Author Topic: DR Who fans :)  (Read 598 times)

guyjin

Re: DR Who fans :)
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 06:33:39 PM »
I've been a Who fan since 1979, and I also like the new show. The really amazing thing about the new Who, whether you like the show or not, is that it seems to make Who fans happy. That is, its a huge success as a new show and most of the OGs like it too. That isn't an easy thing to pull off with legacy series like this.

it's not really that amazing when you consider how bad some of the later seasons of the original series were.
If whovians were willing to put up with that, they will put up with almost anything.

that said, the new series rocks. Not as much as the Tom Baker era, but nothing will ever match that.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

SignOfZeta

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 06:33:56 PM »
The best thing about Dr. Who is the 80's theme done on the ARP Odyssey and Yamaha CS80, and Orbital's remix of said theme.

My favorite version of the theme is the one from midway through the Tom Baker era that brought the bridge back that was missing for many years. I think this is the version you are talking about. I also like the 1964 version, which was made with the most hardcore electronic music techniques I've ever heard of. Oribital's was great also, live of course.

I really don't give a crap about the new version of the theme, and I really dislike the new logo and title sequence.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 06:36:45 PM »
it's not really that amazing when you consider how bad some of the later seasons of the original series were.
If whovians were willing to put up with that, they will put up with almost anything.

Quality isn't everything. For example, I really didn't like Godzilla Final Wars. I'd rather watch a far shittier Godzilla movie. The 90s G films were f*cking great though.

I agree though that there are some really really horrible Who episodes. The Two Doctors for example. My word its terrible.

My least favorite Who ever though was the 2006 Xmas special. f*cking terrible.

ceti alpha

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 02:00:17 AM »
The best thing about Dr. Who is the 80's theme done on the ARP Odyssey and Yamaha CS80, and Orbital's remix of said theme.

My favorite version of the theme is the one from midway through the Tom Baker era that brought the bridge back that was missing for many years. I think this is the version you are talking about. I also like the 1964 version, which was made with the most hardcore electronic music techniques I've ever heard of. Oribital's was great also, live of course.

I really don't give a crap about the new version of the theme, and I really dislike the new logo and title sequence.

I agree Zeta. Why they removed the bridge of one of the best musical pieces ever created is beyond me. Bringing back the full version of the theme was essential.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"