Author Topic: LED mod on Duo R  (Read 1545 times)

MasonSushi

Re: LED mod on Duo R
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 12:14:45 PM »

I just finished my Power switch Led mod. I re-used the red bulb that was originally for the CD drive light. I may change the color later. The CD drive bulb is now purple. The purple and red together look pretty cool. I will post a tutorial on the power switch led if anyone is interested.

can you show us where you pulled the power from on the board?  Maybe take a close up pic??

BlueBMW

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 01:08:30 PM »
I would also like to know how to do the multicolor led mod for US/japanese games.

If you do an IC mod switch, you just use a DPDT switch instead of a SPDT.  On the second switch circuit, run 5V to the center pole, and run each switch pole to a different LED (with appropriate resistors)  That way when the switch is one direction, one LED illuminates, and the other way the other LED illuminates.  Really pretty simple honestly :P  I may do this to my Duo-R when I finally region mod it.
[Sun 23:29] <Tatsujin> we have hard off, book off, house off, sports off, baby off, clothes off, jerk off, piss off etc

Platinumfungi

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2011, 05:48:36 AM »
Keith Courage - Nice work on that LED mod! Very stock looking  :D As per the region LED mod question, BlueBMW said it word for word -  that's the exact same method that I came up with awhile back for region modding mine. Works like a champ  8)

Just FYI, I'm not around the forums nearly as much as I used to be, but if any of you guys need anything just PM me and I'll reply  :mrgreen:

Keith Courage

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2011, 10:09:27 PM »
Okay, here are a couple pics of what it looks like inside my duo-r with the power led switch setup. The ground wire is just soldered to the power switch which holds it in place nicely. Then run the positive to the point on the board circled in red. What I did to the switch so you could see the light was drill out the area needed and then fill in with some clear drying epoxy. You could just leave it with a hole in it but I think it looks much better with the epoxy so you can't just see strait into the system. The epoxy looks yellow-ish in my pic but it is pretty clear in person. I used Devcon 5 minute drying epoxy. To get the epoxy to dry without dripping out of the switch you cover the back of the switch with some tape and lay the switch on its back. Then after about 8-10 minutes of drying you remove the tape slowly. Don't leave the tape on too long or it will stay stuck to the epoxy. Then let the epoxy dry until it no longer feels tacky before putting back in your duo-r.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:19:26 AM by Keith Courage »

MasonSushi

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 12:42:55 PM »
Thanks for the pics Keith. I might drill out a small hole so the light can shine through.

When you mounted the LED, is the tip facing down, into some hot glue? Thats kinda what i am getting from the pic.

Keith Courage

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
The light is just facing down. No glue needed. The solder holding the light bulb to the power switch is very solid.

Duo_R

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2011, 03:59:46 AM »
A suggestion, if cutting a hole for a light try using some clear plastic instead of using glue or leaving a hole:

Add my YouTube channel:

For sale trade list: http://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq

Keith Courage

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2011, 05:43:24 AM »
Yeah I was thinking about using plastic on mine but then I thought about how hard it would be to find some plastic and how hard it would be to cut it the correct shape. The epoxy I used looks really good in person and it just as hard as plastic. So I suppose if you have the patience for putting plastic in there instead then by all means go for it. I assume it would look very good.

Duo_R

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2011, 09:28:54 AM »
I like your idea though i might try that with plastic. I actually just used a jewel case with mine, not hard.
Add my YouTube channel:

Duo_R

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2011, 09:29:34 AM »
What is the Voltage from the spot you tapped?
Add my YouTube channel:

PunkicCyborg

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2011, 11:39:12 AM »
This came in handy for me when I added some LEDs recently. This simple calculator tells you the correct resistor to use for an LED when you are tapping voltage from somewhere or changing colors. You just put in the values of the LED and the voltage you are tapping from. It even shows you a picture of the color bands so picking one out of a assorted pack of resistors is easy.
http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz
(19:28:25) GE0: superdead told me in whisper that his favorite game is mario paint

unclebugspayton

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 06:42:56 AM »
Excellent Job!  I wonder what it would look like on the US duo?

GameFreak

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2011, 12:59:42 AM »
 8) Wow you guys have made your systems look really nice. I like em.  :clap:

I like the idea of using clear plastic on the lights hole. The big-box-craft stores have all different colors of transparent film paper for fairly cheap (also silkscreen stencil plastic comes in variety of colors). That way you could put a WHITE light bulb in there and try different color film paper such as purple or red or blue or.... And you could also change the brightness by stacking 2 or 3 layers of the film paper until you got your desired brightness. Also if you ever got bored with the color you wouldn't have to order different color bulbs and install a new bulb but just swap the colored window. Just a thought!

I would like to change the green light on the briefcase when I get one set up. I'm leaning toward the color blue.

Duo_R

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2011, 08:29:48 PM »
There are several ways to do it. For orange i actually took a white LED and dipped it in Tamiya transparent acrylic paint. It shined a nice orange through the clear plastic that i installed.
Add my YouTube channel:

MasonSushi

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2011, 01:39:59 AM »
i just re-did the LED mod i had done changing it from a round blue LED to a wide angle purple LED. I also removed the black liner inside the clear shell, that way the whole thing fills up purple.

I did the power LED in red by drilling a hole where Keith put his. I installed it the same way but didn't fill the hole with epoxy.