Author Topic: eBay just shot itself in the foot...again.  (Read 917 times)

Nintega Turbine Trio-CBS

Re: eBay just shot itself in the foot...again.
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 07:58:25 AM »
You shot yourself on your foot buddy  :twisted:

socalmike

The Reason Behind The Name - ChaseTheChuckwagon.com
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 03:35:43 AM »
That one's worse. And it implies nothing about gaming. These people lack the vision of marketability. "But we're a community!" Great! Commune away! And good luck getting visitors. eBay succeeded because it's a brand, and a simple brand name that's easy to remember. You have to market your site whether you're a "community" or not. They can list all the nifty features they want, but unless they know how to market their brand (which they don't because they don't even HAVE a brand), they're dead in the water.

To say our name has nothing to do with gaming has older collectors rolling their eyes :roll:

Uh, ChaseTheChuckwagon is very significant with classic gaming.  It was a promotional Atari 2600 Cartridge that was part of a purina dog food campaign back in the early 80's.  The campaign failed and very few of these "Chase The Chuckwagon" games made it out into consumer's hands.  So to collectors of at least the Atari games, this is a highly sought after game.  And in fact, was the original "HOLY GRAIL" of ALL video game collecting.  And it has also become synonomous with collectors for finding that one rare item for their collections - as in Chasing The Chuckwagon.  So it has tremendous significance and is iconic among older collectors.  And thus seemed like a perfect name for an auction site that is used to buy and sell collectible video games.

Here is some info on this Atari Game:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chase_the_Chuck_Wagon
http://www.atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareID=917
http://www.atariguide.com/4/423.htm

And as far as community, we are building one heck of a community. We recently launched a Chuckwagon Members Forum so everyone can get to know who they will be buying and selling with.  It is a great complement to the auction site.

Here is a link to the forums:  http://www.chasingthechuckwagon.com/upload/index.php

And here is a link discussing ChaseTheChuckwagon VS. Ebay Cost Comparisons:
http://www.chasingthechuckwagon.com/upload/showthread.php?t=131

We are approaching 600 members in only a bit over 3 months so we are doing something right :) 
Jump on the Chuckwagon Bandwagon !

So Cal Mike
Owner, http://www.ChaseTheChuckwagon.com
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 11:54:50 AM by socalmike »

Black Tiger

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 06:03:30 AM »
I wish you guys luck with your site and I don't think that you're doing anything wrong, but the name "Chase The Chuckwagon" isn't the best for a game auction site, since it's the slogan of a much higher profile dog food campaign from the 80's.

Kinda like naming something "Yo! Noid" if the NES game had been rare, except that Chuck Wagon was more well known in the first place (Family Guy parodied the commercial, not the game).

The thinking behind it is sound though and if you're primarily catering to the pre-8bit or strictly Atari crowd then it's probably a good idea. But if I were making a site to sell mainly TG-16/PCE games on, I wouldn't name it PCCocoron.com or SpaceFantasyZone.com, if only because they've got quite a few syllables and wouldn't be as easy to remember for the non-hardcore.

With that said, if your site does well and/or continues to, I'll be shopping there soon myself. :)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

socalmike

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 06:28:32 AM »
I wish you guys luck with your site and I don't think that you're doing anything wrong, but the name "Chase The Chuckwagon" isn't the best for a game auction site, since it's the slogan of a much higher profile dog food campaign from the 80's.

Kinda like naming something "Yo! Noid" if the NES game had been rare, except that Chuck Wagon was more well known in the first place (Family Guy parodied the commercial, not the game).

The thinking behind it is sound though and if you're primarily catering to the pre-8bit or strictly Atari crowd then it's probably a good idea. But if I were making a site to sell mainly TG-16/PCE games on, I wouldn't name it PCCocoron.com or SpaceFantasyZone.com, if only because they've got quite a few syllables and wouldn't be as easy to remember for the non-hardcore.

With that said, if your site does well and/or continues to, I'll be shopping there soon myself. :)

Thanks for your consideration.  I will stick with the name but have also created a shorter version:

http://www.CdubZ.com.  Kind of meaningless like Ebay but short for CW :)

ChaseTheChuckwagon.com was launched to give gamers a less-expensive auction alternative dedicated to both classic and modern video games, electronic handheld games, arcade games & pinball machines, vintage PC Gaming, Current PC & On-line gaming, and a few catch all categories that were added at the request of some of our members - Music and Movies, Vintage Toys and Games and Pop Culture.  But mainly dedicated to video gaming.

And the name is suprisingly easy to remember if you ask me.  And it's now being called things like CTCW, The Chuckwagon,etc in other forums :)  You will remember it, mark my words :)  Hope to see you give it a try soon.  No brand takes off immediately.  Brands are only created by longevity in the marketplace.  Ebay means nothing really (East of the Bay?? or Echo Bay).  Meaningless to everybody but now everyone knows it.  Marketing and longevity can turn any name into a brand.  Look at Google, Yahoo, etc.  Nothing shouts out "SEARCH ENGINE" to me about these names.  Give it time and ChaseTheChuckwagon.com will be a known brand within the video gaming auction space.  Simple as that!

Listen to our home page feature "Auction Talk" to hear up-to-date site growth statistics as well as learn about new and interesting items recently listed for auction.  And we have a had lots of import PC Engine games sell so be sure to check it out regularly to see what you are missing :)

Here is a link to our "Auction Talk" episode:
http://www.chasingthechuckwagon.com/Auction%20Talk.mp3

And some links to some PCE items:

http://www.chasethechuckwagon.com/html/category/8100-1.html

Dang, I think I hit the limit for "happy faces" in one post.

So Cal Mike
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 10:07:24 AM by socalmike »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 07:24:59 AM »
Give it time and ChaseTheChuckwagon.com will be a known brand within the video gaming auction space.

Best of luck to ye, until you piss off ebay and they back a truckload of cash and high class hookers up to your door to get you to sell out to them.  Good for you and the hoes, I suppose, but not so good for us.  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nodtveidt

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 10:43:49 AM »
As socalmike has removed his comments, I have thus removed mine.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:09:25 PM by The Old Rover »

socalmike

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 10:56:27 AM »
Edited this one too  :-#
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:22:18 PM by socalmike »

socalmike

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 11:07:06 AM »
I dont know i think Chasethechuckwagon.com is great and we need to support it by getting the word out about it.

But i really will support any alternative to Ebay really. :D

Thanks for your support JBP   :dance:  Here and on other forums.  It is appreciated !!

So Cal Mike

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 11:07:57 AM »
You picked a great time to be a condescending dickhead, socalmike. Just for that, I have no intention of ever supporting your site.

Do whatever you wish with your money, but his post wasn't any more condescending than the message that he was responding to.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 11:08:30 AM »
So Cal Mike,to be completely honest with you,outside of the nich 2600 collectors out there,no one is going to have  a f*cking clue what Chase the Chuck Wagon stands for other then the dog food,and for that matter anyone too young simply wont give a f*ck. The 2600 collectors seem to be their own breed,and most people collecting anything else tend to just ignore the 2600 other then for passive collecting in small amounts, not heading out for the few rare high dollar titles. Seriously,I mean the 2600 isn't even fun anymore except for  a few titles that had just solid gameplay. My son,who loves the old stuff simply refuses to touch anything with less gaming quality then the Colecovision, and hes extremely open minded.

For that matter,I get really confused as to why people carry on like their little pop up auction sites are doing really well when anyone can take a look and clearly see there isn't much going on other then some average Nes and genesis listings. The only reason I even remember Chase the Chuck Wagon is around is because threads like this one keep getting bumped. Otherwise I would simply forget all together,as I hate the name,and am not impressed by the actual auction activity,regardless of how many members have signed up. You want to brag of success,come back when you have plenty of Master System,Sega Cd,Neo-Geo,TG16-Pc Engine,Jaguar,3DO,Import PS1,Dreamcast,Saturn,and jamma listings. Till your auction house is hosting auctions like these,you're just a small time tribute to a failed dog food promotion only Atari 2600 nerds care about.

Change the name to suit everyone,not just a certain social class of Atari collectors,advertise more, and start looking more cutting edge. Thats all I currently have to say.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 11:10:06 AM by Michael Helgeson »

socalmike

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2008, 11:23:01 AM »
So Cal Mike,to be completely honest with you,outside of the nich 2600 collectors out there,no one is going to have  a f*cking clue what Chase the Chuck Wagon stands for other then the dog food,and for that matter anyone too young simply wont give a f*ck. The 2600 collectors seem to be their own breed,and most people collecting anything else tend to just ignore the 2600 other then for passive collecting in small amounts, not heading out for the few rare high dollar titles. Seriously,I mean the 2600 isn't even fun anymore except for  a few titles that had just solid gameplay. My son,who loves the old stuff simply refuses to touch anything with less gaming quality then the Colecovision, and hes extremely open minded.

For that matter,I get really confused as to why people carry on like their little pop up auction sites are doing really well when anyone can take a look and clearly see there isn't much going on other then some average Nes and genesis listings. The only reason I even remember Chase the Chuck Wagon is around is because threads like this one keep getting bumped. Otherwise I would simply forget all together,as I hate the name,and am not impressed by the actual auction activity,regardless of how many members have signed up. You want to brag of success,come back when you have plenty of Master System,Sega Cd,Neo-Geo,TG16-Pc Engine,Jaguar,3DO,Import PS1,Dreamcast,Saturn,and jamma listings. Till your auction house is hosting auctions like these,you're just a small time tribute to a failed dog food promotion only Atari 2600 nerds care about.

Change the name to suit everyone,not just a certain social class of Atari collectors,advertise more, and start looking more cutting edge. Thats all I currently have to say.

](*,)

You really have to give us and others trying to help out the collecting community a freaking break here.  What is the harm at having choices to Ebay?  And considering I have a real job and I am not depending on the Chuckwagon to bring me any windfall for years to come -- it isn't going to go away anytime soon.  It will continue to grow each day (3-5 members average)  Why is that there are so many to dis something that is good for the gaming community?  It's a mystery to me.  Tell me why offering a significantly less expensive alternative dedicated to gamers would inspire such comments? 

You are the same crowd that loves Ebay and continues to pay them fees even when your items don't sell. I've said it before, they have the best customer base ever -- you can piss them off and the still come back for more. 

And we have had many high dollar things get sold on the Chuckwagon.  If you spend some time there you will see lots of rare, desireable items selling for good money.  We've also had our share of Sega/NEC auctions run and close and in fact have a member that will be listing over 200 dreamcast items in the next week.  We've also had tons of PCEngine Import games listed and sold.  You obviously haven't even looked at it.

We've only been on line for 3 months and have hosted over 3500 auctions for all systems and have sold almost $15,000 worth of merchandise for sellers so it's well on its way.  The name really is neither here nor there as you can't find one name that relates to everyone.  The site is for all systems classic to modern.  Heck the inspiration behind the logo is an NES system.  So forget about the name and just try it out.  You have nothing to lose :)

So Cal Mike
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 11:37:23 AM by socalmike »

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2008, 11:35:23 AM »

You really have to give us and others trying to help out the collecting community a freaking break here.  What is the harm at having choices to Ebay?  And considering I have a real job and I am not depending on the Chuckwagon to bring me any windfall for years to come -- it isn't going to go away anytime soon.  It will continue to grow each day (3-5 members average)  Why is that there are some many to dis something that is good for the community?  It's a mystery to me.

You are the same crowd that loves Ebay and continues to pay them fees even when your items don't sell. I've said it before, they have the best customer base every -- you can piss them off and the still come back for more. 

And we have had many high dollar things get sold on the Chuckwagon.  If you spend some time there you will see lots of rare, desireable items selling for good money.  You obviously haven't even looked at it.

Theres nothing wrong with having multiple choice to ebay,as long as they are done right. Also,this is a Pc-Engine/Turbografx community. Unless there is a ton of NEC related auctions you're not really improving our community much,just helping us nab cheap nes and genesis carts.

As far as ebay goes. I let my seller account die,and not due to items not selling,I just did not like the new system they adopted for feedback. I had no problem with the fees,as the site had alot of traffic and my items always sold pretty well except in rare occasions.

As for looking around on the site. I have done so a few times now as this thread got bumped. Every time I did I saw nothing listed related to what I collect,as mentioned above,that I just felt I had to sign up and bid on. I also don't expect anyone to set out to list said types of items on a site with not as heavy traffic and  alack luster brand name.

As I said,

socalmike

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008, 11:42:02 AM »

You really have to give us and others trying to help out the collecting community a freaking break here.  What is the harm at having choices to Ebay?  And considering I have a real job and I am not depending on the Chuckwagon to bring me any windfall for years to come -- it isn't going to go away anytime soon.  It will continue to grow each day (3-5 members average)  Why is that there are some many to dis something that is good for the community?  It's a mystery to me.

You are the same crowd that loves Ebay and continues to pay them fees even when your items don't sell. I've said it before, they have the best customer base every -- you can piss them off and the still come back for more. 

And we have had many high dollar things get sold on the Chuckwagon.  If you spend some time there you will see lots of rare, desireable items selling for good money.  You obviously haven't even looked at it.

Theres nothing wrong with having multiple choice to ebay,as long as they are done right. Also,this is a Pc-Engine/Turbografx community. Unless there is a ton of NEC related auctions you're not really improving our community much,just helping us nab cheap nes and genesis carts.

As far as ebay goes. I let my seller account die,and not due to items not selling,I just did not like the new system they adopted for feedback. I had no problem with the fees,as the site had alot of traffic and my items always sold pretty well except in rare occasions.

As for looking around on the site. I have done so a few times now as this thread got bumped. Every time I did I saw nothing listed related to what I collect,as mentioned above,that I just felt I had to sign up and bid on. I also don't expect anyone to set out to list said types of items on a site with not as heavy traffic and  alack luster brand name.

As I said,

First off, I didn't start this thread and mention our name here.  Someone else did. I was simply setting the record straight as I said before.  In time you will see the types of items you are looking for.  Join the site, log into the forums and post in our "wanted" section what you are looking for.  I am sure we have plenty of people with NEC items you would be interested in.  It has to start somewhere and build.  Ebay started out as a site for Pez Collectors to trade their toys.  I would think an industry the size of the video gaming industry merits it's own auction site.  ChaseTheChuckwagon.com will be that site.  Let's see where it is five years from now.  And it will be here then.  Mark my words.  Whether or not you are on it is another questions, I guess. :)

www.CdubZ.com

So Cal Mike
Owner and Defender of http://www.ChaseTheChuckwagon.com
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 11:48:47 AM by socalmike »

nodtveidt

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008, 11:50:23 AM »
Do whatever you wish with your money, but his post wasn't any more condescending than the message that he was responding to.
Telling me to "do my research" and "educate yourself my friend" is as condescending as it gets. Yeah, I'm a bit on edge right now, but if he did HIS research, he'd know why.

socalmike

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 11:57:19 AM »

Telling me to "do my research" and "educate yourself my friend" is as condescending as it gets. Yeah, I'm a bit on edge right now, but if he did HIS research, he'd know why.

I have "edited" my original post and removed the condescending connotations as it wasn't intended.

So Cal Mike
Owner & Defender of http://www.ChaseTheChuckwagon.com