Author Topic: HOORAY! HOORAY! I've Finally Gotten A TurboGrafx-16 Today!  (Read 3977 times)

Ninja Spirit

Re: HOORAY! HOORAY! I've Finally Gotten A TurboGrafx-16 Today!
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2008, 06:54:16 AM »
Though you won't have direct access to PC Engine titles you've been seeing on YouTube, congratulations anyway G&WK! It's better than nothing.

That is a pretty good photo you took considering it was a cell phone

BTW this is "Toneman".

Quoted from Esteban
I really dig the BOSS MUSIC in Keith Courage. It really evokes a wonderful atmosphere. The boss battles do NOT live up to this epic song, but at least we can enjoy the music, right?

Hell yeah I'm addicted to that tune as well!

I used to take that and transpose it to death with Audacity and would sound fresh everytime

« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 07:18:21 AM by Ninja Spirit »

Sinistron

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2008, 10:36:23 AM »
haha well kirby if you really enjoyed takin' it to the hoop- then the good news is that there probably isn't a turbografx game you'd find unenjoyable.  The bad news is- you're slightly deranged. 

jk.  :P

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

Black Tiger

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2008, 11:00:27 AM »
haha well kirby if you really enjoyed takin' it to the hoop- then the good news is that there probably isn't a turbografx game you'd find unenjoyable.  The bad news is- you're slightly deranged. 

jk.  :P

I had fun with Takin' it to the Hoop as a rental back in the day. I think its biggest flaw is simply that its a sports game.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2008, 11:38:45 AM »
Takin' It To The Hoop is is not a bad game at all, especially compared to loads of other crappy sports games.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Sinistron

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2008, 12:02:19 PM »
just busting balls guys.  I actually had fun with takin' it to the hoop when I first had it as well-
no fun to be had from it lately though lol.
yes this is true there there are much worse sports games for the turbografx-
and contrary to the popular opinion I find TV Sports Basketball to be much worse with the horrendous court end changes.

Ninja Spirit

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2008, 01:24:38 PM »
Yeah I actually have TV Sports Hockey, Basketball and Football.

I try so hard to forget I have them....by excluding them out of my collection pictures

I swear dude, the controls for the rink fights on TV Sports Hockey felt just like Urban Champion for NES

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2008, 07:02:22 PM »
Today, I've received three more games for the TurboGrafx-16 in the mail. In addition to the copies of Keith Courage in Alpha Zones and Takin' It to the Hoop SuperPCEngineGrafx gave me with the console, he had also bought me three other games from TurboStar (also known as TurboSage and Shubibinman) to, I suspect, enhance my collection. The three games are listed as below, as some comments about them:

Dungeon Explorer - Great! Now I have one of the games I wanted for the system. I actually was thinking that either this title, Blazing Lazers, or Soldier Blade was going to be the one I wanted and was found on just about everyone's top 10 HuCards. The other day, to note, I've seen a copy of this being new over at Amazon.com. There won't any attempts to throw me out of the forums due to the lack of this game much like what happened to TRON :wink: 8). This is the one game mentioned that was complete with the box (and I was expecting it to be much larger, actually).

Ninja Spirit - Hey, alright! I haven't really considered this one much in the past since I wasn't too enticed on learning about it before. Curiously watching , however, I've found that the music sounds pretty incredible, and it looks like it defies the hardware a bit, too. I was thinking that it would be the one bought that would be "one of the best, although it may not be for you", along with Military Madness. I can see this being a very enjoyable title. It comes with the manual.

China Warrior - Eeee :|...This was one of the titles that I was trying to avoid. With so many negative views on it, it only seems to be, at best, a poor-quality tech demo for the PC Engine and TurboGrafx-16. Yet, it does seem to be decent in some respects. I had a feeling this one was coming, and I just hope Black Tiger made a wise decision for getting me this ](*,). The game comes with the case.

I'll be expecting to get to these games soon enough, since I'm focusing, also, on recording videos of Keith Courage in Alpha Zones. I do feel a bit icky about having China Warrior in my collection, but the purchases were much appreciated. Thank you, Black Tiger and TurboSage!
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

ceti alpha

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2008, 02:47:54 AM »
DE and Ninja Spirit are awesome games, though I can't really comment on China Warrior.  :-#

But it's cool to see your Turbo collection growing.  :mrgreen:

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

TR0N

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2008, 06:00:13 PM »
Dungeon Explorer - Great! Now I have one of the games I wanted for the system. I actually was thinking that either this title, Blazing Lazers, or Soldier Blade was going to be the one I wanted and was found on just about everyone's top 10 HuCards. The other day, to note, I've seen a copy of this being new over at Amazon.com. There won't any attempts to throw me out of the forums due to the lack of this game much like what happened to TRON :wink: 8). This is the one game mentioned that was complete with the box (and I was expecting it to be much larger, actually).
Yet in the end i did get a copy of DE1&2 u.s versions of coruse.

Though i'll say buying a U.S DE2 hurt my wallet the most  :P

They,were two games i didn't get around to untile now due to the simple fact.That i collect games for other consoles such as the (neogeo) etc.

I did get tease for it last year and i do remember that thread  ](*,)

So far there not too bad and they are pretty good for gauntlet clones.

Of corse like with,Gauntlet by yourself not so fun but with friends i say a better experince.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 09:42:02 PM by TRON »

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2008, 07:18:36 PM »
Though you won't have direct access to PC Engine titles you've been seeing on YouTube, congratulations anyway G&WK! It's better than nothing.

BTW this is "Toneman".

No need to give an introduction of yourself, Ninja Spirit (currently HypeG, but can change again). I've known that you were Toneman long before I became a member here; you even provide the link to your YouTube channel in your signature. Sure, I won't be able to play the PC Engine titles by real hardware, but at least a good number of them have made it to the US. It doesn't really hurt me too badly if I end up missing them in an amount of years.

Yet in the end i did get a copy of DE1&2 u.s versions of corse.

They,were two games i didn't get around to untile now due to the simple fact.That i collect games for other consoles such as the (neogeo) etc.

Of corse like with,Gauntlet by yourself not so fun but with friends i say a better experince.

That's all very nice and interesting to say, TRON. Thankfully, Dungeon Explorer doesn't seem to have a dwindling health system, which I found really bothersome in The Gauntlet Legends that I've played in the arcade, which made a big quarter-eater :x. It doesn't seem to be the type of game that would be an enhanced experience to play with others to me like, say, the Bomberman series, meaning that it would be just fine to play alone.

I had managed to try out Ninja Spirit today. I can say, though I've never seen the arcade version, it is an excellent port of the original (and seemingly highly accurate to it, too). It was quite enjoyable, yet a hard game to beat. There was a lot of notable slow-down and flicker within several parts of the game, but I'm not sure if it was just my obtained copy since the game froze on me twice before the needing to have the connectors wiped clean.  I've managed to reach Stage 6 -Thunderclouds on PC Engine Mode (quite interesting, too, that it had remained in this name for the TurboGrafx-16 version, but I had a feeling that it was hard to edit) and Stage 1 - "Asura" for Arcade Mode (I didn't play too much from this mode, and it was very hard for me to beat). I've heard this game had won accolades for its hack-and-slash feats, and it certainly does look to live up to those expectations.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

ceti alpha

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2008, 06:31:16 AM »

BTW this is "Toneman".

No need to give an introduction of yourself, Ninja Spirit (currently HypeG, but can change again). I've known that you were Toneman long before I became a member here; you even provide the link to your YouTube channel in your signature. Sure, I won't be able to play the PC Engine titles by real hardware, but at least a good number of them have made it to the US. It doesn't really hurt me too badly if I end up missing them in an amount of years.

Yet in the end i did get a copy of DE1&2 u.s versions of corse.

That's all very nice and interesting to say, TRON. Thankfully, Dungeon Explorer doesn't seem to have a dwindling health system, which I found really bothersome in The Gauntlet Legends that I've played in the arcade, which made a big quarter-eater :x. It doesn't seem to be the type of game that would be an enhanced experience to play with others to me like, say, the Bomberman series, meaning that it would be just fine to play alone.

I had managed to try out Ninja Spirit today. I can say, though I've never seen the arcade version, it is an excellent port of the original (and seemingly highly accurate to it, too). It was quite enjoyable, yet a hard game to beat. There was a lot of notable slow-down and flicker within several parts of the game, but I'm not sure if it was just my obtained copy since the game froze on me twice before the needing to have the connectors wiped clean.  I've managed to reach Stage 6 -Thunderclouds on PC Engine Mode (quite interesting, too, that it had remained in this name for the TurboGrafx-16 version, but I had a feeling that it was hard to edit) and Stage 1 - "Asura" for Arcade Mode (I didn't play too much from this mode, and it was very hard for me to beat). I've heard this game had won accolades for its hack-and-slash feats, and it certainly does look to live up to those expectations.

The flicker is unfortunately not just the case with only your copy of the game. Ninja Spirit, like R-Type, was an early game in the life of the PC Engine/Turbo so there's a lot of flicker and some minor slowdown. At least it only really happens during some of the bosses.

I also know what you mean about Gauntlet being a quarter muncher. DE is a much more dynamic game.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Black Tiger

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2008, 09:12:58 AM »
The flicker is unfortunately not just the case with only your copy of the game. Ninja Spirit, like R-Type, was an early game in the life of the PC Engine/Turbo so there's a lot of flicker and some minor slowdown. At least it only really happens during some of the bosses.

I also know what you mean about Gauntlet being a quarter muncher. DE is a much more dynamic game.

The flicker is also mainly during boss explosions, so it doesn't really impact gameplay at all.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2008, 01:55:28 PM »
China Warrior - Eeee :|...This was one of the titles that I was trying to avoid. With so many negative views on it, it only seems to be, at best, a poor-quality tech demo for the PC Engine and TurboGrafx-16. Yet, it does seem to be decent in some respects. I had a feeling this one was coming, and I just hope Black Tiger made a wise decision for getting me this ](*,). The game comes with the case.

I'll be expecting to get to these games soon enough, since I'm focusing, also, on recording videos of Keith Courage in Alpha Zones. I do feel a bit icky about having China Warrior in my collection, but the purchases were much appreciated. Thank you, Black Tiger and TurboSage!
No! Don't give up on China Warrior just yet!

No, I don't expect you to love the game (yet). First, I think the music is pretty awesome, especially considering that it was one of the earliest HuCards released in Japan. The music gets your adrenaline pumping!

Even if you are not impressed with the music, approach China Warrior as a rhythm game and see if you have more fun with it. Don't use turbo, achieve a zen-like state of rhythm-karate and you're bound to have HOURS of delight. :)

Hey, I know I'm crazy. I'm just trying to generate some love for China Warrior. :)
  |    | 

Sinistron

« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2008, 04:51:13 PM »
I agree Esteban- the game has good rhythm once you lock in-
I never understood why this early release is constantly shit on.  Obviously if we took it solely in terms of "for its time" it is a standout game due to the sprite size- but apart from that- it has a good rhythm, some great colors (that darken as night approaches in the open air levels), appropriate music, some strategy (figuring out the best way to "cheese" the bosses), and if you're in the right mood it's a lot of fun.  It's also a good measuring stick- if you can't beat China Warrior then you lack basic side-scrolling platformer skills and should probably find another genre  :wink:

It obviously isn't a GREAT game- but all the crap it takes is highly uncalled for.

Paisa49

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2008, 04:24:57 AM »
Iand if you're in the right mood it's a lot of fun

I think that's the point. Why do you have to be in the right mood to fully enjoy a game, unless it totally stinks. I have China Warrior, and along with Double Dungeons and Battle Royale, they have to be my least played TG-16 games. The control system to China Warrior is just too stiff.