Author Topic: Another bullshit game list  (Read 733 times)

Keranu

Another bullshit game list
« on: May 15, 2008, 08:50:56 PM »
This time it's for video game logos - http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/galleries/worst-console-logos-ever/?page=1 .

How is Turbo Express on there? That's just a way average logo, nothing great or wrong with it. Even more strange is how they list the TG16 logo in their greatest logo list when you'd think these people would hate it. I can't believe Neo Geo's was on there, that logo is just the coolest.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

Re: Another bullshit game list
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 09:08:59 PM »
Yeah, that's a pretty lame list.  It felt like they were making the list just for the sake of making the list without any real thought at all.  The TurboExpress logo wasn't painful to look at.  It served it's purpose fine, just as long as the original TG-16 logo was also there (which it was, I believe).  I always found the circular Neo Geo logo a bit goofy, but not really in a bad way.  It's better than the slobbering dog!

What about the 3DO with it's lame floating shapes?  Or the PS2 with it's weird-ass logo font?

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 11:09:06 PM »
Haha, 3DO would be a pretty good one to put on that list. I like the PS2 logo, even though it's kinda trying to be a little too flashy. Me and my bros always made fun of PS3 having the same font as Spiderman.

I also thought it was a little bogus for the Game Gear logo to be on there. Like Turbo Express, it was pretty plain but I like the simplicity of it. He went on to praise the other Sega logos, but I think the Saturn logo is a little cheesy. I also would've added N64 to the list or swapped it with Gamecube.

How about the R-ZONE logo?

Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

guyjin

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 11:36:40 PM »
I agree with some of these (like the Jaguar, ps3, and neo-geo - the latter looks far too amateurish and kiddy for such an expensive machine); but some of those are just dumb.

like the Game Gear one. The font is simple but effective, and the colored dots convey it's superiority (that's what they're for, geniues!) and the Turbo Express' is simple, clean, and professional looking. (the neo-geo's should have been more like this.)

Also, the fact that they like the American Saturn logo (which looks like a torsioned blue testicle) shows they have no taste. The Japanese red-S logo was much cooler. I blame the blue testcle for the American Saturn's demise.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

rainbow_bright

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 12:29:23 AM »
I like the neo geo logo :) It's much better than the, bigger, badder, better one..I also think the Jaguar logo is super cool. I remember seeing pics of the games expos and the Jaguar stands always looked super cool.

Sinistron

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 02:15:04 AM »
Very confusing to have the Express logo there.  It's three times more tasteful than anything else on the list- although I don't see anything wrong with the GameCube logo either- calling it a "colossal blunder" seems like a wide stretch.  The Game Gear one isn't that bad- and these fools are saying that they don't know what the colored ovals mean.  Even the gimpiest of fools could tell you it was used to convey that while Game Boy was black & white, Game Gear brought color.  True that the Lynx and Express also had color- but Game Gear's main competitor was still the black & white Game Boy.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 02:18:18 AM by Sinistron »

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
Quote from: Tatsujin
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

SignOfZeta

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 02:53:08 AM »
At this point I really think these guys are making stupid lists on purpose and then tracking forum responses for some sort of research experiment. The Turbo Express doesn't even have a proper logo. Its just...two words. Its not bad enough to be "worst". The Neo Geo logo is the best logo ever, btw. You guys are stupid heads.

"Behold, the purple lunch box of doom. You will not pass for attractive. You will not collect $200. Sorry Nintendo fans, but the big N made a colossal blunder with not only the GameCube system (it had a handle, for god's sake), but also its purple people eater logo. Don't remind us how girly and childlike our console is."

This was clearly written by a twelve year old try to prove how mature he is. It didn't work.

nat

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 03:39:29 AM »
Yeah, no shit.

It's funny they said that, too, I found the GameCube to be the "manliest" of Nintendo's systems up until that point, by a good stretch.

Tatsujin

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 04:56:10 AM »
teh poorest!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

guyjin

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 05:17:45 AM »
Yeah, no shit.

It's funny they said that, too, I found the GameCube to be the "manliest" of Nintendo's systems up until that point, by a good stretch.
Seriously? The NES looks kinda like a piece of AV equipment, which is kinda manly, and the N64 kinda looks like they were going for a muscle car look...
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

SignOfZeta

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 05:20:01 AM »
Yeah, no shit.

Have you ever taken apart a GC? Its one of the most perfectly designed systems ever, virtually overheat proof, quiet, and reliable as hell. Its...succinct. I do wish there were more than a dozen or so great games.

Compare that to a 360, which requires a forklift instead of a handle to move, and breaks every other week.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 05:37:06 AM »
Where the hell'd my post go?  :evil:

Anyway, this list blows.  I think they missed the point of the Turbo Express logo - it was intentionally low key, as they were marketing it as a portable TG-16 and not as a different system.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ceti alpha

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 08:12:52 AM »
Yeah, this list was bogus. Some I have to agree with like the Neo Geo logo. That's just weird. The PS3 logo IS a blatant rip off of the Spiderman logo. I think of Spiderman every time I see their logo actually.

But the GameCube logo is actually quite nice. The TurboExpress logo isn't too bad either. Necro is bang on in his explanation of the TE logo.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

esteban

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 01:51:50 PM »
Shoot, I'm gonna have to disagree with you folks about the Game Gear logo. It's not offensive, or anything like that, but as far as I am concerned, it just doesn't work.

The font, in and of itself, is not a problem -- it's how the different elements (font + layout of text + images) are arranged. These elements are not cohesive... I think a little bit of tinkering with these pieces could create a far superior logo.

Gamecube has a decent font (not my style, but it has some nice touches), and the concept for the "G box" is neat... unfortunately, I don't think the "G box" image is any good. I like the concept, but it just isn't fun. The "G box" image should be paired with a generic internet start-up... it would be perfect.

I agree with Joe that NEO GEO always looked a bit goofy, BUT, from a designer's perspective, I'd say that the NEO GEO logo is one of the best! It's weird... but all of the elements are cohesive, it conveys a wonderful sense of "fun" and "down to earthiness" that is missing from most logos... there is a charm to NEO GEO.

XBOX is just fugly. I hate the font (same for P3). I don't like the X-pit image, either. I actually think "XBOX" is a really kool name. The new 360 logo is nice... but it is rather bland. Yes, it is a huge improvement (a clean, minimalist look), but it won't get a "best of" vote, either.

TurboExpress is fine (I actually like the font). I don't see anything egregiously wrong with it. In fact, it isn't nearly as "offensive" as the vertical TG-16 logo!

I agree with some of these (like the Jaguar, ps3, and neo-geo - the latter looks far too amateurish and kiddy for such an expensive machine); but some of those are just dumb.

like the Game Gear one. The font is simple but effective, and the colored dots convey it's superiority (that's what they're for, geniues!) and the Turbo Express' is simple, clean, and professional looking. (the neo-geo's should have been more like this.)

Also, the fact that they like the American Saturn logo (which looks like a torsioned blue testicle) shows they have no taste. The Japanese red-S logo was much cooler. I blame the blue testcle for the American Saturn's demise.
  |    | 

Turbo D

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 02:07:02 PM »
Thats bullshit! lmao. what a gay list! I agree that dudes make lists like that just to get responses, haha.

Have you ever taken apart a GC? Its one of the most perfectly designed systems ever, virtually overheat proof, quiet, and reliable as hell.

Unfortunately for me, the gamecube is the only system that I've owned that has overheated. I own many systems, all of the good ones! The gamecube let me down! I lost a few hours of work on wind waker; I was very disappointed. I've left my playstations on overnight and they never overheated. I've even left my nes and supernintendo on overnight when I was a kid and they never overheated! same with other systems too!