Author Topic: Thinking of starting up taking on Duo/Turbo Express/TG-16 mods and repairs.  (Read 490 times)

Zeon

Hey everyone, school is now out for the summer, and I am seriously entertaining taking on TG-16/PCE mods and repairs.

I have been doing mods and repairs on my own systems almost non-stop during the past 6 months: Neo-Geo Aes, Atari 7800, Colecovision, Atari Lynx, Turbo Duo, TG-16, and various other projects such as a snes eprom cart. Here's what I can do:

Turbo-Grafx-16(or any other regions counterparts): AV mod, and optionally rgb out, haven't tried an s-video mod yet, but it is not beyond my capabilities, US/JPN region switch.
Turbo Duo(or any other regions counterparts): Sound caps replacement, Laser eye replacement, RGB and s-video mods, US/JPN region switch
Turbo Express(or any other regions counterparts): Sound and video caps fix.

I can do a plethora of other repairs/mods for countless other systems. If you have something in mind let me know and I'll see if it's doable. I can also make eprom carts for various systems, build a supergun, you name it I can likely do it. I won't attempt projects beyond my capabilities or don't have the tools for, but I am willing to experiment and learn new things so even if I haven't done what you are asking, it doesn't mean I am not willing to try and learn.

Here's the catch though, I don't have any references as to my work to provide, you would just have to take my word that I do good work and won't take your stuff and run. Also I will need to find good sources for parts before I attempt any project, either I will locate them myself or you can point me out to some good resources. Fee's would cover shipping, cost of materials + a reasonable labor fee. I'm not looking to get rich, but at the same time, I do need money.

If anyone is interested in giving a new guy a chance let me know. I don't plan on disappointing.

Michael Helgeson

we've been down this road before in a different thread lol,but kool. Just get some references  and you'd be set. Got any pics of current work? That helps too.

GohanX

Well, it's always great to have another modder on the forum.  There are a few guys doing it now, but since everyone has real lives the work load can be a bit much, and not everyone does the same mods.  I've done a few mods on other systems, but to be honest I'm afraid to touch the expensive and hard to replace Duo.

I'm getting a new Duo coming in soon, after I give it a good test and get over the "new toy" phase it's going to be needing a mod.  What is your method for doing the RGB mod?  I may be interested in getting that done and having a region switch put on it.

Zeon

I basically tap the rgb, sync lines, and ground straight from the huc6260, put each line through an amp each, and route them outside the case via a few different methods, depending on what is preferred.

Method 1: Use an 8-pin din to maintain backward's compatibility with the Duo's 5-pin din, replacing the 5-pin din with it. I would have to install a small switch to change one pin from composite video to sync. This way you can still use the duo's original av cables AND a rgb cable of which I would make with this option. Advantages: Less intrusive only one hole needs to be drilled for the switch, Disadvantages: You need custom RGB cables for this to work, and it's kind of annoying to have to use a switch. Also if you don't plan on using composite video (doubtful) you can forgo the switch.

Method 2: Install 4 rca jacks into the back, one for Red, Green, Blue, and Sync each. I can at your option install 2 more jacks for audio left and right, or you could tap them from the existing 5-pin din. Advantages:You can use standard rca cables. Disadvantages: way more intrusive, and doesn't look as good IMO.

Keep in mind for RGB to be useful to you you'll need either a TV or arcade monitor that is capable of taking RGB in straight without conversions, or get an encoder that will work with. I have had no luck with Jrok encoders though others have. So please know what you are getting into with rgb.

GohanX

put each line through an amp each

Ding ding, we have a winner!  I was actually checking to see if you did it the ghetto way (just rigging the RGB lines) or if you put an amp in there.

I use an RGB scart-component transcoder for all my old systems, so I've got that covered.  We can talk more about how to actually do the mod when the time comes.  I was actually thinking of doing it two ways, if possible:

Using the larger DIN plug and wiring it like a Neo Geo/Genesis 1, and I could use the Neo Geo SCART cable with it.  The problem is that neither of those cables are wired for stereo sound, and the Duo R doesn't have a headphone jack, so we'd need to put some stereo RCA jacks on the back of the system.  We could probably solve the composite problem by putting a composite jack on the back of it too.

Second way, put a mini DIN back there, wired like a Genesis 2.  That provides for RGB, stereo, and composite, but I would imagine it would be a PITA to wire all that up to the mini connector.

Does that sound doable?  I've got scart cables for all the other systems, but I figured reusing a Genesis cable would be easier than doing a custom job, since they use standard connectors.

Zeon

Yes I think I can manage soldering up the connections to the mini din that the genesis 2 uses. I've got a pretty fine tipped soldering iron, but we'll see. If not, then the bigger din should not be a problem at all.

I wouldn't do it any other way, the part about the amps that is. Sure it may work in some cases without amps, but you will likely get very crummy colors and brightness. I just need to find the best amp, there was one linked to from nfgames forums that was excellent from what I have heard. At least it is far superior than the 2SC1815 transistor amp, but requires a lot more transistors and caps. I just need to find it again. I have an arcade monitor myself so that's what I will be using for testing. Oh and I only do things the ghetto way the first time I try something new on my stuff, just to check if it works. After that I go all out on quality, assuming is doesn't raise costs significantly.

I'm still up at my apartment though, will be heading back home next week where all my tools are at. I'll also need to order the parts so no rush.

GohanX

It would likely be a few weeks before I would send it off to you anyway.  I won't even have the system in my hands until next week, probably. No rush.  I'm just happy to find someone who will do RGB in the US.