Author Topic: What do yo do if your SNES is yellow? (56k you're gay)  (Read 789 times)

Black Tiger

Re: What do yo do if your SNES is yellow? (56k you're gay)
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 12:56:58 PM »
I'll never understand the rabid fascination people who mod their systems have with blue LEDs.

Maybe its because most console's didn't use that color?

Its a system by system basis for me. I picked blue for my Duo RX because I figured it would look best with it while keeping the old red led visible.

Now that I know how much they light up, I'll probably replace console leds with ones of the same color, since the extra light is enough of a difference on its own.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Turbo D

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 01:28:27 PM »
I'm glad that everyone likes my mod project  :mrgreen:

What paint was used?

Exactly what brand paint did you use? That looks so nice, I want to emulate the look exactly.

I used Krylon Semi-Flat black paint. The LED is a Coast brand. Below is a pic:

nat

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 02:21:23 PM »
Perfect. Thanks.

guyjin

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 02:31:21 PM »
Hmm. I'm thinking, maybe, a paint job with the yellow parts painted white, and then 4 circles of color, in a + formation, on top of that: blue, green, red, and yellow, of course :)
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

sinfreealex

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2008, 03:52:18 PM »
Great idea, man. Looks great. I actually like that you left some of it unpainted.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2008, 04:11:52 PM »
Perfect. Thanks.

It looks great here, but unless you store it on a shelf and never touch it this SNES is going to look like a Max Headroom prop in a year. No primer means it will flake like a mofo, and semi flat means it will probably never cure correctly. From the pictures it looks even less flat than semi-flat, meaning that it may have had multiple coats applied when still wet meaning that it may even smudge to the touch months from now. That part is just a guess though since its hard to tell from the pic and flash tends to add shine to things that aren't there in real life.

To do this right you'll want to prime it (preferably with something hardcore like Kilz since a SNES is all slick and shiny and textured) and then spray with an acrylic base. Clear coat (matte, gloss, or whatever, just use acrylic clear coat if you are using acrylic paint) is optional. Then that shit would never come off. Do this all of course after cleaning the system extremely well. I'm sure there is some way to chemically treat it first, maybe just soak it in whatever the nastiest chemical is that won't melt the plastic. Non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner? Kerosene?

That thing looks great though, and infinitely better that that putrid yellow that so many SNES systems are now.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 04:15:36 PM by SignOfZeta »

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
"Yo?" Yo? What are yo? I doubt the word "yo" that's in the title has the same meaning as the greeting 8).

I gotta say, the black paint for the Super Nintendo makes it look pretty sleek. I also love the blue LED light given for it, too. Nice job you've done there, Turbo D.

Personally, though, if I had a Super Nintendo that had turned yellow, I would just leave it as-is. After all, it is a fasinating "aging process" and it only affects the bottom part og the console, for the most part.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

Turbo D

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2008, 10:58:02 AM »
Yo Kirby. I'm glad you enjoyed it :). My SnEs had massive yellowing on both the top and the bottom! I couldn't take it anymore so I had to paint it. I'll play a Kirby game in your honor today 8).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2008, 12:29:44 PM »
Blue LEDs are also extraordinarily bright.  Much more distracting than a red LED.  Turn out the lights in the room and the ceiling lights up with a blue LED (or the wall if the LED is in the SNES).  damn d00d!  Oh well, whatever toots your horn.

Turbo D

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2008, 01:39:46 PM »
Its pretty bright but the sNeS has a translucent piece of white plastic in front of it to soften the light, so its not too bad. I probably will go with a less bright blue LED for future projects. The LED I installed has an intensity level of a whopping 10,000 mcd!!! I saw one at Fry's that was only like 3,500 mcd but  I thought I was too cool for it, lol.

Keranu

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2008, 03:37:10 PM »
Blue LEDs are also extraordinarily bright.  Much more distracting than a red LED.  Turn out the lights in the room and the ceiling lights up with a blue LED (or the wall if the LED is in the SNES).  damn d00d!  Oh well, whatever toots your horn.
Yeah I don't think I would be fond of this. I've had little toys and stuff with bright blue LED lights and they are really sore on the eyes.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2008, 04:24:09 PM »
Yo Kirby. I'm glad you enjoyed it :). My SnEs had massive yellowing on both the top and the bottom! I couldn't take it anymore so I had to paint it. I'll play a Kirby game in your honor today 8).

Ha, ha. I'm pretty sure the "yo" in the title's supposed to be a mispelling for "you." I've never really seen any Super Nintendos (or "Nintendoes", for the plural form :-k) that turned yellow for both the top and bottom portions, online or otherwise. Have fun playing either Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Kirby's Avalanche, Kirby no KiraKira Kazu, or Kirby's Dream Course 8).

"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

Turbo D

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2008, 05:08:27 PM »
Ya, it was supposed to be you in the title. I posted it @ 4:00 am. I was really tired and excited at the same time, lol.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2008, 05:18:08 PM »
Yeah I don't think I would be fond of this. I've had little toys and stuff with bright blue LED lights and they are really sore on the eyes.

Blue LEDs and extra bright LEDs are sort of a new thing, as far as I know. When I put the blue one in my Duo R I specifically avoided the extra bright one because I didn't feel it would fit the vibe. Also, I have this Stanton mixer with a blue power LED on it that is so motherf*cking bright than it actually makes it hard to see where the knobs/faders are set in very low light conditions, and personally I don't appreciate that sort of thing.

Turbo D

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2008, 05:32:20 PM »
Ya, those stanton mixers have bright blue leds. Not as bad as my m-audio firewire 410 soundcard though; that bastard blinds me :x. Right now I'm using a vestax mixer and technic 1200 mk2s.