stinky piece of cheese, likely due to a sub-consciously intentional memory block.  Since I didn't pick it up until after SFII was out, I was expecting it to suck in comparison but to still offer a decent experience.  Unfortunately, I was sorely disappointed by it's unresponsive controls and horrible voices (especially the latter, considering it's a CD title); why the geniuses would've selected this travesty for the first U.S. CD title is beyond me.

Hey I love the voices! They were ported right from the arcade! I absolutely loved them when I first played it and that has carried over.

I think back in those days Street Fighter was a pretty big deal... it really blew away games like Karate Champ and Yie Ar Kung Fu in terms of its graphics... and for me it was the perfect first CD title because I wanted a Turbo CD since the first time I saw that Street Fighter was on the system (not released for another console until Capcom Classics vol 2 for XBOX and PS2)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2008, 10:14:59 AM »
It was also developed by people who were paid to work on video games full time as their career. :P

I completely understand what you're saying, though for me it feels just as complete as most any other puzzley type game.  The previously posted comment should only be taken as a light hearted jab at all homebrew projects that languish in a perpetual state of 'almost done' and wasn't aimed at any particular person or project1.

Hey I love the voices! They were ported right from the arcade! I absolutely loved them when I first played it and that has carried over.

To each their own, but I think that 'arcade perfect' is a cop out for the voices.  The CD didn't suffer from the same limitations as the arcade board, so there's no excuse for it to sound like everyone is fresh from the dentist with a mouth full of cotton gauze and an ampule of Novocaine.  Had they released it on a HuCard, on the other hand, the voices wouldn't have been much of a disappointment at all.

I think back in those days Street Fighter was a pretty big deal... it really blew away games like Karate Champ and Yie Ar Kung Fu in terms of its graphics... and for me it was the perfect first CD title because I wanted a Turbo CD since the first time I saw that Street Fighter was on the system (not released for another console until Capcom Classics vol 2 for XBOX and PS2)

In theory, Fighting Street would've been a nice launch title had it been equal to the arcade (or even better in some areas).  In practice, the poor controls and laughable voices surely made more than a few people wonder why they'd waste $400 on a CD add-on that didn't seem to add-on much of anything in terms of game play.  In short, it wasn't the game that was a poor choice, but rather the selection of a shitty port of a good game.

1 - I anyone is offended, then the comment was directed squarely at their stupid ass and they can blow me.  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

rag-time4

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2008, 10:37:07 AM »

To each their own, but I think that 'arcade perfect' is a cop out for the voices.  The CD didn't suffer from the same limitations as the arcade board, so there's no excuse for it to sound like everyone is fresh from the dentist with a mouth full of cotton gauze and an ampule of Novocaine.  Had they released it on a HuCard, on the other hand, the voices wouldn't have been much of a disappointment at all.

In theory, Fighting Street would've been a nice launch title had it been equal to the arcade (or even better in some areas).  In practice, the poor controls and laughable voices surely made more than a few people wonder why they'd waste $400 on a CD add-on that didn't seem to add-on much of anything in terms of game play.  In short, it wasn't the game that was a poor choice, but rather the selection of a shitty port of a good game.

I have read some reviews on gamefaqs for the original street fighter arcade game, and lots of them say that the voices sound like the speaker has a mouthful of cotton....

I don't buy that... I think the person doing the voices just had a heavy accent. I always thought it gave the game a more exotic feel and I always enjoyed them, and still do Kiddo! Muahahahaha!

The control is really awkward though.. I don't like it at all. It seemed to make sense, since Street Fighter was originally a 2 button game, but the button timing is totally different. I bet that the button timing in Fighting Street is consistent  but it's so different than the arcade, from what I remember, that I've never taken the time to master it.

esteban

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2008, 12:19:31 PM »

I have read some reviews on gamefaqs for the original street fighter arcade game, and lots of them say that the voices sound like the speaker has a mouthful of cotton....

I don't buy that... I think the person doing the voices just had a heavy accent. I always thought it gave the game a more exotic feel and I always enjoyed them, and still do Kiddo! Muahahahaha!

The control is really awkward though.. I don't like it at all. It seemed to make sense, since Street Fighter was originally a 2 button game, but the button timing is totally different. I bet that the button timing in Fighting Street is consistent  but it's so different than the arcade, from what I remember, that I've never taken the time to master it.
Aha! This is something that you folks might find interesting:
Michael! from DuoWorld #1 (July / August 1993).

:)
  |    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2008, 12:33:59 PM »

I disagree. An arcade board has random high speed access to every piece of the program. Something running on a CDROM2 has to fit everything on screen into a pathetically small amount of RAM.

I'm not sticking up for Fighting Street (it isn't very good, arcade, PCE, whatever) but your complaint seems a bit off to me. Are there even any other CDROM2 (not Super) one-on-one fighters to compare Fighting Street to? It would be unacceptable if, say, the music was bad, but I think that maybe Capcom's crappy PCE port of Fighting Street was crappy for the same reasons their crappy port of Marvel Super Heroes versus Street Fighter on Playstation was crappy; no damn memory.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2008, 01:11:05 PM »
I was disappointed in Splash Lake as well.  I got it for super-cheap brand new from Toys R Us when they were clearing out their Turbo stuff.  I was hoping it would at least have some good music.  It didn't.

nodtveidt

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2008, 01:59:23 PM »
Maybe that's it...the music. The music by itself is great, but it just doesn't really seem to fit the game very well. The soundtrack was done by the same folks who did Lords Of Thunder and Riot Zone.

MurderDate

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2008, 03:01:05 PM »
Maybe that's it...the music. The music by itself is great, but it just doesn't really seem to fit the game very well. The soundtrack was done by the same folks who did Lords Of Thunder and Riot Zone.

damn dude, you know your stuff!   I am amazed the same people are behind the music for all three games!   I absolutely hated the music on Splash Lake, personally.  It does fit the ducks a little and I didn't mind it at first but it got irritating by the end of the day.

Not absolutely the worst game ever but flawed. I would take Tailspin, JJ & Jeff, Darkwing Duck etc over this one.  Maybe not Fighting Street..  :D
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

OldTurboBastard

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2008, 03:57:03 PM »
Keith Courage - When I bought my TG-16 i could'nt afford another game so this was my first impression of the 200 bucks I just spent..  It was way below expectations (although I would never admit it back then). Sure the under world looked good but the shameless repetition was a let down.

Once I saved up and got R-Type all was well again.....
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2008, 04:09:19 PM »
Super Air Zonk- The only game I was totally let down with.......

rag-time4

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2008, 05:09:34 PM »
Aha! This is something that you folks might find interesting:
Michael! from DuoWorld #1 (July / August 1993).

:)

Very interesting indeed! Do i get points for saying the same thing the knowledgeable editor said (japanese pronunciation = asian accent)

Although, I disagree with the inflammatory epithets used by the editor! The voices are hardly "garbled" ... and the post fight commentary is anything but "nonsensical" and "rambling"....

Such slander is pure hogwash!!!

I'll have to admit that the editor's response to the batman / operatin wolf letter made me giggle! The reader asked whether Batman and Operation Wolf would be released in the USA, the editor responded with a list of other popular lisences that would not be released in the USA, including Operation Wolf....  :roll:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 05:12:25 PM by rag-time4 »