Author Topic: What do yo do if your SNES is yellow? (56k you're gay)  (Read 795 times)

Turbo D

What do yo do if your SNES is yellow? (56k you're gay)
« on: April 03, 2008, 12:00:55 AM »
Answer: Paint it Black!!?!?!?! Yes, you read that right. While you're at it, you might as well throw in a blue power led. Yep, Mario himself would be proud. Oh ya, don't for get to rip open your cartridge slot with some wire cutters so that you can play SuperFamicom games. When you're all finished, your super nintendo will look like a real 16-bit gaming console!

Keranu

Re: What do yo do if your SNES is yellow? (56k you're gay)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 12:16:11 AM »
Did you do that mod? The purple buttons on black looks very slick!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Turbo D

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 12:25:47 AM »
Yes I did Keranu. I dug up my SnEs last week to play that Chohmakaimura I scored for $5 at that hole in the wall game store. When the SnEs surfaced from the depts of my mess, it looked a bit different than I had remembered it. To my surprise, it.. it.. was.. YELLOW!?!?!? I was like; dude, wtf happened to you SnEs?!? I also could not play my SuperFamicom game. It would not fit!!! So I set out on a mission; a mission to save my SnEs. I took it completely apart. I then cut and ground away the SuperFamicom game blocking plastic barriers of hell. After that I cleaned everything with an electric toothbrush and a mild detergent( water and a few drops of dish soap.) After that, I went into my Pop's garage and found some semi-flat black paint. After a few coats, I was ready to play. But then I thought; Why not install a cool blue LED for the power on? So I went to Fry's and grabbed one for $2.50. The rest is history. I hope everyone enjoys my 2-day project  :mrgreen:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 02:48:38 AM »
That don't look half bad, but it'd look even better if you'd also paint the controller ports, cartridge slot, and eject button.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

guyjin

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 03:26:55 AM »
that actually looks pretty awesome. I may just try that with my own yellow SNES.  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 04:39:43 AM by guyjin »
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Bonknuts

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 04:34:40 AM »
What paint was used? The plastic/vinyl paint dye works great and it's pretty tough. You need to etch the plastic (break the surface) and remove move any oils.

Personally, I like eggshell or satin finishes better. I painted my original Duo in an eggshell soft white years ago (in '93).

nat

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 04:40:19 AM »
That don't look half bad, but it'd look even better if you'd also paint the controller ports, cartridge slot, and eject button.

I disagree, I think it looks incredibly slick just the way he did it. I'm going to do mine exactly the same.

When the SnEs surfaced from the depts of my mess, it looked a bit different than I had remembered it. To my surprise, it.. it.. was.. YELLOW!?!?!?

That happened to me, kinda. Except it happened overnight and mine wasn't hidden away anywhere. I just got up one day, went to play my SNES, and the bottom half of the shell was piss-yellow. It just happened overnight. WTF? Yours looks so good I'm going to do the exact same thing. Exactly what brand paint did you use? That looks so nice, I want to emulate the look exactly.

MurderDate

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 05:50:49 AM »
turbo, that looks fantastic!   I am all for black video game systems (but I admit I also love that early Nintedo gray).  Nicely done!
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

SignOfZeta

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 06:48:29 AM »
Pure lemonade.

ceti alpha

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 06:55:03 AM »
Nicely done Turbo! Looks absolutely fantastic!!  :clap:

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Joe Redifer

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 08:23:45 AM »
I'll never understand the rabid fascination people who mod their systems have with blue LEDs.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 08:34:49 AM »
I disagree, I think it looks incredibly slick just the way he did it. I'm going to do mine exactly the same.

To each their own, but I prefer simple color schemes, which is why I think the Turbo Duo looks so much better than the PCE Duo.  Of course, turbo D's SNES looks fine the way it is now, and surely much better than it did in yellow.  I don't suppose there's any 'before' pics, is there?

P.S. - I just noticed the end of the subject line; my dialup is indeed gay.  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

guyjin

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 09:41:03 AM »
P.S. - I just noticed the end of the subject line; my dialup is indeed gay.  :lol:

Ouch. Sucks to be you.

But I find it kinda funny that, if you weren't dealing with 'gay dialup', you'd have to deal with Cox. (ba dum pish)
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Mobius

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 12:38:27 PM »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 12:43:25 PM »
I'll never understand the rabid fascination people who mod their systems have with blue LEDs.

Blue LEDs in general have been all the rage for several years now. Anything from PC case fans to NO2 purge valves. I find it to be extremely passe and tacky and pretty ghetto fabulous in the worst way.

However I did put a blue LED in my Duo because it really does just look like it belongs there. Blue LEDs were much less common back then, and I think that if they had a choice they would have made it blue in the first place.

It also looks cool in a Euro DC because of the blue swirl. I wouldn't change the one in a US DC.