Author Topic: Gunhed criticisms  (Read 1653 times)

Bonknuts

Re: Gunhed criticisms
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 06:06:36 PM »
Guess someone didn't read the new forum rules..  :-"

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 06:17:10 PM »
Indeed, mal.  He apparently didn't read (or comprehend) Zeta's post either, as Zeta didn't say that he'd 1cc'd every shooter known to man, only those that he's personally completed.  But hey, who doesn't enjoy entirely off topic posts and vulgarity used to attack other members?

I have the gunhed comic book  :P

This sounds a bit familiar, but I'd greatly appreciate some elaboration.  :pray:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Turbo D

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 06:24:09 PM »
well, apparently gunhed was based off of some sort of movie or anime. One day I was shootin through the bargin bin at the local comic shop when all of a sudden I saw them. I was like; wtf?!?!?!? So I bought them. Never read them though, lol. I'll take some pics when I recover my digital camera ( I seem to have misplaced it in a drunken stupor last weekend  :oops:.)

Keranu

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 06:31:25 PM »
Even Gate of Thunder, which is probably my favorite shooter ever, has that problem where if you die once in the later levels you might as well just reset.
Actually I think Gates is one of the few shooters that is very "die-friendly". Maybe it's because there isn't much to power up on, but I definitely never had any frustration with losing weapons in that game.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

SignOfZeta

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 06:34:04 PM »
Indeed, mal.  He apparently didn't read (or comprehend) Zeta's post either, as Zeta didn't say that he'd 1cc'd every shooter known to man, only those that he's personally completed.  But hey, who doesn't enjoy entirely off topic posts and vulgarity used to attack other members?

Well what I was really getting at is that I don't know how you can beat old shooters any other way. If you die once you are completely f*cked. Gunhed may have this problem, but so do most other old shooters. OCCing GoT is rather easy in the grand scheme of shooters. Its a lot easier than SSS, IMO, which I've never even made it half way through.

I must say though, I've always sort of secretly wanted a psychotic stalker internet fan who would spend hours tracking my internet activity, doing horrible MS paint composites of me Jeff K/Meg Griffen style, and inventing a colloquial subculture that not even I understand, but now that I have one...its kind of creepy, isn't it? I guess it could be worse. They could be good MS paint composites. That would be extra weird.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 06:35:02 PM »
Even Gate of Thunder, which is probably my favorite shooter ever, has that problem where if you die once in the later levels you might as well just reset.
Actually I think Gates is one of the few shooters that is very "die-friendly". Maybe it's because there isn't much to power up on, but I definitely never had any frustration with losing weapons in that game.

Yeah, dying isn't so bad. Continuing is pretty harsh though.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
well, apparently gunhed was based off of some sort of movie or anime.

Its supposedly based off this crappy live action mecha movie called Gunhed that came out the same year. I have this movie on DVD. Its pretty bad, but not much worse than Roadhouse, or Tango and Cash or any of the shitty American action movies from that time. There are no space fighter ships in the movie from what I remember, so I'm not sure what connection there is other than the name. It really feels like the game was just something sitting around that they slapped the name Gunhed on at the last minute to try some cross promotion.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 06:40:36 PM by SignOfZeta »

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 07:02:11 PM »
Guess someone didn't read the new forum rules..  :-"

Well what I was really getting at is that I don't know how you can beat old shooters any other way. If you die once you are completely f*cked. Gunhed may have this problem, but so do most other old shooters. OCCing GoT is rather easy in the grand scheme of shooters. Its a lot easier than SSS, IMO, which I've never even made it half way through.

I must say though, I've always sort of secretly wanted a psychotic stalker internet fan who would spend hours tracking my internet activity, doing horrible MS paint composites of me Jeff K/Meg Griffen style, and inventing a colloquial subculture that not even I understand, but now that I have one...its kind of creepy, isn't it? I guess it could be worse. They could be good MS paint composites. That would be extra weird.

Sure I did,it said keep vulgarities to a minimum,and heated discussions were allowed as long as they stayed to a minimum,ect. No ones name calling here and def no heated debate going on currently....

Actually Zeta we were all poking fun of what you said in the shout box though. If you actually took the time out of your busy life to talk to us there directly you could have elaborated more on the theory of
f*cking master of power metal shooting
a tad bit more....

Necro,I clearly didn't say he beat every shooter ever made either lol and the vulgar language his his own,not mine,see said quote:
Quote from: elnino
If you go down in the final stage you have no f*cking chance to get back on track.

Every shooter I've ever finished from back then was a one credit clear. Even Gate of Thunder, which is probably my favorite shooter ever, has that problem where if you die once in the later levels you might as well just reset. Its a flaw for sure, but a flaw that effected virtually every shooter made up until the mid 90s.

I never once finished Lords of Thunder by continuing. All your money, life, and powerups are gone and you have to be a f*cking master of power metal shooting to finish the last level.

Zeta is infact the one who coined this phrase
f*cking master of power metal shooting
,and its one of the funniest lines I have ever ,and I mean ever read. Esp considering it came from the same person struggling with Burning Angels.. I swear some of you have ZERO humor what so ever sometimes.... :( Also,I wasn't the first person on this thread to stray  off the Gunhed topic,Zeta was with the talk of other shooters besides Gunhed ect.. Also,Zeta,I swear there is no need to do the double and triple post my man,there is a modify option after you can use to combine all those post into one.

As for Gunhed movie,I remember one on late at night and I tried to sit though it but lost interest. Maybe I need to hunt it down and give it another go. I def don't remember what I saw of it having anything much to do with the game,but since I did not watch it all the way...... We will see. As I said,I don't see anything wrong with Gunhed. Its amazing for its time,the power ups,graphics,music,soundfx ect are all top notch and a benchmark for late 80ies home system shooters.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 07:25:31 PM by Michael Helgeson »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 07:53:15 PM »
Michael Helgeson, please read posts before responding to them. My point is that its *harder* to finish many of these games by continuing that it is to just reset until you learn the game well enough to OCC it. If you just drop someone unaided into stage 6 of Gunhed they have to be really really good to get anywhere.

If I used a level select code to get to the last stage of LoT but not a code to give me max money, I'd never be able to finish it because I am not the f*cking Master Of Power Metal Shooting that it takes to clear that final stage without all the money. That was the point all along I was not saying I'm awesome at shooters. Someone who is awesome at shooters would be able to win with a continue whereas I can only win with a OCC where I stay powered up the entire game. As soon as I see the continue screen in LoT I've already lost no matter how many continues I have left.

Lastly, "f*cking Master Of Power Metal Shooting" was a term coined hyperbolically on purpose. Its rather amazing that you have to be told this.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 08:02:50 PM »
Michael Helgeson, please read posts before responding to them. My point is that its *harder* to finish many of these games by continuing that it is to just reset until you learn the game well enough to OCC it. If you just drop someone unaided into stage 6 of Gunhed they have to be really really good to get anywhere.

If I used a level select code to get to the last stage of LoT but not a code to give me max money, I'd never be able to finish it because I am not the f*cking Master Of Power Metal Shooting that it takes to clear that final stage without all the money. That was the point all along I was not saying I'm awesome at shooters. Someone who is awesome at shooters would be able to win with a continue whereas I can only win with a OCC where I stay powered up the entire game. As soon as I see the continue screen in LoT I've already lost no matter how many continues I have left.

Lastly, "f*cking Master Of Power Metal Shooting" was a term coined hyperbolically on purpose. Its rather amazing that you have to be told this.

Most consider it to be harder to one credit a game then to continue,no matter where the spot is and how weakened you are but I do get what you are saying.There are def some spots in shooters that can seem impossible if you have died and lost power ups. There are some people who simply cant 1 credit a certain game though and continuing is the only option for them to beat it, so they would consider a 1 credit run as being a master level run through because the player had enough skill to never die at all,zero mistakes made,aka perfect run. Again,I simply stated the term you coined was funny. Just because you didn't think so doesn't matter,alot of us got a good laugh out of it either way.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 08:11:12 PM by Michael Helgeson »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 08:16:01 PM »
Quote from: Michael Helgeson
Again,I simply stated the term you coined was funny. Just because you didn't think so doesn't matter,alot of us got a good laugh out of it either way.

I did think so, that's why I coined it in the first place. Who says, "f*cking Master Of Power Metal Shooting" with a straight face?

jumping jesus on a pogo stick...

elnino

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 09:05:20 PM »
Quote from: elnino
If you go down in the final stage you have no f*cking chance to get back on track.

Every shooter I've ever finished from back then was a one credit clear. Even Gate of Thunder, which is probably my favorite shooter ever, has that problem where if you die once in the later levels you might as well just reset. Its a flaw for sure, but a flaw that effected virtually every shooter made up until the mid 90s.

I didn't mean that having a damn hard time coming back after losing a life is a bad thing in general and I wouldn't even consider this as a flaw. I like shmups which are hard and challenging a lot. The problem with Gunhed is the difficulty gap between the final stage and the rest of the levels. Every other shooter where you're doomed after you've died is basically challenging throughout the whole game. Gunhed, however, lets you sleep through the first few levels, requires maybe average skills in the mid-levels and then all of a sudden gets freaking difficult in the final stage. If the difficulty increased constantly I wouldn't have a problem with it but knowing that after reseting the game I won't be challenged until I get to the final level again is quite a frustration and makes me think twice if I should give it another try.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
People said his brain was infected by devils!
PCE Shmupscountown: 109/110 (1to go)
PCエンジン - シューティングゲーム読み秒:109/110個 (1個余る)

elnino

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 11:24:06 PM »
Beginners usually use "III" right off the bat, but in the end "I" is the best weapon in the game. That with the two pods kicks ass, though homing missiles makes for a good second.

Anyone have pics or video of the "secret" weapon you get from collecting nothing but orbs?

I prefer "IV" over any other weapon in the game, though it's quite weak until you've fully powered up. I haven't seen the secret weapon in action yet, maybe I'll give it a try. :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net
People said his brain was infected by devils!
PCE Shmupscountown: 109/110 (1to go)
PCエンジン - シューティングゲーム読み秒:109/110個 (1個余る)

Turbo D

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 11:27:54 PM »
I like III with the focuser power-up. It doesn't work so well in the later levels though.

Sinistron

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 02:29:50 AM »
Hudson shooters in general are easier than average. I look at it as a nice break from getting my ass kicked constantly.

If you die once you are completely f*cked. Gunhed may have this problem, but so do most other old shooters. OCCing GoT is rather easy in the grand scheme of shooters. Its a lot easier than SSS, IMO, which I've never even made it half way through.

The PCE Hudson shooters are the Star Soldier series, Gate and Lords and Air Zonk.  Their name is also on Gunhed and the Raiden port though they've obviously had less to do with those games.  So when you say "Hudson shooters in general are easier than average"- do you actually mean what you say- or are you strictly referring to your GOT experiences?  Because if so- "in general" is more than a touch off.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 02:32:11 AM by Sinistron »

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
Quote from: Tatsujin
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real