Author Topic: Cool, cool and more cool. Dracula X vinyl  (Read 851 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: Cool, cool and more cool. Dracula X vinyl
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 02:28:36 PM »
Wait...what?

offsidewing

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 05:53:04 PM »

Keranu

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 06:00:30 PM »
That is 85% frickin' awesome right there, if not more! I remember years ago on the FamiConsumer forum, someone posted a Salamander Vinyl I think.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 06:08:55 PM »
I have the cd, is pretty much stuff from Symphony of the Night/Noturne in the Moonlight.  I don't like techno, but most of the songs I thought were ok, but one of them(I forget which one) is a bunch of nothing & goes on for about 12 minutes....of just a beat.....& maybe a noise every so often ](*,)

Joe Redifer

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 07:33:32 PM »
That's trance for ya.  It'd be cheaper and easier to pound a hammer to a metronome for ten hours.  You'd get the same amount of musical creativity out of it.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 11:51:15 PM »
OK, grandpa.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 11:46:47 AM »
Prove me wrong, whippersnapper.

Sinistron

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 11:55:09 AM »
Trance is total garbage.  You don't have to be a grandpa to see that.  The very idea alone is corny.  "Trance".  It is devoid of rhythm, and like joe said devoid of creativity.  It is for thumb-sucking goobers wishing they could climb back into a womb.

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

SignOfZeta

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 03:45:34 PM »
Trance is total garbage.  You don't have to be a grandpa to see that.  The very idea alone is corny.  "Trance".  It is devoid of rhythm, and like joe said devoid of creativity.  It is for thumb-sucking goobers wishing they could climb back into a womb.

How it it be devoid of rhythm if it comes from a computer? I can see saying its devoid of soul or whatever, but the rhythm is mathematically perfect to the milisecond, even if soulless.

From my experience the more people are likely to diss an entire genre of music (one that they probably can't even define) the less they really know about music as a whole and the more narrow their tastes tend to be. Usually these people are into Nu Rock or possibly worse, country. This is of course a generalization, but then that Pandora's box seems to have been opened here already. When my crazy uncle told me for the hundredth time that rap music was just noise, the sentiment wasn't coming from his massive exposure to all kinds of music, his time in the philharmonic, his masters in music, or anything like that because in reality he's just a guy with a passing interest in music as a whole that hasn't bought a single recording of anything since 1968.

Anyway, the track I listened to was a sort of house kit-bash. Japan didn't really discover trance proper until a year or two later. Also, it isn't very good so this record is only for collectors.

Sinistron

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 03:57:11 PM »
Trance is not a genre- it is a sub-genre of electronica- which I didn't dismiss as a whole.  Drum n' Bass is more up my ally- along with down tempo and trip-hop. 
As for rhythm my man- if you get all your rhythm out of a computer than you certainly can't dance- much less play the wall sipping a sex on the beach without looking gooberish.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 04:40:02 PM »
Trance is not a genre- it is a sub-genre of electronica- which I didn't dismiss as a whole. 

Yeah, this is kind of what I'm talking about. "Electronica" is a stupid word invented by Spin magazine or MTV or some other jack-ass corporate racket that exists completely outside the scene that it attempts to describe. Its used to lump everything electronic into one easily marketed pile. Its almost totally an American thing too. Its exactly the opposite of a master genre since it was created post-facto. Its dismissive, if anything. I'm not saying that trance isn't necessarily a sub-genre, it kind of is, I'm just saying that it didn't really spin off from anything called "electronica". Trance dates back to about 1988 or so, and has its origins in acid house and new age/space music, but today its defined in such broad terms and range of quality that its hard to pin down. In fact, my little history blurb there is highly debatable. The underground nature of dance music makes it very difficult to document.

Drum n' Bass is more up my ally- along with down tempo and trip-hop. 

Um...but D&B comes from the same computer as trance. You aren't making any sense.

As for rhythm my man- if you get all your rhythm out of a computer...

Virtually all electronic music is synchronized with a MIDI clock or something like it going all the way back to Kraftwerk. The music gets it from a computer, not me.

than you certainly can't dance- much less play the wall sipping a sex on the beach without looking gooberish.

Yeah, I...just don't know what to say in response to something such an awesome statement.

I do have a LINK though.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 05:08:27 PM by SignOfZeta »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 04:47:51 PM »
Prove me wrong, whippersnapper.

It just occurred to me that you might actually be serious. Should I upload a couple of tracks for you?

Sinistron

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 05:36:49 PM »
There's not much for me to say here- you kind of do it all for me.

I'm not saying that trance isn't necessarily a sub-genre, it kind of is

In fact, my little history blurb there is highly debatable. The underground nature of dance music makes it very difficult to document.

Thanks Zeke.  You make it easy for me.  I'm kind of tired anyway.

Other than that- Drum n' Bass has better rhythms than Trance- precisely why I like it.  It is computer generated breakbeats- based on hip-hop rhythms that didn't originate from computer drums- what wasn't loops from real records were made on early drum machines- computerized to a degree but tapped out hands on and with feeling- not by looking at a quantize frame in front of you and mathematically adding hits in and subtracting hits out.  Yeah Drum n' Bass, Trip Hop- Down Tempo- the stuff I like- all based on those old hands on break beat rhythms- just either slowed down or sped up.  Trance on the other hand has no real pull, no gravity.  Just weak frozen emotional swells and boring valleys that go nowhere significant while weak unrhythmic drums brace it loosely.  I could barely get it on to trance music- it's mostly for freaks peaked out on drugs or for people who actually think its good music. 

I'm actually rather surprised here Zeke to be honest.  I know you listen to some good stuff- Saul Williams and what not- though some of the tracks produced by Rick Rubin are a little overproduced.  You should know better than to be pulled into the fake glow of something as insubstantial as Trance.

Yeah, I...just don't know what to say in response to something such an awesome statement.

Maybe your response should have been "Hey I'm so out of touch with humor that I don't get the joke."
That would have worked fine.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 05:58:07 PM by Sinistron »

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2008, 06:15:02 PM »
Yea,I was never impressed with the trance scene. Typically mindless music that you have to be sedated to tolerate or to be fooled into enjoying,the whole while enjoying glow sticks and what ever other lite brite garbage you can slap all over your body to look like Dynamo from the Running Man while being blinded by the multi colored light show from the stage/DJ areas. Just rubbish. More useless then a dedicated Stryper crowd ,as uncool as that teenage girl you knew that huffed on air freshener cans in high school,and just as dull to my ears as a sunday sermon.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 06:19:34 PM by Michael Helgeson »

Joe Redifer

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2008, 10:01:23 PM »
Quote from: SignOfZeta

It just occurred to me that you might actually be serious. Should I upload a couple of tracks for you?

Sure, if you like.  There is some trance I like.  Yuzo Koshiro's Wangan Midnight 2 probably falls into the trance category.  Not really good to sit around listening to on it's own, but great for racing games!  I always considered trance to be in the "techno" genre.  I've rarely heard it called "electronica".