Author Topic: The weirdest thing just happened with my Duo. (Sound and Soldier Blade related)  (Read 669 times)

Nintega Turbine Trio-CBS

Remember yesterday when I mentioned my Duo was having sound problems? Well that day after I played Soldier Blade I decided to give my CD games another shot and all of the missing sounds suddenly came back! I tried it again today. I loaded Nexzr, no explosion sounds. Turned on Soldier Blade, turned the machine off. Loaded Nexzr again, THE SOUNDS RETURNED!

More proof that Soldier Blade is awesome! THAT HUCARD HAS HEALING POWERS!  :lol:

Sinistron

Oh indeed.  Soldier Blade is not from this planet- It is a masterpiece of cosmic proportions.

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
Quote from: Tatsujin
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

Nintega Turbine Trio-CBS

Oh indeed.  Soldier Blade is not from this planet- It is a masterpiece of cosmic proportions.

Amen :lol:

nat

What you describe is "normal" for the failing capacitor syndrome. It starts as an intermittent problem and gets progressively worse.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
What you describe is "normal" for the failing capacitor syndrome. It starts as an intermittent problem and gets progressively worse.

Or starts as an intermittent problem and then goes away entirely; at least that's what mine did a few years back, and I haven't had a single problem since.  I figure that it's just a matter of time, so I feed my Duo a steady diet of Soldier Blade to help delay the inevitable.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Nintega Turbine Trio-CBS

I see.

Jitawa

I see.

The problem is with electrolytic capacitors, which are little cylinders filled with a solution:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor

There was a rash of problems with these more than a decade ago:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

The nature of the function of capacitors means failure typically doesn't result in a complete system failure, but little issues.  I think it might be D-lite's mod page that says your system needs to be able to run well for two hours before you ship it to him (things change as it heats up). 

For what it's worth, a capacitor actually burst on my Duo, putting brown fluid all over the main board.  Even so, it still turns on, games play, and there's sound.  However, the chance for failure and various other problems means fixing it is probably a good idea.

For my part, I'm probably going to ship Duo to Nat to be fixed some time soon when I have time to pack it up and such.

MurderDate

this is why I tell people to get a Turbo CD and leave the Duos alone.   I had a Duo for about a week and mine did the exact same thing you are talking about.  Broke my heart.  My Turbo CD has not let me down once.
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

Jitawa

this is why I tell people to get a Turbo CD and leave the Duos alone.   I had a Duo for about a week and mine did the exact same thing you are talking about.  Broke my heart.  My Turbo CD has not let me down once.

I have a Turbo CD as well, but I never got the System 3.0 card, and those are kinda hard to come by.  The Duo's size/form factor is much much better too.

Nintega Turbine Trio-CBS

I see.

The problem is with electrolytic capacitors, which are little cylinders filled with a solution:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolytic_capacitor

There was a rash of problems with these more than a decade ago:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

The nature of the function of capacitors means failure typically doesn't result in a complete system failure, but little issues.  I think it might be D-lite's mod page that says your system needs to be able to run well for two hours before you ship it to him (things change as it heats up). 

For what it's worth, a capacitor actually burst on my Duo, putting brown fluid all over the main board.  Even so, it still turns on, games play, and there's sound.  However, the chance for failure and various other problems means fixing it is probably a good idea.

For my part, I'm probably going to ship Duo to Nat to be fixed some time soon when I have time to pack it up and such.

Yeah I will do the same thing eventually.

ApolloBoy

Yeah, but you're forgetting about the Duo-R/X. IMO, it's a much better choice than the TG-CD setup.
Quote from: Arkhan
it makes me laugh because people are like I REMEMBER PLAYIN THAT BACK IN THE DAY, MAN THAT WAS FUN.

and then I go "yeah I remember playing that 2 days ago because I still have my SNES, retard"

Nintega Turbine Trio-CBS

Yeah, but you're forgetting about the Duo-R/X. IMO, it's a much better choice than the TG-CD setup.

But I hate how most of the used R/RXs are YELLOW. That is why I got the original Duo.

ApolloBoy

But I hate how most of the used R/RXs are YELLOW. That is why I got the original Duo.

Actually I see more white Duo-R/Xs then yellowed ones.
Quote from: Arkhan
it makes me laugh because people are like I REMEMBER PLAYIN THAT BACK IN THE DAY, MAN THAT WAS FUN.

and then I go "yeah I remember playing that 2 days ago because I still have my SNES, retard"