Author Topic: Dragon Spirit VS. Dragon Saber  (Read 813 times)

Sparky

Dragon Spirit VS. Dragon Saber
« on: March 20, 2008, 03:19:53 PM »
I will be picking my copy up of Dragon Saber in the next week so just wondering which do you prefer… Dragon Spirit or Dragon Saber?

ahh…Dragon Spirit was the fist game i played that really got my juices flowing for the Tg16!!!… & i really started collecting and gaming more after that. I liked the music, the gameplay, also i dig dragons :roll: (f*ck im all liquored up right now :P )

Just wondering if there are any Dragon Spirit fans out there or Dragon Saber fans, & which do you prefer?
Good or bad tell me, tell me…

need a refill!!!!!!!

EDIT: Drunk enough to put it in the wrong spot… :roll: sorry mods!!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 03:27:45 PM by Sparky »

runinruder

Re: Dragon Spirit VS. Dragon Saber
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 03:24:16 PM »
Dragon Saber, easily. 
www.thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Turbo D

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 03:28:24 PM »
I voted Dragon Spirit since I haven't played the other one, lol. I guess that is not fair though.

nat

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 03:48:51 PM »
Dragon Saber is much, much better.

Sparky

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 04:10:40 PM »
Well thats good news, and makes me even more glad im getting the game and im sure i will be shacking my head why i even posted this when i get it. these newbies :P

Keranu

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 04:52:22 PM »
I prefer Dragon Saber, though I could see how someone might prefer Spirit since Saber changes some things (and has a better soundtrack). Saber was just a lot more fun for me to play, especially on two player mode.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 05:59:35 PM »
I had picked Dragon Spirit. I have yet to play both of them, but I've observed both of them well enough to maintain a preference, mainly from their soundtracks. For , it had left a deal of great impression on me when I had first heard it. I felt that it sounded like music between the NES and the Sega Genesis (this being my first exposure to the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16) and that being of superbly done music with the type of sounds used for it. , however, isn't within the same greatness to me. I felt that it was very much dull and minotinous, with the notes within the tracks having feelings of badness and wrong places. It still is within the same style of Dragon Spirit's music, nonetheless.

Some may perfer the gameplay of Dragon Saber more since it features co-op play. It is recommended for fans of Dragon Spirit (particularly from Sunteam_Paul). Both games have the same graphical style and possibly controls.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

Keranu

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 07:33:03 PM »
Nice way of putting the music, Kirby.

However the two games do control different. In Dragon Saber, the dragon will automatically charge it's shot when no button is pressed. It's a little weird, but I kinda like it more that way. I'd also have to disagree with Paul and say that many people who didn't enjoy Dragon Spirit actually enjoyed Dragon Saber instead.
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Tatsujin

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 07:38:16 PM »
Dragon Saber is much, much better.

dito!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Sinistron

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 07:53:00 PM »
I actually own both and prefer Spirit more.  Saber to me was a bit of a let-down- not sure exactly what I was expecting but a let-down nonetheless.  I was hoping for a graphic/animation/sound upgrade- especially with double the meg- and I feel it fell way short.  Two-player also isn't as fun as I expected.  Call me crazy.  Just maybe I am!  :mrgreen:

Both of these games look much better however with the screen compressed from the arcade screen cheats.  Soldier Blade's arcade screen mode however looks five times better than that and to me is the peak of hucard shooter graphics- no I shouldn't be comparing the Dragon Spirit games to Soldier Blade but hey it just happens.  My love for Soldier Blade blurs everything!  :mrgreen:

Aside from all this I feel that Dragon Spirit catches more of a defined mood than its sequel.  Just feels righter.

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
Quote from: Tatsujin
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 09:22:23 PM »
Saber all the way, for me, it's got better graphics & music, & gameplay.  Plus Saber seems easier, which means I might be able to beat it!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 04:00:39 AM »
Dragon Saber looks better, but Dragon Spirit has better tunes, and yet they both suffer from over sized hit boxes.  It's hard to pick a winner, but in the end I went with Dragon Spirit simply because it was released in the US and sports some lovely colored pencil artwork (which is far better than the lame, piss-yellow topped manual for Dragon Saber).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 07:12:09 PM »
(which is far better than the lame, piss-yellow topped manual for Dragon Saber).
Hahaha! I kinda know what you mean.

ceti alpha

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 05:02:43 AM »
I'm just curious about the arcade screen cheats. That's awesome. I wish all shmups had this option.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nat

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 05:50:49 AM »
Many do-- you probably just don't about them. Not all, however.

For the DS games you just have to reset the game like 50 times and on the 50th time it will reset in a hi-res vertical arcade resolution.