Author Topic: The attack of eBay Seller stardogchampion1990 and the tale of a Super CD-ROM2  (Read 1165 times)

quoth09

edit (on February 12th, 2009): Updated links here, as the address to the story has not been valid for a while now. Link to the HTML story and images have been updated. No stardogchampion1990, you will not be forgotten by myself anytime soon, and may everyone eternally know what kind of shit you are full of.

UPDATE: What was originally going to be here I have changed over to HTML.

http://webpages.charter.net/quoth09/supercd.htm

read and enjoy.

If someone cares to take that and convert it into BB format, and actually get it properly split apart for reading on here without any edits, knock yourself out. I got tired of fighting with it.

---------------------------------------------

I attempted to put this story up, but due to some stupid posting size limit on here, it won't let me. So until this damn board thing is situated this post is on hiatus. I have even tried splitting it up into multiple posts, and I keep on getting a 403 error with Cotton, which is just pissing me off.

Aaron, contact me so I can either have you post this whole thing, or so I can, because I'm tired of seeing Cotton.
Seriously. This is a long post, and I'm sure this is some kickback for post size, but still, it's annoying.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 04:01:04 PM by quoth09 »
Warm milk, turkey, those can make you sleepy(well, the consumption of, you can't just hand around a turkey or a glass of warm milk, & expect to fall asleep).

Michael Helgeson

Sorry , we are experiencing technical difficulties Quoth09....Please stand by.....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 08:19:16 PM by Michael Helgeson »

ceti alpha

hehe.  :lol:

That sucks though quoth. I also got duped into thinking my US Duo was NR-Mint. Cosmetically it is fantastic - only a couple very minor scuffs. However, the caps were already going when it arrived at my door.  :| My only consolation was that I payed $150.00 for it and that virtually every Duo has this problem, or will have this problem. Just kind of irked me that it wasn't mentioned in the item description. The seller also didn't leave feedback for me.  :x

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nat

Well, an HTML version might be in order then. Go ahead and post a link here when it's ready.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Good to hear that your valid complaint was eventually settled.  That said, the linked page is a convoluted mess whose tale could've been told much more succinctly (Redfrog + X-Eye = WTF).

P.S. - The threats he alluded to likely pertain to your threats to open a Paypal dispute, to post the dispute on forums, and your mention of what others have told you to do - sending it back or worse (whatever the heck that means) and revealing his contact info.  You may not have intended the last two as threats, but it isn't unreasonable for him to take 'em as veiled threats (otherwise, there is no logical reason for their inclusion).

P.P.S. - I doubt that Paypal would've granted you your $30, since the seller offered a full refund plus shipping; they'd rather collect fees on the higher amount and eventual resale.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

quoth09

Good to hear that your valid complaint was eventually settled.  That said, the linked page is a convoluted mess whose tale could've been told much more succinctly (Redfrog + X-Eye = WTF).

P.S. - The threats he alluded to likely pertain to your threats to open a Paypal dispute, to post the dispute on forums, and your mention of what others have told you to do - sending it back or worse (whatever the heck that means) and revealing his contact info.  You may not have intended the last two as threats, but it isn't unreasonable for him to take 'em as veiled threats (otherwise, there is no logical reason for their inclusion).

P.P.S. - I doubt that Paypal would've granted you your $30, since the seller offered a full refund plus shipping; they'd rather collect fees on the higher amount and eventual resale.

Yes, I understand that it could have been shorter, but I wanted to make sure people understood that I tested as much as possible before even contacting this guy. I honestly wanted the system to work more than anything else. The emails were the longest part.

I never threatened to open a Paypal dispute until the end, and I actually had plans to do it, so it was definitely no threat, it was a sure promise. I don't play games with people that are unreasonable and don't care about their customers. I don't do that to people, and I don't appreciate getting it from sellers that have no business selling things if all they are going to do is lie. I suggest that other people follow a similar principal of their own. I'm not going to sit back and let people rip me off, plain and simple.

Actually, I know for fact that Michael has run into a situation with Paypal where they were wanting to have him get a repair invoice on a laserdisc player. If I recall correctly, the repair was for more than the charge of what he paid, so he got a refund or something. Either way, there is an option on there to select items not received as they were sold, and repair is one of the options viable during a dispute or claim.

So yeah, I have the system and Yes I did get a good deal (after it is repaired anyway) but the thing is, I should not have had to put up with all this crap, and hopefully I saved someone from suffering the same fate I did, by refusing to return this to him, just so he could profit off of other people, and sell this Super CD-ROM2 to someone else that has no resources to repair it, or even worse, they would assume that is just the way the system is supposed to be.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 06:59:25 PM by quoth09 »
Warm milk, turkey, those can make you sleepy(well, the consumption of, you can't just hand around a turkey or a glass of warm milk, & expect to fall asleep).

rag-time4

I found the discussion of Toshi's store interesting... You said that you know that you wouldn't have these kinds of problems with him, so why not reward him for his good service?

You would have spent more on shipping but you wouldn't have to worry about your item not working, as you said, and it would have been well packed. So the desire to save a few bucks ended up causing heartache and wasted time and energy... [-X

I recently got a $50 paypal coupon, and after failing to find a copy of Drac X or downtown nekketsu monogatari, i decided to spend it at Toshi's store... he's taken some time to help me track down some complete Koei games for PS1 so I try to support his store whenever I can and overall i've found his packing and his service to be the best of any seller i've dealt with on ebay.

If people don't support good businesses, they will go under, and we'll be left with people who are only out to make a quick few bucks like the seller in your auction.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 01:23:31 AM by rag-time4 »

Black Tiger

I found the discussion of Toshi's store interesting... You said that you know that you wouldn't have these kinds of problems with him, so why not reward him for his good service?

You would have spent more on shipping but you wouldn't have to worry about your item not working, as you said, and it would have been well packed. So the desire to save a few bucks ended up causing heartache and wasted time and energy... [-X

I recently got a $50 paypal coupon, and after failing to find a copy of Drac X or downtown nekketsu monogatari, i decided to spend it at Toshi's store... he's taken some time to help me track down some complete Koei games for PS1 so I try to support his store whenever I can and overall i've found his packing and his service to be the best of any seller i've dealt with on ebay.

If people don't support good businesses, they will go under, and we'll be left with people who are only out to make a quick few bucks like the seller in your auction.

I had pretty much the exact same experience as quoth09, minus the rudeness or a refund, with a purchase from Toshi/Dream Stars. So there's still no safe bet buying from online sellers you don't know personally.

At least quoth09 was able to fix his system and wasn't left with a bunch of rotting games.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

nat

I had pretty much the exact same experience as quoth09, minus the rudeness or a refund, with a purchase from Toshi/Dream Stars.

Really? I'm shocked. That doesn't fit his MO.

So what was the outcome/resolution if you didn't get a refund?

Michael Helgeson

Yea,same here,Toshi always did me right on multiple purchases.

Black Tiger

I had pretty much the exact same experience as quoth09, minus the rudeness or a refund, with a purchase from Toshi/Dream Stars.

Really? I'm shocked. That doesn't fit his MO.

So what was the outcome/resolution if you didn't get a refund?

After a series of slow responses and delays, since I wasn't willing to lose a bunch more money(more than the price of the system) shipping the console back to Japan, I was left with a non-working, non-repairable Neo Geo CD system and a bunch of games I had bought separately to play on it.

At least I was able to get rid of the stink and greasy film-

https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=2847.0

nat

Oh OK, I remember that thread now.

I guess I didn't realize that was Toshi. Wow, not his style from my experiences.

Black Tiger

Oh OK, I remember that thread now.

I guess I didn't realize that was Toshi. Wow, not his style from my experiences.

I could have "demanded" a partial refund of something. But I don't like getting into that kind of thing and I didn't want it to lead to anything negative since I figured he'd likely have things I'd want to buy in the future that I wouldn't find elsewhere.

But separate from how he handled the problem afterwards, it doesn't change the fact that he knowingly sold and packaged/sent a stinking oily console that didn't work very well.

Michael Helgeson

Did you ever pop it open and try to track down a new laser?

Black Tiger

Did you ever pop it open and try to track down a new laser?

Toshi checked with his contacts and I looked around online, but I have never been able to figure out what kind of laser it uses.

I'd rather not attempt to gut it on the off chance it has a part number I can read.