Author Topic: Setting up a network printer connection! Having problems! Need help!  (Read 602 times)

Dark Fact

Okay folks, need some help! ](*,)

So I'm trying to set up a shared network printing connection between my desktop and my sister's laptop.  I have the printer's USB cable plugged into the router.  I even established a shared network connection on both the desktop and the laptop in addition to installing the necessary software.

The problem is: I keep getting a "Connection Not Established" error whenever I try to print any documents.  Now, there is nothing wrong with the shared connection.  I can see my sister's connection and print job list just fine on my end and the cables are tightly in place.  One of my other friends mentioned that it must have something to do with establishing a proper print server address.  Anyone care to clear the air and walk me through this? It's bad enough having my sister whining at me over this. ](*,)

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

nodtveidt

Re: Setting up a network printer connection! Having problems! Need help!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 04:44:07 PM »
Erm...what you're trying to do is unlikely to work. I don't even know how you're able to plug the USB cable into the router. Real network printers have NIC devices in them, which is what you'd use to plug into the router. What kind of funky router have you got anyways? In any event, the best way to do this is to simply plug the printer into one of your computers and share it, that way the printer is available to all computers on the network.

Turbo D

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 05:03:07 PM »
You should just connect the Printer to the main desktop and then set it up as a network printer from there. That is what I did and it works great! Just go to the control panel and share the printer of your choice. I'm sure it can be done your way, but I have yet to try and figure it out. Good luck dude :)

SignOfZeta

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 05:27:43 PM »
Erm...what you're trying to do is unlikely to work. I don't even know how you're able to plug the USB cable into the router. Real network printers have NIC devices in them, which is what you'd use to plug into the router. What kind of funky router have you got anyways? In any event, the best way to do this is to simply plug the printer into one of your computers and share it, that way the printer is available to all computers on the network.

This sort of thing is really common in routers, bridges, etc. nowadays. Apple even sells those little Airport Express dealies that have not just a USB port for a printer but also analog and digital audio outs on them so you can stream whatever is playing in iTunes to any stereo in the house wirelessly.

I agree though that in this case having the printer hooked to one PC and sharing it from there is probably going to be the best method. It will be a more standardized situation to diagnose if there are any problems anyway.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 07:33:37 AM »
It sounds like the router is setup properly, but how did you add the printer at the two computers?  You should need to access the router (directly via IP address or with some sort of setup wizard) to type in the correct settings and to add the printer as an installed network device.  You may also need to install extra software on your computer before installing the printer.  In short, the best advice that I can give is to follow the manufacturer's instructions, as they're all a bit different to setup and have their own little quirks.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Dark Fact

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 03:34:31 PM »
Quote from: The Old Rover
It's a brand new model fresh from the store.  It is a D-LINK DI-604UP Broadband Ethernet Router with added USB Printer Port.
Quote from: Turbo D
You should just connect the Printer to the main desktop and then set it up as a network printer from there. That is what I did and it works great! Just go to the control panel and share the printer of your choice. I'm sure it can be done your way, but I have yet to try and figure it out. Good luck dude
Um, are you basing that on the assumption that my sister's laptop has a wireless connection? We use ethernet network cables.
Quote from: Necromancer
It sounds like the router is setup properly, but how did you add the printer at the two computers?  You should need to access the router (directly via IP address or with some sort of setup wizard) to type in the correct settings and to add the printer as an installed network device.  You may also need to install extra software on your computer before installing the printer.  In short, the best advice that I can give is to follow the manufacturer's instructions, as they're all a bit different to setup and have their own little quirks.
I used Network Setup Wizard from control panel on both me and my sister's computers.  We have specific names for our computers but we use one shared name for the printer.  The printer software was installed on both computers and we have updated our drivers.

I'm thinking of calling D-LINK technical support to root out this problem...but only as a last resort.

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Turbo D

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 04:15:04 PM »
Quote from: Turbo D
You should just connect the Printer to the main desktop and then set it up as a network printer from there. That is what I did and it works great! Just go to the control panel and share the printer of your choice. I'm sure it can be done your way, but I have yet to try and figure it out. Good luck dude
Um, are you basing that on the assumption that my sister's laptop has a wireless connection? We use ethernet network cables.

I'm basing that on the fact that it would be easier and more convenient imo.

Dark Fact

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 04:29:54 PM »
We've already got an ethernet connection setup.  I can see her print jobs just fine on my computer and vice versa.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 07:48:07 PM »
I used Network Setup Wizard from control panel on both me and my sister's computers.  We have specific names for our computers but we use one shared name for the printer.  The printer software was installed on both computers and we have updated our drivers.

I'm thinking of calling D-LINK technical support to root out this problem...but only as a last resort.

I'm guessing that the printer will have to be given its own address for your computers to be able to use it.  There should be a setup wizard from D-Link that may help; failing that, try to access the router directly via its IP address and look for any printer related settings.  If you still have no luck, have fun with their tech support.  :|

nodtveidt

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 03:32:23 AM »
I looked up instructions for your specific device. I found this information in a PDF file, converted to HTML for easier pasting:

Go to Start > Printers and Faxes.
Click on Add a printer.
Click Next.
Select Local printer attached to the computer. (Deselect Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer if it has been selected.)
Click Next.
Select Create a port: and from the pull-down menu select the correct port for your printer. (Most users will want to select Standard TCP/IP Port, as shown in the illustration.)
Click Next.
The Add Standard TCP/IP Printer Port Wizard window opens.
Click Next.
Enter the IP Address of the DI-604UP (default: 192.168.0.1) in the Printer Name or IP Address field. Add a name to the router IP address to differentiate it from other devices in the Port Name field.
The Wizard requires additional information to complete the process. In the Additional Port Information Required window, select the Custom radio dial and click the Settings button.
In the Configure Standard TCP/IP Port Monitor window, first select the LPR radio dial in the Protocol section.
Next, add a Queue Name, such as “lp1.”
Click OK.
The Wizard will return to the Additional Port Information Required window after the settings have been entered in the Port Settings tab on the Configure Standard TCP/IP Port Monitor window.
Please confirm the printer port information.
Click Finish.
Select and highlight the correct driver for your printer. (If the correct driver is not displayed, insert the CD or floppy disk that came with your printer and click Have Disk.)
Click Next.
At this screen, you can change the name of the printer (optional).
Click Next.
At this screen, you must enter a share name if you want to share the printer with other network users.
Click Next.
At this screen, you have the option of entering a location and description of your printer.
Click Next.
Select Yes, to print a test page. A successful printing will confirm that you have chosen the correct driver.
Click Next.

Dark Fact

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 04:26:38 PM »
Are those instructions for XP or Vista? :-s

nodtveidt

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 06:53:06 PM »
For XP. I figured you to be too smart to be using Vista.

Dark Fact

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 01:11:02 PM »
Okay, I followed the directions but whenever I tried to print a test page, the printer status window kept telling me that the printing was complete without even printing the page.  What gives?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 06:13:42 PM »
Are you certain that your printer is compatible with your router?  If it's a fairly new printer, then it should work; if it's an older model, then it may never work.

Sounds like it might be time for tech support.  Lucky you.  ](*,)

Dark Fact

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 07:32:45 AM »
My printer is a Lexmark X5470 injket all-in-one.  It is part of the X5400 series.  Would it work with a D-LINK DI-604UP?