Author Topic: HOORAY! HOORAY! I've Finally Gotten A TurboGrafx-16 Today!  (Read 3965 times)

Game and Watch Kirby

HOORAY! HOORAY! I've Finally Gotten A TurboGrafx-16 Today!
« on: April 05, 2008, 12:48:18 PM »
Ahh, I'm so glad it finally got here safely... Black Tiger, you are PURE GREATNESS  :mrgreen:.

From opening the package earlier this afternoon (which for the most part contained the essentials, with an NES RFU adapter just like he said, which I was surprised was even able to fit in the system), I checked it out for its condition, cleaned up the system a bit and returned the equipment back into its box. At the time, I didn't think he included any games with the system and were sending them in a separate package :P.

In case you're wondering, Turbo D, Necromancer, and anyone else, yes, the "Turbo" part of the logo is an orange in normal to bright lighting conditions, but it can appear red in darker ones. Sometimes, even, the "Grafx" segment looks like a spring green, yet the "16" circle remains practically the same. Fascinating :-k. It is as if the logo was meant to change colors for the letters in changing light.

I did later find two games in the mess of bags, bubble wrap, and Styrofoam that were thrown in the trash (I BLAME MY FATHER FOR THAT, FOR IF HE HADN'T GOTTEN IN THE WAY, I WOULD'VE LOOKED MORE CAREFULLY FOR THINGS AND KEPT SOME OF THE SUPPORTERS FOR PROTECTION :x), which were Takin' It to the Hoop (alright, I'm not a big fan of sports games, but I'm hoping it's an enjoyable one much like Tennis for the Atari 2600 and Wii Sports) and Keith Courage in Alpha Zones (Yay; I've been wanting to play this game first for the TurboGrafx-16, anyway, since this came with the original system in the US). I'm not really sure if he is bringing any more, since he did say he would send me any games that he had spare copies of (which, surely, is a ton, but no more than about 10 or 15 for me :P).

I'll be trying out tomorrow, at latest, definitely. I want to fully complete Super Mario Galaxy first before doing so, which I am nearing completion on that game.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

nectarsis

Re: HOORAY! HOORAY! I've Finally Gotten A TurboGrafx-16 Today!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 01:06:56 PM »
Congrats on yournew system  :clap: :mrgreen:  May you come to love it as much as the rest of us  :)
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Black Tiger

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 02:07:28 PM »
The other game that I was going to send is JJ & Jeff, which you'd probably appreciate since you're not quick to condemn games. Unfortunately I couldn't find my spare copy and can't part with my original which I bought knew around 1990.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 02:53:53 PM »
That's awesome, congratulations! Black_Tiger also sent my little brother a Vectrex for his birthday (thanks again!)! If I come across any spare American HuCards I have, I'll try to donate them as well.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 06:16:57 PM »
Congrats on yournew system  :clap: :mrgreen:  May you come to love it as much as the rest of us  :)

I definitely believe so, even with the current two titles I have 8).

The other game that I was going to send is JJ & Jeff, which you'd probably appreciate since you're not quick to condemn games. Unfortunately I couldn't find my spare copy and can't part with my original which I bought knew around 1990.

You're quite right about that. I explore the game carefully before giving any sort of judgement to it, and look for positive traits about them (those goes for other things such as people and other devices, as well). I think I would have a liking for J.J. and Jeff since it is a 2-D platformer, which that and 3-D ones are some of my favorite types of games, and seems to be an humorously interesting game. I think the crude humor might throw me off a bit, though, depending on how it's used.

That's awesome, congratulations! Black_Tiger also sent my little brother a Vectrex for his birthday (thanks again!)! If I come across any spare American HuCards I have, I'll try to donate them as well.

I'll always refer to them as "TurboChips", but what I find interesting is that it states "HuCard" in the corner even though it is an American-distributed game :-k. It's as if the word was forgotten to be changed when the cards/chips themselves were made. You'll have to promise me one thing if you do find any, though: Make sure to keep my home address private. I don't any suspicious or untrusted individuals to have knowledge of exactly where I live. That would be very much appreciated.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 07:49:18 PM »
Congratulations on picking up a Turbo.  Have fun with 'er.  :dance:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Turbo D

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 11:23:47 PM »
Congratulations Kirby! Welcome to the family  8) I'm glad you finally saw the amazing TurboGrafx-16 logo in person :).

nodtveidt

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 03:34:32 AM »
I might have a couple of spare games kicking around. PM me if interested.

ceti alpha

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 04:35:33 AM »
Gratz on the TG-16 Kirby!!  :clap:

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

sinfreealex

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 05:34:16 AM »
That's great. I just got back into the Turbo a little over a month ago and I've already got 26 games. I'm having a blast, as I'm sure you will. The only problem is, with so many great games out for it, I have trouble deciding what to get next. :)

esteban

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 01:02:36 PM »
Welcome to the party, Game Watch Kirby!

:)

Sounds like you have a bunch of games coming your way, I'm sure you'll continue to have fun...
  |    | 

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 07:11:20 PM »
Thanks a lot to all of you who've replied. I did have a chance to test out the TurboGrafx-16 today for a couple of hours. In which, I am happy to report that the system itself and its equipment work just fine (although I didn't think it would be set for channel 4 when I first had turned it on; it may have been set this way since it is the broadcast channel for SuperPCEngineGrafx's area). I was also surprised how short the controller wire was for it :shock:. I've never had a console so close to me while as I play it.

The game played was Keith Courage in Alpha Zones. Personally, I had mixed feelings for it, as sometimes I've felt that it was a good game and sometimes I felt that it was saddening experience :?. It was quite a macho experience to just jump into the game (no story or introduction, just straight into the gameplay). I didn't find the controls to be all to bad, as they are claimed to be, but I have noticed the trick that in jumping in midair, in a sudden turn, his fall would end up being neutral instead of the reverse direction like most games usually (it could be useful for stopping in the middle of a jump, but may also pose to be dangerous). There have been plenty of times where I felt there were too many enemies, and I find the Gunhead enemies having some kind of faces with shades on to be the most displeasing :|. At the best least, This game does allow for multiple hits before a heart is lost (very unique, indeed :)) and the player is given unlimited continues with the equipment still possessed (in spite of it having to start at the beginning of the part of the stage for each game over regardless of how far the player has gotten in it). I was very inclined to beat it, and had made it to the 5th stage of the game when I stopped playing. The experience made me sleepy, but I'm willing to attempt to play it again.

I do have a bunch of games in my top priority that I want for my system. If I think of any more I can add them later.

They include:

Air Zonk
Bomberman '93
Magical Chase
Dragon Spirit
Galaga '90
Devil's Crush
Blazing Lazers
Super Star Soldier
Bomberman
Soldier Blade
Aero Blasters
Dragon's Curse
Psychosis
J.J and Jeff
Space Harrier
Spatterhouse
Pac-Land
Victory Run
Turrican
Sinistron
Timeball
Chase H.Q.
Ordyne
Neutopia
Neutopia II

For each game I get from here, they can be removed. This does not include CD-ROM titles since I do not have a way of playing them besides Virtual Console.

I'm not expecting to get any more games for the TurboGrafx-16 at the moment. With all of the games I bought for the Wii, it'll take me a while to get them out of the way first, too.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 04:06:26 AM by Game and Watch Kir »

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 07:24:01 PM »
I think you were almost done with the game at level 5, I'm guessing there are six levels. Also I'm not sure if you are aware of this since it's kind of suddle, but if you keep killing enemies in the Alpha Zones, a heart will appear every now and not only will it refill your life, but also give you one extra heart container for each level.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nodtveidt

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 08:44:03 PM »
There are seven levels total in Keith Courage. :D

sinfreealex

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 03:07:51 AM »
I would add Batttle Royale to that list and a turbotap. That game is a blast to play with friends. It's simple and the graphics are really nice.