Author Topic: Gunhed criticisms  (Read 1657 times)

Spector

Gunhed criticisms
« on: April 01, 2008, 08:52:16 PM »
It's a great game and everything, but don't you think the first half is too easy? I played it a couple of times without looking at the instructions, then I read up on the power up system and the next time I played it I got to level 6. At no time in the first five levels did I feel like I was under real pressure.

It takes about half an hour to get going, and I can't be bothered with that. Maybe I need to play Side Arms instead.

I've seen a level select mode for Gunhed which involves pressing I and II then tapping select repeatedly, but I can't get it to work. Can anyone here give me a more detailed description as to what I should do so I can practice the later levels, which are the only ones that excite me?

You've got to feel the thrill... of disgust!
The beauty... of obscenity!

SignOfZeta

Re: Gunhed criticisms
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 11:33:59 PM »
Hudson shooters in general are easier than average. I look at it as a nice break from getting my ass kicked constantly.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 01:51:52 AM »
The action is a bit sparse for my liking in the first few levels, I find SSS and the other Soldier games a lot more fun to play.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

elnino

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 02:06:15 AM »
The only criticism which comes to my mind is the unbalanced difficulty. The first few levels are way too easy and you manage to get on your feet after being destroyed in pretty much every situation in every level except the last one, which is about 634 times harder than all the rest put together. If you go down in the final stage you have no f*cking chance to get back on track. The 14'000 lives you've saved up until this time won't help you either since you go down again before you can rebuild your weapon arsenal, therefore I usually reset the game as soon as I lose a life. I find this very frustrating because I don't have to use much skill until the final level.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
People said his brain was infected by devils!
PCE Shmupscountown: 109/110 (1to go)
PCエンジン - シューティングゲーム読み秒:109/110個 (1個余る)

MurderDate

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 03:12:38 AM »
I wouldn't say it's too easy at all.  I don't think it's too difficult either - just right.
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

esteban

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 01:33:46 PM »
It's a great game and everything, but don't you think the first half is too easy? I played it a couple of times without looking at the instructions, then I read up on the power up system and the next time I played it I got to level 6. At no time in the first five levels did I feel like I was under real pressure.

It takes about half an hour to get going, and I can't be bothered with that. Maybe I need to play Side Arms instead.

I've seen a level select mode for Gunhed which involves pressing I and II then tapping select repeatedly, but I can't get it to work. Can anyone here give me a more detailed description as to what I should do so I can practice the later levels, which are the only ones that excite me?

In general, the first half is too easy. Sure, there are a few sequences where you have to be careful, but there are long stretches where you can mindlessly pick-off the waves of enemies that don't stand a chance against your powered-up armaments.

That said, I've always found stage 2 to be the most flawed: it is too long, with not enough action, and thus very long stretches of blahhhhhhhh....

I dig the music in stage 2, but even that can't save it.

I honestly feel that if stage 2 had been corrected, I'd feel much better about the game overall. Blazing Lazers was simply following the shoot-em-up conventions of the period by providing a.... hmmmm... is it a 40-minute game? I'm pretty damn sure that it is around 40 minutes long, although I honestly never timed it. It feels like a long game, anyway.

Now, as far a stage design is concerned, I feel that "themed" stages are a mixed bag: the rainbow bubbles are gorgeous and lots of fun. But, are they really substantial enough to carry the entire stage? Hmmm, perhaps it would have been better to provide a bit of variety, even if it meant recycling some bubbles for another section of the game. Otherwise, maybe the bubbles stage could have thrown a few more surprises at us.

I absolutely adore the music in the bubble stage. Did I mention that the entire soundtrack is great?

One of the later stages is a rehash of the first stage... hmm, surely a bit more could have been done to make it feel a bit fresher. At least it's a decent challenge, with a bunch of sequences that keep you on your toes (I love the relentless missile launchers).

My favorite song? I think it is the stage with all the brains soaring down the tunnel. Love that song.

Times have changed. I think that programmers were trying to put "rest periods" in these older shoot-em-ups, in an attempt to give players a rest and, perhaps more importantly, to build some tension and vary the tempo in games. Today, though, we simply refer to these sequences as "boring, uneventful" segments of a particular stage. Did Lifeforce do a better job at keeping things interesting and varied? I don't think so: Lifeforce suffers from the same problems as BL. In fact, they follow a very similar formula, IMO. I happen to love Lifeforce.

EDIT: So, let's see what the goddam Germans thought about GunHed...
GunHed review in PowerPlay Magazine.

Apparently, they were not as impressed as I was. Oh well...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 02:50:15 PM by esteban »
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 03:15:43 PM »
If you go down in the final stage you have no f*cking chance to get back on track.
Generally I agree with this and I used to think that it was impossible to beat that level without any powers ups as well. Notice I used to think that, because I now know it's possible! At the shmup tournament at the 2007 Midwest Gaming Classic, there was a person playing Blazing Lazers, and I don't even think he was very familar with the game and he was dying in easy spots. However he made an incredible come back in the last level where he practically beat the whole damn stage using the default weapon! I kept saying there was no way in hell he was going to make it, but he totally Rambo'd it. An amazing sight.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

klausien

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 03:26:33 PM »
Gunhed isn't part of the Star Soldier series, though it is very similar. It is a Compile game, not a Hudson one. Play Space Megaforce/Super Aleste for the SNES and you will see the similarities.

There is a certain charm to the look, sound and feel of the game that makes it age better for those who were exposed to it back in the day. The same could be said about all games, yes, but Gunhed was a great vert in its time, and was definitely one of the best that received wider distribution in the US. It's all about audience. Games like Elemental Master on the Genesis, and the later Star Soldier games on the Turbo are peers, but most people who have more than a passing interest in games have played Blazing Lazers.

Yes it is easy, but that is definitely part of the charm. Also, there are few powerups out there that rock as hard as the fully powered up laser (Number 4) in Gunhed. The Ring Blaster is the ticket to the finale, but I like playing with the laser/Homing missiles combo.

Bonknuts

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 04:35:26 PM »
Quote from: klausien
Also, there are few powerups out there that rock as hard as the fully powered up laser (Number 4) in Gunhed. The Ring Blaster is the ticket to the finale, but I like playing with the laser/Homing missiles combo.

Beginners usually use "III" right off the bat, but in the end "I" is the best weapon in the game. That with the two pods kicks ass, though homing missiles makes for a good second.

Anyone have pics or video of the "secret" weapon you get from collecting nothing but orbs?

esteban

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 04:42:54 PM »
If you go down in the final stage you have no f*cking chance to get back on track.
Generally I agree with this and I used to think that it was impossible to beat that level without any powers ups as well. Notice I used to think that, because I now know it's possible! At the shmup tournament at the 2007 Midwest Gaming Classic, there was a person playing Blazing Lazers, and I don't even think he was very familar with the game and he was dying in easy spots. However he made an incredible come back in the last level where he practically beat the whole damn stage using the default weapon! I kept saying there was no way in hell he was going to make it, but he totally Rambo'd it. An amazing sight.
I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but the trick to the final stage is really knowing how to adjust your speed! Peashooter + adjusting speed is all you need. Yeah, it's nice to grab a few measly power-ups, gradually, but that's not the secret.
  |    | 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 05:01:32 PM »
Gunhed isn't part of the Star Soldier series, though it is very similar. It is a Compile game, not a Hudson one.

Can we verify, positively, Compile/Hudson involvement/non-involvement, and more specifically Compile/Hudson staff involvement/non-involvement in the Soldier series, especially the earlier games, and Gunhed? It kind of seems like Hudson could have just outsourced development of Gunhed since they wanted to publish as game in conjunction with the Gunhed movie, which was "produced in cooperation with Hudson", or something like that.

What I'm getting at is that Gunhed sure seems like a Soldier series game to me...

SignOfZeta

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 05:05:49 PM »
Quote from: elnino

Every shooter I've ever finished from back then was a one credit clear. Even Gate of Thunder, which is probably my favorite shooter ever, has that problem where if you die once in the later levels you might as well just reset. Its a flaw for sure, but a flaw that effected virtually every shooter made up until the mid 90s.

I never once finished Lords of Thunder by continuing. All your money, life, and powerups are gone and you have to be a f*cking master of power metal shooting to finish the last level.

nat

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 05:18:20 PM »
What I'm getting at is that Gunhed sure seems like a Soldier series game to me...

I agree.

It seems like Hudson simply outsourced (as you said) the development of Gunhed to Compile. Super Star Soldier was developed by Interstate/Kaneko wasn't it? Does that mean it's not part of the series either? Of course not; it's just another case of outsourcing. Only Final Soldier and Soldier Blade were developed in-house entirely by Hudson. Actually, Final Soldier is the only one I'm really sure didn't have any outside involvement.

People always insist on comparing Gunhed to Space Megaforce and the like, which is fine and all, but it shares just as many things in common with Super Star Soldier as it does with Space Megaforce.

It seems to me in the case of Gunhed Hudson had an idea for a game series, or perhaps just a single game at the time, gave the outline to Compile and told them to run with it. "We want a game that has this, and does this, and looks like this. Now go build it." Then they did the same thing with SSS.

Turbo D

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 05:25:44 PM »
I have the gunhed comic book  :P

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 06:01:35 PM »
Quote from: elnino

Every shooter I've ever finished from back then was a one credit clear. Even Gate of Thunder, which is probably my favorite shooter ever, has that problem where if you die once in the later levels you might as well just reset. Its a flaw for sure, but a flaw that effected virtually every shooter made up until the mid 90s.

I never once finished Lords of Thunder by continuing. All your money, life, and powerups are gone and you have to be a f*cking master of power metal shooting to finish the last level.

Because you are so awesome and have one credited shooters when all others have failed we would like you to present yourself with this award:

You are a true dedicated Star Soldier of shooters Zeta,so sit back,kick back,and enjoy a cold one in honor of yourself. You rock  :clap:  :clap:   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Seriously cant say anything bad about Gunhed. Its a top of the line shooter for its time,and for the hardware its on.
Look at it and at all other shooters released at the time for home systems,Gunhed easily stands as one of the best,if not the best in that time period and still easily holds its own today.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 07:28:09 PM by Michael Helgeson »