Author Topic: Top 10 Best PC Engine HuCard games  (Read 802 times)

type-r

Top 10 Best PC Engine HuCard games
« on: March 24, 2008, 02:37:49 AM »
PCE Hucard only! NO Supergrafx, TurboGrafx, ACD or SCD etc. I did this on another forum and got some interesting responses. The 10 best PCE Hucard games (they don't need to be your favourite).

Here are mine:

1. Magical Chase
2. Coryoon
3. Parasol Stars
4. Soldier Blade
5. PC Denjin
6. Tatsujin
7. Gekisha Boy
8. Outrun
9. Hana Taka Daka
10. Street Fighter 2

Even with 10, it is really difficult. There are sooooo many good card games on the engine. The skill and talent required by developers back then when card size was limited to just 3-4 megabits (~500kb!!) in most cases and to come up with the games as good as those above, is frankly remarkable.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 02:42:35 AM by type-r »

Sinistron

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

type-r

Re: Top 10 Best PC Engine HuCard games
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 03:59:38 AM »
Ahh but that was for the TurboGrafx!

This one is for the PCE :)

Sinistron

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 04:00:56 AM »
no that was for both pce and turbografx.

if you look closer at the top ten of the survey winners you'll notice street fighter II in there-
and if you look closer at each person's top ten picks you'll see japanese only titles littered throughout.

the votes for the turbografx games were also the votes for their pce counterparts-
in other words same exact thing.

if you happen to mean games that were only released in Japan (hence PCE only)- your list has 4 games that were also released in America.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:09:40 AM by Sinistron »

type-r

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 04:07:46 AM »
Ahh only looked at the results which looked like Turbo games.

I guess posting that in the Turbo area would bias against turbo owners?? Certainly you named them all using the US names.

Personally I can't believe Gekisha Boy didn't even feature in the Top 25!! An outrage I tell ya! No Coryoon? And no Bomberman??

Hmm. Very Turbo-centric if you ask me!

Sinistron

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 04:10:59 AM »
Gekisha Boy was number six on my list if you look at the first link.  I agree its one of the top ten hucards period.

Also not sure why you say it's turbo-centric that there's no Bomberman- if it was MORE turbo-centric then Bomberman would have showed- not the other way around... 
it's just the way people voted- as you said- so many great games.

I used the translated or american version title names when possible since I like it that way- and since I actually tallied up all the votes  :P
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:16:58 AM by Sinistron »

type-r

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 04:16:42 AM »

Probably didn't feature on the final list as most people haven't played it due to it being a limited IREM release and a high price tag. Shame really. One of the most original games ever to be released!

Sinistron

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 04:20:45 AM »
Only 3 out of 29 voted for it.  I think it's a shame too- but as you said- not many here have it- and some who want it are waiting for an English patch version- which I personally find hard to understand as English text isn't needed to play the game or to understand the story as the opening scenes are pretty self-evident...
Then again I don't understand why quite a few of my faves are shown little love- like Son Son II and Doraemon Arabian Nights...  But that's why they're MY faves- everyone has their own.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:23:00 AM by Sinistron »

type-r

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 04:26:48 AM »
Yeah well I am glad GunHed came out on top... the original shooter when RED were on top of their game. I would say it was only surpassed later on with Soldier Blade but GunHed was and will always remain #1 and rightly so!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:28:55 AM by type-r »

Sinistron

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 04:30:46 AM »
I too agree undoubtedly that Soldier Blade is better.

how's Hanatakkadakka?  I just ordered it last night and I see it's on your top ten list.  I also have Out Run on the way- leaving me not having three on your list (all of which I want- Tatsujin and Magical Chase are my number 1 & 2 most wanted hu's and I don't have Street Fighter II yet but only because I'm still tracking down avenue pad 6's).

Coryoon is excellent and I like it better than Air Zonk- but being that I beat it the very first game I played I couldn't list it on my top ten.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:32:54 AM by Sinistron »

type-r

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 04:41:03 AM »
Hanatakadaka (so many ways of spelling it) is excellent - cutesy graphics and great tunes (which Taito are very good at). Some parts of the gameplay are very original - for example, there is one level which I remember where it switched from being left-right shooter to right-left - simple and effective and hints that the developers were trying to be a bit original which I like.

OutRun if like me you played at the arcades when I was younger back in late 80's is not quite the arcade however still a very good port and listenining to the music is enough to remind you of the good old days!

SF2 needs no explanation. Tatsujin is an awesome shooter - perhaps on par with Soldier Blade!! But it is difficult as hell, arguably the hardest shooter on the engine. Another is rather hard to track down and costs a pretty penny.

Magical Chase also doesn't need an introduction - a cutesy shooter, great graphics and tunes.

Sinistron

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 04:52:57 AM »
yeah the prices are the only reasons I don't have tatsujin and magical chase yet- and with magical chase- I want the US version which is even more expensive.

nat

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 04:57:05 AM »
Since we already had this thread a few weeks ago, let me just cut and paste my list from there. I'll add the Japanese names in parentheses if different.

Space Harrier
Dungeon Explorer
Gunhed
Air Zonk (PC Denjin)
Bonk 3 (PC Genjin 3)
Sinistron (Violent Soldier)
Psychosis (Paranoia)
Afterburner II
Download
Samurai Ghost (Genpei Toumaden 2)

Sinistron

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 05:02:59 AM »
You know nat I didn't notice that Download was on your list- It's the only one from your list that I don't have (though if the list was newer perhaps you'd have MC on it) and it's my number five most wanted hu.  Perhaps I should pull the trigger on that one pronto.

nat

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 05:12:20 AM »
It's a very tough game Sinisi, but beating it is sweet sweet victory. I love the subject matter of the game, the cinemas, etc. A very enjoyable experience, one of the best shooters on the system if you ask me. The weapon powerup system is gold, but I can't explain it. You just have to experience it first-hand.

And no I wouldn't put MC on that list because this apparently is the "PCE list" and the PCE version of MC blows donkey nuts.