Author Topic: Another possible TGCD fix for wont spin wont load but laser returns  (Read 447 times)

Game-Tech.US

I had several of these that didn't work and with all the discussion of the broken gear I was anxious to investigate. I came up with one of 8 with a bad gear! I managed to bring 4 back to life just by removing that gear and lubing it up with some wd-40, i'm not kidding! Anyway I had a couple of them acted funny and I couldn't get them to spin but they were making noise so I moved the laser out halfway and restarted the machine. Upon opening the lid right away I could verify the laser sled was returning to center, but it was clicking and wouldn't quit moving toward center so i took apart the limit switch, cleaned it, put it all back together and walla, working cd unit! That was a fun day!!!
First pic is where the switch is located inside the tgcd cd player. I can also provide some pics for those who want to know how to open it, its really easy...
Second pic is of the limit switch taken apart, sorry about the bad quality, I was too close. There is a tiny spring in there so be very very careful! Once apart its fairly obvious what surfaces need to be cleaned, two flats inside the switch and the wipers.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Another possible TGCD fix for wont spin wont load but laser returns
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 11:19:49 AM »
Congrats on bringing a few drives back to life, and thanks for sharing, but please use a proper lubricant on those gears.  WD-40 is not a lubricant, though it works well for cleaning off existing, dried out grease.

*edit* - Actually, about 15% of it is a lubricant, but as a whole it acts more as a desiccant.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 11:24:16 AM by Necromancer »
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Game-Tech.US

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 11:33:58 AM »
To be honest, I dont have any proper lube... What is recommended?

nodtveidt

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 12:17:56 PM »
WD-40 works well as a temporary lubricant but if you want something more permanent, you need some of that fun white grease stuff. I can't really recommend any particular brand because I'm not too familiar with any brands.

Game-Tech.US

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 12:25:22 PM »
What is the generic name? Lithium grease?

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 01:15:35 PM »
Lithium grease is what you will need. WD 40 can emit fumes after exposed to long term heat that isn't good for the laser,ect. and will cause damage.
You can pick up a long tube of Supertech General Purpose Lithium Grease at Wal-Mart in the auto area. This is what I use,have been using for years. It holds up better then the white stuff used originally. Just make sure to remove the white left over grease first and just rub in a light coat and you're set..

Game-Tech.US

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 01:40:52 PM »
Lithium grease is what you will need. WD 40 can emit fumes after exposed to long term heat that isn't good for the laser,ect. and will cause damage.
You can pick up a long tube of Supertech General Purpose Lithium Grease at Wal-Mart in the auto area. This is what I use,have been using for years. It holds up better then the white stuff used originally. Just make sure to remove the white left over grease first and just rub in a light coat and you're set..
Do you agree the wd-40 will remove the other crap effectively?

SignOfZeta

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 01:53:26 PM »
From what I've seen WD40 is a good half-assed solution to a million applications but it doesn't seem to be the best chemical for anything whatsoever. There is always something better that WD40.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 02:38:12 PM »
Do you agree the wd-40 will remove the other crap effectively?

It can do the job,but then you'll have to turn around and struggle with removing the WD 40 too. Its better to get a fine brush set for cleaning small parts,and use alcohol.

Game-Tech.US

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 03:09:35 PM »
Alcohol and lithium, check.
I think i'll take it one step further and take apart all my working systems and give them the same treatment before I sell them...
thanks to all

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 04:07:11 PM »
No prob. If you need any further info,just ask :)