Author Topic: I want happy and uplifting anime!  (Read 1303 times)

guyjin

Re: I want happy and uplifting anime!
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 06:52:25 AM »
I can recommend to you Initial D!;

is that where the D in 'Turbo D' comes from? what does it stand for?
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

esteban

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 08:21:38 AM »
You know, kirby, I was watching Pingu with my daughter the other day and I thought it was a pretty neat show.

No, I'm not trying to be smarmy. No, Pingu is not anime. Yes, Pingu is aimed at 3-year olds.

I don't know, you can laugh, but I thought it was "uplifting". :)
  |    | 

Turbo D

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 03:43:41 PM »
I can recommend to you Initial D!;

is that where the D in 'Turbo D' comes from? what does it stand for?

The "D" in 'turbo D" can stand for anything your imagination will come up with! or it can stand for David, the choice is yours!  :)

Lochlan

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 09:17:13 PM »
any of the Crayon Shin-chan movies

The show is far more hilarious than the movies, and IMO the english dub is excellent (despite some questionable cultural references intended to make it more relevant to Western audiences).  The manga is also quite good.  Very funny, but I don't know about "uplifting".

This is a funny topic.  Most anime (and manga) is "uplifting" in some way, but almost all also contain (or are fundamentally made up of) much darker elements -- probably because Japanese culture seems to love self-sacrifice and suffering (massochism?).  Even something like Astro Boy, while fundamentally a feel-good hero story, has some really horrific and tragic moments (in Astro's origin, his creator sells him to the circus after raising him as a loved son, where he is then treated as sub-human).  And the most "uplifting" stories generally tend to end with the protagonist(s) "winning" but dying or giving up the thing they love most or some equally bittersweet ending (Ashita no Joe is a prime example).

For something truly uplifiting, read Dragon Ball if you haven't already (or watch, if you must). (I mean "Dragon Ball", by the way -- pre-DBZ, which isn't that good anyway, and only should matter to fans as a continuation of the original serial.)  If you have doubts, throw away all your preconceptions, it's one of the best narratives ever created.  There are some sad moments, and like most anime there's a lot of dying and self-sacrifice, but the characters' successes overwhelmingly outweigh their tragedies.  If you watch it, make sure it has a JP dub and english subtitles and is the original uncut version -- the neutered English-dubbed one is terrible.

And +1 on Cromartie High School, which is amazingly funny (although, again, not particularly uplifting).
I'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

rainbow_bright

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 02:03:31 AM »
Thanks Lochlan, you always give long detailed answers :)

Well, When I said uplifting, I probably should have thought of a different word. I just don't want to watch like adult orientated anime..

Hope that makes sense!

Digi.k

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 02:13:45 AM »
hehe Shinchan is awesome..

You might also wanna check out Excel Saga which is just wierd and whacky but it does have lots and lots of LOL moments aaaannd my favourite !

AZUMANGA DAIOH!

This is an english clip I uploaded aaages ago I'm surprised i not been pested to take it down.. (its full of high school girls so expect lots of high pitched squeeky voices even in the japanese version)

here's Osaka!

At the pool

You could also try

Tenchi Muyo  (the original OVA's I don't like the spin offs)
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service
Laputa Castle in the sky
Fushigi Yugi
Cowboy Bebop
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 02:31:13 AM by Digi.k »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 03:36:33 AM »
any of the Crayon Shin-chan movies

The show is far more hilarious than the movies, and IMO the english dub is excellent (despite some questionable cultural references intended to make it more relevant to Western audiences).  The manga is also quite good.  Very funny, but I don't know about "uplifting".

Well, I'll just have to politely disagree here. Shin-chan is great regardless of medium, but I like the movies best. I've only ever seen the time travel one (where the dog learns to talk) and the super nostalgia tinged "Parents Strike Back" one which turned out to be one of my favorite feature length anime of all time. I absolutely love that thing for so many reasons.

And yeah, the dub is amazingly good, but at the same time Shin's voice in the JP version is one of the greatest, most iconic voices ever. I just can't do without. I like the original principal as well. Anime like Gundam or Death note being dubbed is one thing, but Shin-chan's voice is just so integral to the show for me. Its like watching Totoro dubbed or something. Unless you are 7 years old, its just a sacrilege of the illiterate. Like watching a Richard Pryor concert dubbed into German...

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 08:51:02 PM »
hehe Shinchan is awesome..

You might also wanna check out Excel Saga which is just wierd and whacky but it does have lots and lots of LOL moments aaaannd my favourite !

AZUMANGA DAIOH!

This is an english clip I uploaded aaages ago I'm surprised i not been pested to take it down.. (its full of high school girls so expect lots of high pitched squeeky voices even in the japanese version)

here's Osaka!

At the pool

You could also try

Tenchi Muyo  (the original OVA's I don't like the spin offs)
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service
Laputa Castle in the sky
Fushigi Yugi
Cowboy Bebop

Great, thanks alot!  Now I gotta buy AZUMANGA DAIOH after viewing the clips, I didn't want to spend anymore money!   :D

Digi.k

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 07:19:03 AM »
Please please PLEASE consider Excel Saga too!!

I can't even describe ES.. its just weird but funny (sci fi, comedy, love, drama all in one). Ilpalazzo's and his secret organization Across undertake as part of their conquest world domination with the aid of Hyperactive Excel (who strives for Ilpalazzo's affections) and later on a aneamic princess alien Hyatt and Excel's luckless neighbours.. Along the way you'll encounter Menchi the mutt, Nabeshin "Afro-man" agent, Pedro the immigrant worker, The Great Will of the Macrocosm and the Puchuu alien race!  There are some episodes where it kinda strays a bit.. and the last episode is a lil' extreme...

entire 1st episode (Koshi Rikdo Assassination plot!) is here English dub.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7HQQGW28

entire 2nd episode (The woman from Mars) english dub
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MQDQVQRJ

entire 3rd (the sacrificial lamb of the venomous great escape of hell) episode english dub
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LPXX0CV0

entire 4th episode (Love Puny) english dub
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YF16Z44S

Is that a parody of Tokimeki memorial and a brief cameo of Advance VG in ep 4?

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 07:25:47 AM by Digi.k »

Black Tiger

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 12:43:26 PM »
I can recommend to you Initial D!; its my favorite! Its about drift racing in the mountains of Japan. I first found out about it when I played this new Sega racer at the arcade. The cool art and story in the cut scenes really got me into the game, so I decided to check out the manga and anime. I was then hooked! Also check out My Neighbor Totoro; a true classic!

My Neighbor Totoro is a tragic thriller about a couple young girls who begin to lose their grip on sanity due to the emotional burden of their mother being terminally ill. Even after death they carry on the delusions as their spirits haunt their parents.

Even though it doubles as a light fantasy for casual viewers, the darker/realistic side is pretty brutal (such as finding a young child's shoe as they drag the rivers for a corpse).
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

SignOfZeta

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 05:33:49 PM »
Quote from: Black Tiger
(such as finding a young child's shoe as they drag the rivers for a corpse).

Holly shit you are a master of misdirection! You should be in Congress.

GUTS

« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2008, 11:04:14 AM »
Wow I didn't get any of that out of My Neighbor Totoro.  When did they die?

Watch Great Teacher Onizuka if you want a happy, uplifting anime.  This is totally serious, I'm not trying to be funny by recommending something dark and depressing.  GTO is one of the best anime series I've ever watched, in fact even people who normally don't like anime agree it rules.

termis

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 12:55:47 AM »
It's a bit of a necropost, but as I'm going through some stressful times as of right now, I needed something uplifting as well.

So I just checked out the first episode of GTO after GUT's recommendation, and yeah, that was pretty damn good.  I actually recall reading the Korean-translated manga of this character's younger bosozoku years about.... 10 years ago or so...

I wasn't ever huge in to anime (I prefer reading manhwa/Korean-translated manga), but yeah, this one seems really cool.

Paisa49

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 05:27:00 AM »
What about Ranma 1/2? I love that series.

MissaFX

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 05:32:55 AM »
I would recommend that you watch:

Fruits Basket
Galaxy Fraulein Yuna OVAs 1 and 2
The Cat Returns
Fairy Princess Ren
El Hazard OVAs  (TV series isn't bad either)
(If you hate Sailor Moon) Sailor Moon Eps 45-46 :wink:

Uplifting, but maybe not always happy:

Fushigi Yuugi TV series
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08