Author Topic: Grafx to Duo controller adapter?  (Read 560 times)

Jitawa

Grafx to Duo controller adapter?
« on: April 05, 2008, 03:28:29 PM »
I've only found one site online that even mentions it, and that was on an out of date price list.  I know it exists, but I have no idea where to find it. 

I have a duo and a turbografx, but I only have one duo controller (but I have the duo tap oddly enough).  My other controller peripherals are all grafx, extension cord, a couple controllers, and a turbostick.  Ideally I'd be using everything with the Duo which takes up less space and runs the most games.  I'd be willing to just say screw it and buy the original turbotap, but I'd still need some way to connect it to the duo.

Meh

SignOfZeta

Re: Grafx to Duo controller adapter?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 03:42:13 PM »
These adaptors were hard to find even back in the day. They were bascially a computer part, not a game system part, and it was pretty uncommon to need one for anything other than your situation. In fact, I'm not sure what they were originally for. MIDI to ADB, possibly? I don't think that would even work...

The cables are easily swappable in NEC systems though. Just take your Duo controller apart and unplug its cable. Then install that cable into a Turbo Tap and you'll be able to use all your Turbo controllers on the Duo.

I have no idea what a Turbo Tap costs, but they are probably cheaper than one of these adaptors, and certainly cheaper than five of them.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 07:06:12 PM »
These adaptors were hard to find even back in the day. They were bascially a computer part, not a game system part, and it was pretty uncommon to need one for anything other than your situation. In fact, I'm not sure what they were originally for. MIDI to ADB, possibly? I don't think that would even work...

If I could buy one at Babbage's in the Midwest, then they couldn't have been too rare.  They were an official part (HES-DIN-01) distributed by NEC, not a will fit computer part, and were originally for using TG-16 pads on a Duo.  It even said so on the box. 

The cables are easily swappable in NEC systems though. Just take your Duo controller apart and unplug its cable. Then install that cable into a Turbo Tap and you'll be able to use all your Turbo controllers on the Duo.

I have no idea what a Turbo Tap costs, but they are probably cheaper than one of these adaptors, and certainly cheaper than five of them.

All true, though a few early controllers used different plugs on the pcb.  If you ask nat nicely, he might talk you through modifying a turbo tap to work on your Duo, or maybe even sell you one pre-modded.  Another tap would be cheaper than finding one of the original adaptors, or you could buy the parts to build your own.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Jitawa

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 08:27:24 PM »

If I could buy one at Babbage's in the Midwest, then they couldn't have been too rare.  They were an official part (HES-DIN-01) distributed by NEC, not a will fit computer part, and were originally for using TG-16 pads on a Duo.  It even said so on the box. 

All true, though a few early controllers used different plugs on the pcb.  If you ask nat nicely, he might talk you through modifying a turbo tap to work on your Duo, or maybe even sell you one pre-modded.  Another tap would be cheaper than finding one of the original adaptors, or you could buy the parts to build your own.

I'm planning on shipping him my Duo already.  Maybe I can throw a turbotap, a duo pad, a ballpoint pen, a tampon, and some cheetos in there with it and tell him to go MacGyver on it.

Turbo D

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 11:26:19 PM »
I bought one of these at a local hole in the wall game store last month for $4.00, the dude didn't think anything of it. I had been looking for one for a looong time; they always sell on ebay for $20 and up. The reason I wanted it so bad was to play the duo with the og turbostick. I don't know why nec didn't make a duo stick  [-(. Below is a pic of my cable ( why does it come with instructions? lol.)

MurderDate

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 01:11:49 AM »
I have one of these adapters - I was actually going to start a thread with some misc. stuff I want to trade.  It will be included in there.
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

SignOfZeta

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 05:17:39 AM »
Wow, I've never even seen the official product before.

Black Tiger

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 12:48:44 PM »
I bought the official one when it first came out. When I got my Duo, I already had a Turbo-CD combo with a tap and at least 3 pads and a Turbostick.

Before I got the official Duo cable, I used a Turbopad + Turbo Cable + Duo adaptor.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Jitawa

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 09:21:44 PM »
I bought one of these at a local hole in the wall game store last month for $4.00, the dude didn't think anything of it. I had been looking for one for a looong time; they always sell on ebay for $20 and up. The reason I wanted it so bad was to play the duo with the og turbostick. I don't know why nec didn't make a duo stick  [-(. Below is a pic of my cable ( why does it come with instructions? lol.)

Sweet Zombie Jesus, I didn't think I'd ever actually SEE one of those things!

Jitawa

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 12:41:32 AM »
Found one on Ebay, but it's part of an auction I can pretty much guarantee I won't be winning.

Check it out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-NEC-Turbo-Duo-system-Duo-Tap-5-Duo-Pads-PLUS-Games_W0QQitemZ380014209539QQihZ025QQcategoryZ62054QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

New DUO in the box, with a boxed tap, four boxed duo controllers, and a boxed adapter.  That seems totally improbable, but they have pictures.... who would have this sort of stuff just lying around sealed sixteen years after it was made?

MurderDate

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 01:17:31 AM »
wow, that's a great auction, and yes,  it will probably go for a mint. people just LOVE those Duos fresh out of the box.  if it doesn't there is no justice in the world.  (too risky for me - I'll stick to my TGCD and system cards!)
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

Turbo D

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 10:40:34 AM »
 =P~ @ that auction. Too bad I cannot afford what it will go for, lol.

Mobius

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 10:45:33 AM »
Oof, do not tempt me with these auctions... I'm supposed to be holding off on any game buying this month.

I'll just add it to my watch list. :oops:

SignOfZeta

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 05:10:26 PM »
I think buying a "new" US Duo at this point is pretty nuts given the capacitor issues.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 06:21:53 PM »
I think buying a "new" US Duo at this point is pretty nuts given the capacitor issues.

No more nuts than buying a used one, as it may have the same issue in addition to thousands of hours of use and/or abuse.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles