Author Topic: Big disappointments  (Read 1103 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: Big disappointments
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2008, 05:15:16 PM »
Operation Wolf was huge in arcades back then.

TR0N

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2008, 05:15:42 PM »
Keith Courage - When I bought my TG-16 i could'nt afford another game so this was my first impression of the 200 bucks I just spent..  It was way below expectations (although I would never admit it back then). Sure the under world looked good but the shameless repetition was a let down.

Once I saved up and got R-Type all was well again.....

Hmm here i thought i was the only one that was disappointed in keith courages.

To,this day i still think the mech parts were the only good parts of the game.

I don't hate it but it could have been more.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2008, 06:44:49 PM »
I disagree. An arcade board has random high speed access to every piece of the program. Something running on a CDROM2 has to fit everything on screen into a pathetically small amount of RAM.

I'm not sticking up for Fighting Street (it isn't very good, arcade, PCE, whatever) but your complaint seems a bit off to me. Are there even any other CDROM2 (not Super) one-on-one fighters to compare Fighting Street to? It would be unacceptable if, say, the music was bad, but I think that maybe Capcom's crappy PCE port of Fighting Street was crappy for the same reasons their crappy port of Marvel Super Heroes versus Street Fighter on Playstation was crappy; no damn memory.

I assumed that the crappy sounding voices were due to the arcade hardware, but I have no idea what the board could've managed in more capable hands (though ample ram doesn't help if the sound chip sucks hard).  I'll happily concede the point anyway, since it doesn't change the fact that the Turbo version could've had better voices.  There's many CD-ROM2 titles with clearly voiced cut scenes, and nearly all of Fighting Street's voices are found between rounds, so I don't see why it'd be important to compare it specifically to other CD-ROM2 fighting games.  The static cut scenes in Fighting Street are surely not memory pigs, and if I'm not mistaken, the voices use ADPCM which is separate from the system memory anyway.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

rag-time4

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2008, 08:37:45 AM »
Operation Wolf was huge in arcades back then.

Ahhh poor reading comprehension on my part. At first it seemed awkwardly written, given that the letter writer discussed Batman and Operation Wolf... then the editor said that Operation Wolf would not be released here, then in a list of famous licenses mentioned Operation Wolf a second time.

But you seemed to have picked up right away on the fact that the list of licenses was all arcade games.

I saw Operation Wolf on the list and not Batman so it seemed like an error at first but Batman wasn't an arcade game. As a writer I would have put Operation Wolf at the end of the list as it was already previously mentioned... but that's just my style i guess LOL  :-" ](*,)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 08:40:40 AM by rag-time4 »