Author Topic: Genesis Game Genie Issues  (Read 351 times)

RuthlessT138

Genesis Game Genie Issues
« on: May 08, 2008, 11:32:06 AM »
I recently purchased a used "High Definition Graphics" model 1 Genesis and a Game Genie.  The problem is, I can't get the Game Genie to work.  I can get the code screen to pop up just fine, but once I put in the code(s) and press start, the game loads up, but the codes don't work.  If I reset the game, it takes me back to the code screen, with the codes still intact, but modified (several letters and numbers changed).  [Edit: If I put codes into any other line besides the first one they don't show up at all when I reset.]  The only games I've been able to try this with so far are Mortal Kombat and Altered Beast, as the only other Genesis game I have at the moment is the 6-Pak, and I don't know of any codes for that one.  I recently ran into the same problem when I tried to use a SNES Game Genie with a model 2 SNES (or baby SNES as I like to call it) and figured out that the model 2 SNES must have some kind of lockout chip that keeps the Genie from working.  Would this be the case with the model 1 Genny?  If so, is there some kind of mod that would fix this?  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 09:48:39 AM by RuthlessT138 »

Zeon

Re: Genesis Game Genie Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:42:27 AM »
I believe you need to flip the switch on the game genie itself to activate the codes. I had forgotten about this as well when i tried to use my snes game genie. I was like "why are the codes not activating?" and then it hit me, flip the switch!

RuthlessT138

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:45:10 AM »
I believe you need to flip the switch on the game genie itself to activate the codes. I had forgotten about this as well when i tried to use my snes game genie. I was like "why are the codes not activating?" and then it hit me, flip the switch!

I forgot to mention I tried that already too.  The switch was in the proper position with the little green light on and everything.  I'm also using the Genie with the black label if that helps.

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 01:04:31 AM »
You Game Genie may be no good. I've only used mine on a HDG Genesis to play MWIV, but it worked fine.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

RuthlessT138

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 09:50:50 AM »
You Game Genie may be no good. I've only used mine on a HDG Genesis to play MWIV, but it worked fine.

That's what I'm starting to think.  I'm going to try getting another one with the gold label and see what happens.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 12:07:16 PM »
The gold and black labels make no difference.  They are the same thing otherwise.

RuthlessT138

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 02:50:32 PM »
The gold and black labels make no difference.  They are the same thing otherwise.

Hmmm....it's sounding more and more to me like I've just got a dud Genie.  I hope so, because I'd really like to keep my new Genny.  I'll find out more once I can get my hands on another GG.  Thanks for the input.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 02:56:22 PM by RuthlessT138 »

SuperDeadite

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 03:20:48 PM »
I don't have one here to open up, but maybe the switch itself is broken?  Like maybe a bad solder point or broken trace?  So the light still comes on when the switch is flicked, but the codes don't actually reach the game?  These are all just guesses, but I can't imagine it would be difficult to check, there can't be too much inside those carts.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

RuthlessT138

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 03:07:15 PM »
Just got another one today, and it worked just fine.  The other one must have just been a dud, and unfortunately I don't have the technical know-how to crack it open and try to fix it myself (I haven't touched a soldering iron since I was in 9th grade...that was about 12 years ago).  I did however get store credit from the local used game store I bought it from after explaining what happened, so no big loss (I used it to buy a copy of SuperBad!).  Thanks a lot to everyone for their help and input.