Author Topic: HOORAY! HOORAY! I've Finally Gotten A TurboGrafx-16 Today!  (Read 3946 times)

Hobo Xiphas

Re: HOORAY! HOORAY! I've Finally Gotten A TurboGrafx-16 Today!
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2008, 06:26:19 PM »
well, there you go, be sure to steal it during the day when everyone is sleeping

anyways, since we are talking about turbo music, I would like to say that I hate Lord of Thunder's soundtrack, I think it is awful

Black Tiger

« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2008, 12:50:22 AM »
well, there you go, be sure to steal it during the day when everyone is sleeping

anyways, since we are talking about turbo music, I would like to say that I hate Lord of Thunder's soundtrack, I think it is awful

How do you feel about heavy metal music in general? So far everyone I've seen comment on the Lords soundtrack either hates it or loves it and those that hate it aren't fans of the style in the first place.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Sinistron

« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2008, 02:20:43 AM »

How do you feel about heavy metal music in general? So far everyone I've seen comment on the Lords soundtrack either hates it or loves it and those that hate it aren't fans of the style in the first place.

I've never been a fan of "metal" but I love the Lords music- not only does it absolutely fit the tone of the game- but to me it's more than "metal"- it sounds funky and prog-rockish in parts- definitely a good thing.

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

Keranu

« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2008, 07:21:38 PM »

I've never been a fan of "metal" but I love the Lords music- not only does it absolutely fit the tone of the game- but to me it's more than "metal"- it sounds funky and prog-rockish in parts- definitely a good thing.
Wow, those are my thoughts exactly. I can certainly understand why some people wouldn't like Lords' soundtrack because they aren't into that genre of music, but I have always said how perfectly it fits the game. Not just because of the theme, but as other posters have pointed out here in the past, the music will actually sync up with the gameplay at times.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Hobo Xiphas

« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2008, 07:38:22 PM »
How does heavy metal fit into Lords, I don't understand?

I don't mind metal, but I'm not a music person.  I just think they went with metal so that they could make the music LOUD for no good reason.  It is pretty distracting and out of place really.

Turbo D

« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2008, 07:49:23 PM »
I think that the awesome soundtrack is part of what makes LoT so bad-ass! I can't really imagine it with any other soundtrack!

Sinistron

« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2008, 02:24:35 AM »
How does heavy metal fit into Lords, I don't understand?

Well again- it sounds pretty prog-rockish to me in parts- so perhaps it fits in the sense that if you look at most classic prog-rock album covers- they're mostly fantasy scenes.  It's more than that though.  The game just flat out f*cking rocks- so why not have some loud, heavy "rock" music behind it?  Anyway, I find the music an enhancement to the game- not a distraction.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2008, 04:31:06 AM »
The game just flat out f*cking rocks- so why not have some loud, heavy "rock" music behind it?  Anyway, I find the music an enhancement to the game- not a distraction.

Agreed.  Considering the fantasy atmosphere, what would theme appropriate music consist of?  Zithers and pan flutes?  No thanks, I'll take metal.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Sinistron

« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2008, 04:34:51 AM »
Considering the fantasy atmosphere, what would theme appropriate music consist of?  Zithers and pan flutes?

HAHAHAHA! Seriously- that would be lame as all get out.  This is a SHOOTER Hobo- and one of the very best. 

ceti alpha

« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2008, 04:36:28 AM »
Considering the fantasy atmosphere, what would theme appropriate music consist of?  Zithers and pan flutes?

HAHAHAHA! Seriously- that would be lame as all get out.  This is a SHOOTER Hobo- and one of the very best. 

lolmax @ "zithers and pan flutes"

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nectarsis

« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2008, 04:37:22 AM »
C'mon Zamphire and his amazing panflute would just enhance LOT ;)
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2008, 05:50:11 PM »
After 3 months from first recieving the game, I've been able to try out China Warrior today (I was busy working on several other games I had to complete, including writing down all the passwords for most of the characters in Dungeon Explorer). I did feel nearly as icky about it as when I first got it from TurboStar, but thankfully, it didn't turn out to be too bad at all. It's nice that the character can move back and forth pretty fluently, and the bonus stages were a neat surprise. I found that this game was pretty difficult and occasionally the controls aren't responsive as they should be (what's worse is that the player is unable to jump or attack briefly after getting hit). Overall, it has an arcade feel to it, and is pretty average. I suppose Black Tiger made a decent choice to purchase this game for me, after all :P.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2008, 04:40:07 PM »
I've done it! Yesterday, I've been able to beat China Warrior at least once, which was a goal I was aiming for in the game. In the time, I was able to figure out a few strategies against some of the tougher bosses (such as constantly moving away from two of the Tough Commandos from attacking, constantly crouch-punching and letting go of the down button on the D-pad in correct timing to fight against the Five-Star Chinese-Style Martial Artists, whom remind me of Lei Wulong from the Tekken series due to their appearance, and constant kicks while moving back and forth to defeat The Drunken Master). For the ending, after the caven crumbles down from beating the final boss, the word "Congratulations!" appears briefly on a black screen, and the main character stands on a cliff in the sunrise or sunset while the credits of the bosses show in the sky with Chinese (suspecably) letters shown as seemingly their name, all accompanied by nice-sounding music. I've tried Act 2 for a little bit, which for this it's nice to see that the character gets more than one set of hits to begin with, and there are more objects being thrown at the player than before. Shortly starting this, I was getting too exhausted to play anymore, and when a fireball traveling at the bottom had hit him in Stage 2-3, it was over. The high scores for each day I've attempted to reach for each day I've tried to finish the task can be seen here (sure, it's on Nintega's board, but I wanted to try the challange that he presented there, too):

https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=5142.0

I have a question about Batman that I would like to address, too: I seem to be running into some conflicting information whether that game was released in the US or not (if it wasn't, though, then how was it that Joe Redifer was able to use the title screen music for his "", assuming that he doesn't have a PC Engine, use of emulation, or a reigion modification; I can understand him using the battle entry theme from Street Fighter II Champion Edition since it's easily obtainable in the Music section of SuperPCEngineGrafx's website, but did he get the piece from him, also?). Was this game ever available in this continent, or was it only released in Japan, as GameFAQs states? I've removed it off my list (as well as added in a few games from before), until perhaps I find out the answer, since I won't be able to play it on the TurboGrafx-16 I have.

Just for the record, I caught a guest viewing this board today when I viewed who was online (which is totally an awesome aspect in my eyes, since it's nice to know that my topics are looked at :dance:). I kinda have always wondered how I look to an outside individual on the Internet. I wonder what the person was seeking in this board, and if it was satisfying (not to be self-conscious, but I can't help but ponder at the idea).
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx.com

Joe Redifer

« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2008, 06:24:48 PM »
Batman was never released in the US.  However all of the chip music in that video was recorded directly from my TurboGrafx-16.  I have a small purple thing that plugs into the card slot and then I plug PC Engine games into the purple thing.  Suddenly the PC Engine games work on the Turbo just like magic!  When I bought the Arcade Card Pro, it did not work at first with my purple thing.  I cut a single trace on the purple thing's board and now all PC Engine cards without exception work perfectly.

Game and Watch Kirby

« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2008, 05:55:30 AM »
Batman was never released in the US.  However all of the chip music in that video was recorded directly from my TurboGrafx-16.  I have a small purple thing that plugs into the card slot and then I plug PC Engine games into the purple thing.  Suddenly the PC Engine games work on the Turbo just like magic!  When I bought the Arcade Card Pro, it did not work at first with my purple thing.  I cut a single trace on the purple thing's board and now all PC Engine cards without exception work perfectly.

"Small purple thing :shock:?" What is this "small purple thing" that you speak of? Is it some sort of region switcher? It sounds very interesting (maybe I can have one of those :shock:). Can I see what it looks like, at least? Thank you for letting me know on the release of Batman in the United States, too, Joe Redifer :).