Author Topic: Trash & you  (Read 517 times)

guyjin

Trash & you
« on: March 28, 2008, 09:48:43 AM »
Pick any of the above that you agree with.

Also, have you ever gotten anything interesting from other people's trash?
We're all familliar with Tatsujin's recent score, but what did _you_ get?

I've gotten an ipod and a USB hard drive, among other things.

edit: I'm a dumbass. Could one of you smart, hardworking mods move it to chit-chat?  :oops:
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Trash & you
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 10:18:04 AM »
One man's trash is another man's treasure.  There's nothing wrong with recycling something useful, though I don't recall ever finding anything worth salvaging from the dust bin. 
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 10:23:26 AM »
I've never spent any time rooting around in garbage.

On that note, I've never seen anything worth taking on casual inspection while passing by a dumpster. Usually all I see is.... garbage.

All that said, I'm left wondering what you people that find these gems are going through to even discover them? Wait, I probably don't want to know.

Turbo D

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 10:27:52 AM »
Funny story: One time this girl I was dating took me to a dumpster behind party city. She took me there to get Halloween costumes. Lmao. I went along with it though. We ended up with some funky costumes too,lol. It was an experience. I've never done it before or since. I suppose if I ever went to Japan, I'd do it like crazy to get SuperFamicoms  :mrgreen:

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 11:28:07 AM »
Nes and computer stuff once. Also a Vic-20 once back in mid 2000.
If its at the curb and I can see it,its fair game.

guyjin

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 01:33:00 PM »
All that said, I'm left wondering what you people that find these gems are going through to even discover them? Wait, I probably don't want to know.

Too late!  :twisted:

So yeah, I work as a janitor at a university. it pays the bills. But anyway, I have to clean up after the kids when they move out, and since this is a university, and private, they throw away stuff that any of us here would at least ebay, if not keep. I don't often even get the good stuff; I've heard of some students throwing away working televisions and laptops.  [-(
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

quoth09

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 01:37:03 PM »
I have gotten some nice items from the trash before. I have gone dumpster diving a few times as well in the past, and gotten some nice information at the time, which I will not disclose here.

I have gotten working computer parts, NES and SNES games, as well as numerous other items that I can either sell, or do something with on my own, from people's trash.

I have no qualms about any of it, nor am I ashamed. If people are stupid enough to throw things away and not recycle them or otherwise, then it's fair play.
Warm milk, turkey, those can make you sleepy(well, the consumption of, you can't just hand around a turkey or a glass of warm milk, & expect to fall asleep).

Dark Fact

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 03:48:45 PM »
People actually threw out old NES and SNES games as well a NES? What the hell were they thinking? :shock:

As for me, I do paper deliveries in a very high-class community.  There were people throwing out old work desks and shelves that only had a few scratches on them and still looked useful.  In addition, they also threw out perfectly good washing machines and dyers! You think the middle-class are wasteful bastards? Try walking through a high-class neighborhood sometime on garbage day.

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

nat

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 05:04:25 PM »
People actually threw out old NES and SNES games as well a NES?

I threw away an NES once.

Here's the kicker. Are you ready for this? It actually didn't work.

This thread has me wondering if some chump went dumpster diving, found it, took it home only to find out his banana peel-encrusted find really was just a heap of junk.

Keranu

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 06:01:07 PM »

Too late!  :twisted:

So yeah, I work as a janitor at a university. it pays the bills. But anyway, I have to clean up after the kids when they move out, and since this is a university, and private, they throw away stuff that any of us here would at least ebay, if not keep. I don't often even get the good stuff; I've heard of some students throwing away working televisions and laptops.  [-(
Hey I'm a janitor too! Unfortunately I clean up at a town hall, so nothing that interesting gets thrown away :( . I did find a nice perfectly working Casio print calculator though which even came with four working AA batteries and a AC adapter! I also brought home a Sony U-matic video tape that they like to record board meetings on.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 07:11:13 PM »
ha! great topic.

Personally, I'm all about recycling, so I find new uses for old crap:
I save bags from cereal boxes and frozen veggies to use for coffee grinds,
random crap becomes "stuff" my daughter uses in her arts-n-crafts projects,
etc, etc.

I've refinished / re-upholstered a lot of nice furniture that folks were getting rid of on garbage night,
I've taken old plastic drawers from fridges to use in my garage workshop,
old lamps from the garbage are easily rewired,
blah, blah....

my favorite is finding amateur "art" in the garbage. :)
  |    | 

Tatsujin

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 10:46:40 PM »
trash & me = big frens!! (as long the trash has to do something with japanese videogaming, still is usable and kinda clean) :mrgreen:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Joe Redifer

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 10:52:25 PM »
It sucks that I'm only able to choose 20 of the options from that list.   :D

Tatsujin

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 11:06:31 PM »
yeah..where is the cheat for the hidden 21th?!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

WoodyXP

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 04:39:58 AM »

I'm a trash picker and proud to be one.  Military people pack up and move all the time and during their moves they
throw away loads of good stuff.  I've found all kinds of shit like car parts, video games, DVD's, books of CD's, electronics
you name it.  If a person can't take it with them they usually throw it away.. even when there's nothing wrong with it.  8)