Author Topic: Hello :-)  (Read 473 times)

Tom Phobos

Hello :-)
« on: May 09, 2008, 01:45:40 AM »
Hi,

some of you know me already from the shoutbox, so i thought it's time to introduce myself :)

My name is Thomas, i am 38 years old and from germany (so please apologize that my English isn't perfect ;) ).
My gaming-fever began when my family visited my uncle. OK, normally the visits were boring ;) . But this time he had a little nice machine under his TV. "That's tennis" he said. Oooookkkk, tennis ... before this time i thought tennis is a game for 2 people with rackets in their hands and balls in the air, but not a strange looking machine under a TV. "Here, i will show you how to play it". And so, with a paddle in my hand and a smile on my face my gaming fever began ;)

In the next years i also got a pong-clone, my friends got ataris, colecos and all the stuff that made the 80s a great age. Then the homecomputers came, the "old-next-gen"-Consoles, the "new-next-gen"-consoles up to the "newest-next-gen"-consoles like the PS3 and xbox360. Every time a new console came out soon or later i bought one and had fun with it. But i also hadn't the heart to sell other consoles. Also there were always people who gave away their old consoles, as a gift or for a small amount, and there were also the fleamarkets in the town. So i actually own about 75-80 consoles (depending on the term "what is a console" ... is a barcode-battler a console or a toy ?). So you can call me a collector, but not in the "usual term". I buy games and consoles to play with them, not to have it complete and sealed in a showcase. I like to invite people to play games with them, also to see that they also fascinated by old machines or don't even knew this consoles. So i am more a gamer than a collector :)

Maybe actually you think "You are in a Turbo/PCE-Forum, so what about this consoles ?" OK, you're right ;)

When people told me "oh, so much consoles" i always said "yes, but one line is missing ... the pc-engines". I was always fascinated by this machine, but never got one. Also it had no officially release in germany (even not the PAL-TurboGrafx), so also no one gave away this machine. So instead i bought a sega megadrive (or, in the u.s., a sega genesis) and had (and actually have) a lot of fun with it. But the pc-engine was always in my mind.

Then, at the 1st of march, my girlfriend and me visited a retro fair. And their i saw it ... the pc-engine, complete with IFU30 and CDROM2. I began to sweat, walked around, saw it again, walked around again, but finally the desire for this machine won ... and with a smile on my face and an empty wallet i left the retro fair. This was the beginning of a great love story in my console history ;)

Soon after i bought the pce i found this forum. Here i got many tips around the pce and the games. Also i read that one gear in the cdrom2 easily breaks and for gaming it's better to buy a duo. So i bought a duo-r. Also (thanks to ebay) i also got a second pce (with many scratches) and my "all-time-dream-handheld", the GT. Also i placed a "lucky bid" on a pc-fx and, hey, i won this auction :) So the only thing i actually miss is a machine that also plays the US-HU-cards. But hmmm, let's look, hmm, there is eBay ...hmmm ... ;)

But why the PCE ? What is so special about this machine ?
For me, first it's the size and the design of the machines. They look so good and i also like the small size of the original pc-engine. And then the software. I like shooters and the pc-e is the ultimate machine for shooters. But most of them i like the style of the pc-e games. The colors, the look of them ... hard to describe, but i absolutely like how this games look.

OK, once again apologize my English ;) Anyway I hope you understand what i wanted to say ;)

Greetings from Germany
Tom

MurderDate

Re: Hello :-)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 02:48:32 AM »
excellent, awesome.  welcome aboard.  It's great to hear from an NEC fan in Europe.
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 03:30:39 AM »
Willkommen!  Welcome to the funny farm.  :)
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Joe Redifer

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 04:00:06 AM »
Welcome!

nat

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 04:45:57 AM »
Welcome dude.

Your English is not bad at all-- you ought to drive down the road and give Cephalgy a lesson or two.

guyjin

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 05:07:51 AM »
Greetings and Salutations!

You aren't the only German speaker on the board. Tatsujin also sprekens the doich, but he's swiss.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

ceti alpha

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 05:22:29 AM »
Welcome dude.

Your English is not bad at all-- you ought to drive down the road and give Cephalgy a lesson or two.

haha nat. But yeah, awesome story and your English is really quite good. Far better than my German.  8-[

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

nectarsis

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 05:35:51 AM »
Welcome.  I have talked to Tom in shout a number of times...a cool person ;)
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Sparky

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 06:36:35 AM »
welcome from a fairly new guy here as well :D great place and that shoutbox is like crrrrrrrack…

ceti alpha

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 07:28:05 AM »
welcome from a fairly new guy here as well :D great place and that shoutbox is like crrrrrrrack…

You ain't lyin' sparks. lol

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

turbokon

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 08:30:34 AM »
Welcome, you're at home here.  Your english is better then mine and I grew up here (originally from Cambodia).
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

rainbow_bright

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 01:02:01 PM »
welcome :) cool introduction!

Tom Phobos

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 05:28:27 AM »
Thank you for this nice welcome  :D Yes, the shoutbox is a great feature, it can really make addictive ;)

Oh, and because of Tatsujin: He is also a user in one of our german boards. And you can guess where he is most active: In the pc-engine section ;)

esteban

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 02:41:39 PM »
Welcome Tom Phobos! I think I've actually seen you on shoutbox the handful of times I've been on there.

I have a good friend who lives in Essen (Oberhausen!)

Enjoy your time here :)
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 05:17:58 PM »
Welcome aboard, HAR, HAAARRR, HAAAAAARRRRRR!
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).