Author Topic: HOORAY! HOORAY! I've Finally Gotten A TurboGrafx-16 Today!  (Read 3911 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: HOORAY! HOORAY! I've Finally Gotten A TurboGrafx-16 Today!
« Reply #120 on: July 26, 2008, 06:46:37 PM »
I believe if that were true, the moron who first coined the phrase "Barney Converter" would have chosen a different purple object in order to receive all of the LOLs that he surely obtained.

When he first laid eyes on the converter, he probably thought "Wow, it's purple; how gay is that?", and we all know that gay+purple=Barney.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Joe Redifer

« Reply #121 on: July 26, 2008, 07:02:31 PM »
Oh, and Grimace isn't gay and purple?

It has been established that the Kisado connector has the greatest compatibility of the available hucard adapters.

I guess that is true straight out of the box, but once you cut that evil trace on the mighty TV Game Computer Cartridge Converter is seems to have 100% compatibility even with the Arcade Card and the Tenokoe Bank, etc.

Turbo D

« Reply #122 on: July 26, 2008, 09:45:04 PM »
I have just two more questions for them: Was either brand officially licensed by NEC, and which type is more likely to work (on a TurboGrafx-16) without failure or damage?

Neither were officially licensed by Nec and both work great on the TurboGrafx-16. I would suggest getting whatever you can find cheapest. If you plan to use it in a duo, I would advise you to get the Kisado as the Barney tends to knock the hucard door off on the duo.

atr3yu

« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2008, 07:25:13 AM »
Well none were official,but I have a Kisado and it fels VERY flimsy. There is a gent. on these forums selling one of the other ones shown above with a system 3.0 card and lords of thunder for 110 bucks but own't split them up. I might suggest a region mod as they are only 40-50 bucks, alot cheaper and more stable.

EDIT

there is a convertor on ebay here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-Engine-TurboGrafx16-Grafx-Import-Adapter-PCE-TG16_W0QQitemZ280249691988QQihZ018QQcategoryZ139969QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

they wanted 65 buy it now mabe you could pm them and end the auciton early...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 07:27:11 AM by atr3yu »

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2008, 04:05:07 PM »
I have just two more questions for them: Was either brand officially licensed by NEC, and which type is more likely to work (on a TurboGrafx-16) without failure or damage?

Neither were officially licensed by Nec and both work great on the TurboGrafx-16. I would suggest getting whatever you can find cheapest. If you plan to use it in a duo, I would advise you to get the Kisado as the Barney tends to knock the hucard door off on the duo.
Well none were official,but I have a Kisado and it fels VERY flimsy. There is a gent. on these forums selling one of the other ones shown above with a system 3.0 card and lords of thunder for 110 bucks but own't split them up. I might suggest a region mod as they are only 40-50 bucks, alot cheaper and more stable.

EDIT

there is a convertor on ebay here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-Engine-TurboGrafx16-Grafx-Import-Adapter-PCE-TG16_W0QQitemZ280249691988QQihZ018QQcategoryZ139969QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

they wanted 65 buy it now mabe you could pm them and end the auciton early...

Thanks a lot, Turbo D and Atr3yu.  I don't have a TurboDuo (and depending on the circumstances, may never get one), so it should be quite fine. I don't have an interest in getting a region modification as I like the TurboGrafx-16 the way it is, and since such devices exist, I have less of a need for one. I have a preference of the TV Game Computer Converter over the Kisado brand, so when the opportunity arrives, I will purchase one to play PC Engine games with.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2008, 03:30:28 AM »
Oh, and Grimace isn't gay and purple?

Correct - he's mentally retarded and purple.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #126 on: September 23, 2008, 06:56:05 PM »
Yesterday, I've recieved four games in the mail for my TurboGrafx-16. A member on the PCEngineFX boards named Hoobs88 was selling extra copies of games that he had, and eyeing these, I was not sure whether to buy the ones I wanted or not. On Thursday, I thought it would be good to ask him a few questions pertaining to the purchase circumstances, which he answered them in a short time. I had registered for a PayPal account to pay for the cased copy of Alien Crush, The Legendary Axe, The Legendary Axe II, and a loose Bonk's Adventure. I am happy to that all of them came safely (and he really did a good job packaging them, too). I am anticipating to try out all of them when I get the chances.

So far, I've only played Alien Crush, and had a good deal of fun out of it, and it contains some of the more niftier sounds I've heard in video game. I can't really say how many games of that I've played exactly, but it was more than enough to actually let me experience jus about every event that could take place. It's so addicting...I would have loved to play it more if I didn't have so much college work to do, but it is good quick play times, too.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

Duo_R

« Reply #127 on: September 23, 2008, 10:13:57 PM »
I will step in and also say Hoobs88 - packs his shipments like a professional. Very fast shipping!
Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #128 on: September 24, 2008, 05:44:27 AM »
I will step in and also say Hoobs88 - packs his shipments like a professional. Very fast shipping!

Even he was impressed by the shipping speed when I informed him that the games came safely that day through a private message. Hoobs88 went as far to say "guess the Post Office can't be called 'snail mail' anymore."

SuperPCEngineGrafx has a LOOOONG way to go before reaching the professionality that Hoobs88 has with his packagings. Maybe he should try to use foam wraps instead of paper bags and styrofoam bits (I'm just teasing, Black Tiger :P; I realize you were trying to keep the TurboGrafx-16 and the two TurboChips as secure as you could with the limited materials you had).

nat

« Reply #129 on: September 24, 2008, 05:47:33 AM »
Ooooooh, burn!!!!!!!!!!11! Are you going to take this tomfoolery, Black Tiger? The midgets say my new hammer is almost ready....

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2008, 05:57:52 PM »
Ooooooh, burn!!!!!!!!!!11! Are you going to take this tomfoolery, Black Tiger? The midgets say my new hammer is almost ready....

Aw, come on :P. I can't even make a poke and get into a bit of trouble? I wasn't even trying to be that harsh (though I would feel bad if he was insulted even a little bit :().

I played Bonk's Adventure today. As I was about to put in the game into my TurboGrafx-16, I decided to clean it up a bit since it was quite dirty, especially on the bottom. A toothbrush wasn't enough to get the debris out, so I've used a diaperine/baby wipe to clense the bottom and back parts of the TurboChip. I got a bit concerned as I thought the sheet touched some of the connetors, but thankfully it worked just fine when I turned the console on.

I was surprised how jungle the title screen music sounded. Bonk ended up looking a little bit red on my TV, especially in the first round. It seemed to be a pretty tough game to play (I first had gotten a game over in World 1-3 whilst inside the dinosaur), and Bonk's controls can be very slippery. I've made it up to as far as World 2-3 for the day. I had loved it very much. It's too bad I can only give myself one hour to play video games since I have a lot of college work to do, usually.

rag-time4

« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2008, 07:11:19 AM »
On the subject of converters... don't know if this is the best place to mention this, but I had a bad experience with compatibility.

I have a converter that I bought from tzd.com to play japanese hucards on us systems. When I use it to play Image Fight on my Turbo Express, the game locks up after level 5, but it works fine on my Duo.

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2008, 11:47:38 AM »
On the subject of converters... don't know if this is the best place to mention this, but I had a bad experience with compatibility.

I have a converter that I bought from tzd.com to play japanese hucards on us systems. When I use it to play Image Fight on my Turbo Express, the game locks up after level 5, but it works fine on my Duo.

There was a bit of questioning about the regional converters here before, so it's suitable to share any information about them here (it can benefit me more).

It seems that they weren't meant to be played with on the Turbo Express (but are somewhat workable on it). As long as it works fine for the consoles, it is still quite usable (I only have a TurboGrafx-16, after all). What type of converter was it?

nat

« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2008, 01:04:47 PM »
If it came from TZD within the past 10 years, it's a Mirai.

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
I've beaten Bonk's Adventure tonight 8). I almost had done so yesterday, but King Drool had beaten me hard when I had fought him (I wasn't even sure if he was taking damage when headbutting since it looked to take quite a lot of hits in order to get defeated). An interesting thing about the play session I've attempted to do so was that I was also able to figure out where the upper path for level 3-2 would go (which is essentially a shortcut to 3-5 and a 1-up can be found on this path).

In the end, Princess Za gets her crown back from King Drool who went flying across the screen (I think). Each of the four other bosses return back to Moonland, and Za gives Bonk a kiss that make him to fly way up in the air. The credits are similar to Keith Courage in Alpha Zones, which they only show the cast of characters (which was quite helpful since I wasn't even aware of half of the enemies' names). In the last shot the characters wave and the game resets for the player to start again (the first TurboGrafx-16 game I've seen that has an ending that doesn't require a soft reset in order to play another round).