Author Topic: Gunhed criticisms  (Read 1647 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: Gunhed criticisms
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2008, 04:39:17 PM »
Well I think there is some contrived plot line in the front of the manual...that's probably it.

esteban

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2008, 05:15:17 PM »
Well I think there is some contrived plot line in the front of the manual...that's probably it.
hahahaha. yeah, I'm sure you're right.
  |    | 

romanoaj

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2011, 02:39:55 AM »
hahahaha. yeah, I'm sure you're right.
I do not own the manual.  Does anybody have a scan or a link so I can use my limited Japanese skills to translate a possible justification for how this game fits the source material?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2011, 03:03:01 AM »
I do not own the manual.  Does anybody have a scan or a link so I can use my limited Japanese skills to translate a possible justification for how this game fits the source material?

Video Game Den has a scan of the manual as well as the text from Blazing Lazers.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

rag-time4

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2011, 05:08:23 AM »
It just occured to me that the term 'necropost' is quite the double entendre!!

I had forgotten where zeta coined the "master of power metal shooting" moniker! Great stuff

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2011, 12:11:16 PM »
this was a great old thread to read. those gunhed manga look pretty cool and are cheap on ebay. im even interested in seeing the movie
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

thesteve

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2011, 03:53:33 PM »
ive always loved the game
havent seen the manual in years.
recovering from getting hit on the last level is not an issue, as long as you have been collecting the flashing orbs (from killing the changing powerups)

SignOfZeta

« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2011, 07:56:11 PM »
Wow. This thread is amazing.

fragmare

« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2011, 05:45:55 AM »
I really like Gunhed/Blazing Lazers.  Love it, in fact.  For coming out so early on in the system's life, it has a very "16-bit" look and feel, as opposed to to a lot of the stuff that was coming out in 87-89 for the PCE.  The only real crit I can find is that the levels can drone on at times, but that's Compile for you.  Pretty much all Compile shmups I can think of are the same way... with that being said, I still love Compile games.  And yes, level 9 is ball-smashingly hard in comparison with levels 1-8.

Mathius

« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2011, 06:38:38 PM »
This was one of my first "clears" on the Turbo. The rockin soundtrack kept me motivated. :)
F@ck Ebay Club member since 2010
Switch Friend Code: SW-2346-3388-5406

rag-time4

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2011, 06:46:43 PM »
the only thing missing is more discussion of the famicom cart!

SuperPlay

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2011, 01:47:24 AM »

What Chris had to say about Gunhed (spida1a)

That's what I am talking about .....................

romanoaj

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2011, 07:26:50 PM »

Video Game Den has a scan of the manual as well as the text from Blazing Lazers.

Thanks.  I've been to VGD many times, but never realized there were PDF files.  Cheers. 

esteban

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2011, 06:54:38 AM »

Ha! I just re-read it, too. I honestly don't remember linking to the German review of GunHed. I love the picture of the reviewer in that scan.

I also had totally forgotten about Mr. H. and how antagonistic he could be (I still loved him, though, because when he wasn't spending 99% of his energy arguing with someone, I enjoyed reading his perspective on things.)

Also, re-reading this thread made me wonder where Sinistron was these days (he popped up at some point in the past year and said life was busy...or something along those lines).

Anyway, back on topic: Blazing Lazers remains a great game, and for folks who complain about the default difficulty level (it *is* too easy), they should select the "GOD OF GAME" difficulty level.

IT IS ABSOLUTELY, MARVELOUSLY INSANE. :)

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:58:31 AM by esteban »
  |    | 

rag-time4

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2011, 12:52:29 PM »
i would like to read more about the famicom cart in this thread.