Author Topic: I want happy and uplifting anime!  (Read 1306 times)

MissaFX

Re: I want happy and uplifting anime!
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 05:36:51 AM »
What about Ranma 1/2? I love that series.

I wore my Ranma 1/2 "Girl Type" Viz shirt the other day to the LARP game.  I always considered it a tragic story though, rather than an uplifing one.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

RR1980

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 04:00:35 PM »
hehe with this being the PCE/Turbo forum I am surprised no one have mentioned Wataru (Keith Courage) or Granzort yet! They were my favorite anime growing up and that was one of the major reason why I prefer the PCE over the other consoles. And then if you want something a lil' dirty ala South Park there's always Ping Pong Club! ;-)

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 07:33:25 PM »
I don't think Wataru or Granzort has been release outside of Japan, have they?  At the very least, I've never seen a dub for either.  I hate subtitles with a passion.

Lochlan

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 09:44:36 PM »
At the very least, I've never seen a dub for either.  I hate subtitles with a passion.

](*,)

English dubs are horrible 95% of the time.  Occasionally I am impressed by a dub (Shin Chan) but usually just find myself cringing (Naruto).

Yes, subtitles slightly distract from the (arguably more important) animation, but the superior voice acting by the original Seiyū almost always more than makes up for it.  You also can pick up on parts of the dialog that are more "correct" than the dubbed translation; I don't speak Japanese, but being a huge wasian or whatever I can occasionally pick up on some cultural cues with, for instance, honorifics -- something usually ignored or poorly/inadequately conveyed with dubs.
I'm not sorry about this, as I'm not sorry about ANY attack by the goverrats.

termis

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2008, 01:05:53 AM »
I said this before -- And I'm not saying I prefer English dubs over subtitles (I don't), but trust me on this one -- if you understand the language, Japanese dubbing in anime usually sounds just as stupid as English dubbing.

MissaFX

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2008, 05:36:18 AM »
I think the Shin Chan dub is precious.  I actually copied the first series to one MD to appriciate it as a radio show.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

GUTS

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2008, 08:59:59 AM »
No shit, there's whole culture of nerds out there who swear that anime voice acting is so great, blah blah, but really the only reason they think Japanese voice actors are so awesome is because they can't understand what the f*ck they're saying.  I don't get these dumb shits that follow female voice actors around like they can actually tell them apart.

Lochlan

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2008, 09:35:33 AM »
No shit, there's whole culture of nerds out there who swear that anime voice acting is so great, blah blah, but really the only reason they think Japanese voice actors are so awesome is because they can't understand what the f*ck they're saying.  I don't get these dumb shits that follow female voice actors around like they can actually tell them apart.

Or maybe it's because there's an overwhelmingly large number of bad US voice actors?

Personally, I am primarily interested in hearing a voice that doesn't make me want to jam out my eardrum with an icepick.  Regardless of my language, I know what's pleasing to my ear, and I can think of a dozen times off the top of my head where I've heard a US dub where a voice was so excruciatingly painful it was distracting from the plot.

lol @ feelings of nerd superiority
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 09:52:41 AM by Lochlan »

GUTS

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2008, 12:26:49 PM »
I feel the same way, I hate dubs.  What I'm saying is that what Termis said is probably 100% spot on and all these kids who are "fans" of voice actors can't understand the language.

Black Tiger

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 12:37:37 PM »

Or maybe it's because there's an overwhelmingly large number of bad US voice actors?

Personally, I am primarily interested in hearing a voice that doesn't make me want to jam out my eardrum with an icepick.  Regardless of my language, I know what's pleasing to my ear, and I can think of a dozen times off the top of my head where I've heard a US dub where a voice was so excruciatingly painful it was distracting from the plot.

lol @ feelings of nerd superiority

I think that there is a lot of great japanese anime voice acting. But its the minority, just like good anime itself. But thankfully there so much anime in general, that after sifting through it all, we're left with a ton of great stuff.

I don't love every japanese performance in PC Engine games either, but a game like Snatcher Sega-CD doesn't even compare to the original. From what I remember, Ys I & II was an improvement overall in english.

I can't get into most newer anime, but one classic that sucks in japanese compared to the dub is Fist of teh North Star the movie.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

RR1980

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 06:43:38 PM »
yeah most anime aren't available in dubs so usually beggers can't be choosers and I would get them in Japanese with English subtitles anyways like I bought Wataru series 1-3 and Granzort on dvds on ebay (yes those bootleg ones although you honestly wouldn't be able to tell if you look at them cause the packagings look SO GOOD they are probably better than any actual studio releases if there were any). And then for the ones that have dubs they are usually pretty terrible with the recent Saint Seiya dub that was on tv being possibly the worst in history (for changing the characters into surfer dudes :-S) but one that I actually thought was quite good was Inuyasha I actually prefer the dub over the fan sub AND the fan subs for Inuysha are already probably the best ones you will ever see as for as fan subs go! :-D

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 06:51:04 PM »
At the very least, I've never seen a dub for either.  I hate subtitles with a passion.

](*,)

English dubs are horrible 95% of the time.  Occasionally I am impressed by a dub (Shin Chan) but usually just find myself cringing (Naruto).

Yes, subtitles slightly distract from the (arguably more important) animation, but the superior voice acting by the original Seiyū almost always more than makes up for it.  You also can pick up on parts of the dialog that are more "correct" than the dubbed translation; I don't speak Japanese, but being a huge wasian or whatever I can occasionally pick up on some cultural cues with, for instance, honorifics -- something usually ignored or poorly/inadequately conveyed with dubs.

See, I'm different.  I absolutely LOVE the way all the various actor's portray the characters in Naruto!  When I listen to the Japanese ones, they all sound the same, like there's no diversity voicewise(for the most part).  And honestly, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a dubbed anime, where I hated the voice acting!  There are so many talented voice actors in the US & Canada IMHO!

But, if you want to hear bad voice acting....look up the the Star TV dubs of Transformers Headmasters....now that's just cringe worthy!
Here's a clip

nectarsis

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2008, 06:58:11 PM »
ROFLMAO..oh the memories..WORST DUB EVER
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:<br><a href="http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://www.blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436</a>

Lochlan

« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2008, 10:22:07 PM »
See, I'm different.  I absolutely LOVE the way all the various actor's portray the characters in Naruto!

I don't mind some of the voices in the Naruto dub; the voice that really drives me crazy is Naruto.  The funny thing is that the dub actually sounds like the JP Naruto -- but only when he's angry/yelling/serious and has that gravely quality to his voice.  In other words, the English dub makes Naruto sound like he's always yelling, and frankly his voice is just annoying.  It doesn't help that he has more lines than anyone else.

(And besides, the dubbed version is censored heavily -- as it's intended for children -- which severely undercuts the intensity of the plot.)

but one that I actually thought was quite good was Inuyasha I actually prefer the dub

The Inuyasha dub is pretty good overall, but the one voice that ruins it for me is Kaede, with her abortion of Old English.  I can only assume that it's an attempt to convey the usage of an old dialect, but it ruins the feel of feudal Japan for me when she, for instance, uses phrases like "ye be" instead of "you are".

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2008, 10:42:31 PM »
I can understand Naruto's voice getting annoying for some, but, I like it, I even liked the "believe it"....though, in moderation :lol: