Author Topic: Happy Easter!  (Read 1092 times)

ceti alpha

Re: Happy Easter!
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2008, 08:36:43 AM »
I created the first one to see if I would be killed by angry Muslims.  They wouldn't broadcast an image of Muhammad (Mohammad?) on Comedy Central in an episode of Southpark because the network feared terrorist attacks as a result since the dude is not supposed to EVER be depicted in visual form OR ELSE.  Somehow this rule applies to non-Muslims as well.  But you can draw Jesus all you want in any form and no one bats an eye.

Well the crucifix/Jesus thing was stolen from Paganism anyways -- apparantly, and it wouldn't be surprising.I still have to watch the documentary on that. It might be on tonight actually.  :-k But anyway, I've never understood the whole responding in violence to any depiction of Mohammad thing.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nodtveidt

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 09:00:42 AM »
Well the crucifix/Jesus thing was stolen from Paganism anyways -- apparantly, and it wouldn't be surprising.I still have to watch the documentary on that. It might be on tonight actually.  :-k
It's based on stories of Horus, which is of Egyptian lore. Crucifixions were very popular in Egypt at the time. In fact, most of the stories about Jesus are based on Horus and Egypt.

But anyway, I've never understood the whole responding in violence to any depiction of Mohammad thing.
That's a perversion of the religion. Nowhere in their religious texts does it say ANYTHING about murdering over depictions of Mohammed...in fact, there's no mention of any kind of violence for it. Islam is a religion of peace...but, just like Christianity (which is supposed to also be a religion of peace), humanity has perverted it over the centuries to suit their own agendas.

ceti alpha

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2008, 12:58:45 PM »
Well the crucifix/Jesus thing was stolen from Paganism anyways -- apparantly, and it wouldn't be surprising.I still have to watch the documentary on that. It might be on tonight actually.  :-k
It's based on stories of Horus, which is of Egyptian lore. Crucifixions were very popular in Egypt at the time. In fact, most of the stories about Jesus are based on Horus and Egypt.

But anyway, I've never understood the whole responding in violence to any depiction of Mohammad thing.
That's a perversion of the religion. Nowhere in their religious texts does it say ANYTHING about murdering over depictions of Mohammed...in fact, there's no mention of any kind of violence for it. Islam is a religion of peace...but, just like Christianity (which is supposed to also be a religion of peace), humanity has perverted it over the centuries to suit their own agendas.

Cool. Thanks for the info. :)

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Joe Redifer

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 01:01:44 PM »
There was some guy who drew some comic with Mohammed in it and some of the hard-core Muslims went apeshit.  Also, Osama has recently said something to the effect that he will punish Western society for that heinous act of depicting him in a comic.  I don't recall his exact words.  I've never even seen the comic.  Perhaps they were pissed off because it wasn't even as funny as Marmaduke?

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2008, 04:26:18 PM »
Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby

If he just found the image, wouldn't he just copy the shortcut or the properties directly on the reply to a topic (if he desired it, of course :wink:)?

No.  Perhaps you haven't been on the internet very long, but many sites these days have anti-linking in place.  So you post a pic and instead all people see is some lame graphics saying that the user is stealing images or the company's logo or some other such nonsense.  Also, other sites tend to change or go away.  This way I can be sure that the image stays up for as long as I want it to and I am not at the mercy of the originating site.  99 times out of 100 I host the images myself.  Speaking of which, here's something I've had for awhile, got it at another forum.

I see. That makes perfect sense. It's unfortunate to see websites shut down after a long while, especially if it was a high-quality and well-loved one. I haven't come across too many sites that prohibit anti-hot linking, however; I can only count a few. I have been fully using the Internet since circa September 2003, so I have been around long enough to see these types of events :P.

I created the first one to see if I would be killed by angry Muslims.  They wouldn't broadcast an image of Muhammad (Mohammad?) on Comedy Central in an episode of Southpark because the network feared terrorist attacks as a result since the dude is not supposed to EVER be depicted in visual form OR ELSE.  Somehow this rule applies to non-Muslims as well.  But you can draw Jesus all you want in any form and no one bats an eye.  The other two I did not create. 

Offended?  Enough to COMMIT MURDER?  C'mon, let's have it!

Heh. Thanks for answer that question, as well, Joe Redifer. I had a feeling that the images (or at least one of them) would be the type of material that you would make :wink:.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

Keranu

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2008, 05:53:47 PM »
Well I don't think you could officially say that crufixion stories and such about Jesus (pbuh) were taken from various pagan crufixion stories, but I personally believe that to be the case as well.

Quote from: nodtveidt
This is true, however I still think it's generally best not to depict any prophets so people don't twist it into a form of idoltry, like some Christians have with Jesus (pbuh).

Quote from: Joe Redifier
There was some guy who drew some comic with Mohammed in it and some of the hard-core Muslims went apeshit.  Also, Osama has recently said something to the effect that he will punish Western society for that heinous act of depicting him in a comic.  I don't recall his exact words.  I've never even seen the comic.  Perhaps they were pissed off because it wasn't even as funny as Marmaduke?
It's a matter of respect. I don't care if non-Muslims choose to depict Mohammad (pbuh) and they have every right to do so, but people shoulder consider how Muslims will feel about the issue. In the case of the famous Danish cartoons, it wasn't so much about the prophet being depicted as it was with depicting him in a very negative way and that's just an ignorant thing to do, regardless of who's being depicted. And of course I don't think it was the Islamic thing to do when some Muslims burned buildings and what not after those drawings were published.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2008, 07:18:43 PM »
The extremists ruin it all for everybody. 

Turbo D

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2008, 07:31:48 PM »
I am the turbo Extremist! Allow me to ruin your peanut butter!?! I demand satisfaction!  :P

guyjin

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2008, 04:24:34 AM »
I am the turbo Extremist! Allow me to ruin your peanut butter!?! I demand satisfaction!  :P

Excuse me while I hide my peanut butter...  8-[

seriously, WTF does turbo extremism have to do with peanut butter?

"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Keranu

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
seriously, WTF does turbo extremism have to do with peanut butter?
I was wondering the same thing. My guess is that it has to do with the ancient technique of removing marker from your TG16 cases using peanut butter.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

rag-time4

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2008, 12:24:00 AM »

It's a matter of respect. I don't care if non-Muslims choose to depict Mohammad (pbuh) and they have every right to do so, but people shoulder consider how Muslims will feel about the issue. In the case of the famous Danish cartoons, it wasn't so much about the prophet being depicted as it was with depicting him in a very negative way and that's just an ignorant thing to do, regardless of who's being depicted. And of course I don't think it was the Islamic thing to do when some Muslims burned buildings and what not after those drawings were published.

Ah but when people are different then often times their feelings become less important...  :-k