Author Topic: Favorite sega systems?  (Read 773 times)

guyjin

Favorite sega systems?
« on: May 20, 2008, 01:56:19 PM »
Vote for your sega system order of preference.

Yeah, the Game Gear isn't included, and neither are the Genesis add ons. Would have made the poll an order of magnitude harder. Treat them as if they are their parent systems.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

nat

Re: Favorite sega systems?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 02:08:53 PM »
Is this poll in any way influenced by the discussion in the shoutbox the other day?  :D

Are we voting with the first system being your favorite, or the last system being your favorite? I voted in order of favorite to least favorite.

So that would be Dreamcast, Saturn, SMS, Genesis for me.

Dreamcast-- Awesome, awesome system. The other 128-bitters couldn't touch it in terms of "fun games." Also, it pioneered a whole bunch of shit, namely Internet access on a console. The fact you can play SMS games at nearly 100% correctness is a big plus. Not to mention all the other emulators available for it. It's sexy. (Put a Dreamcast next to an XBOX and you'll see what I mean.) Tons of "independent" releases. The list goes on, and on. And on.

Saturn-- This is probably #1 for a lot of people, but the 32-bit era was my least favorite era of gaming. Still, it did an admirable job and had some great 2D stuff. (Can't touch the PC-FX though.  :P)

SMS-- Someone (guyjin?) said the SMS was the NeoGeo AES of the 8-bit era. Enough said.

Genesis-- To coin a runinruder phrase, the Genesis was "weaksauce" compared to SEGA's other consoles. It had an annoying soundchip that tended to make my ears bleed and it's color ability was arguably inferior to that of the SMS. Everything was brown, purple, or dithered to all hell. It had a few good games I still play today (Sonic series, Vectorman, Space Harrier II, and a couple shooters) but... that was about it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 02:16:20 PM by nat »

guyjin

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 02:12:19 PM »
Is this poll in any way influenced by the discussion in the shoutbox the other day?  :D

Yepper.

SMS-- Someone (guyjin?) said the SMS was the NeoGeo AES of the 8-bit era. Enough said.

I did say that. Because it's true.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 02:40:45 PM »
I voted Genesis, SMS, Saturn, DC.  It's hard to rate them, but the DC is definitely last.  It was a good system, it was just less good than the others plus had one of the shittiest controllers EVER.  The laser is loud enough to scar your ears permanently.  It was definitely the least Sega-ish of all the Sega systems.  I don't get why people complain about the Genesis sound chip, they should complain about games that used the GEMS sound engine instead.  The Genesis could do lots of great sound and music that the PCE couldn't ever even think of doing.  The Saturn is awesome, especially if you're into imports.  Fortunately I got most of my "rare" games when they were new long before prices escalated.  I've always had a love affair with the Sega Master System.  There is something very special about it and I keep buying every game I see for it.  I don't care about the Japanese versions in their crappy cardboard boxes, but there is justs something about the white inserts on black plastic that is cool.  I also don't really care much about the Japanese FM sound capability, though it would be cool to have.  Too bad the NES has better sound overall.

guyjin

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 03:00:58 PM »
I don't get why people complain about the Genesis sound chip, they should complain about games that used the GEMS sound engine instead.  The Genesis could do lots of great sound and music that the PCE couldn't ever even think of doing.

I agree. Some Genesis music is among the best 16 bit game music ever. Musha, the Phantasy Star games and Herzog Zwei spring immediately to mind.

I've always had a love affair with the Sega Master System.  There is something very special about it and I keep buying every game I see for it.  I don't care about the Japanese versions in their crappy cardboard boxes, but there is justs something about the white inserts on black plastic that is cool.  I also don't really care much about the Japanese FM sound capability, though it would be cool to have.  Too bad the NES has better sound overall.

Seriously? I find SMS music to be better than NES music in most cases.

termis

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 03:03:30 PM »
Really depends on my mood.  I've had lots of fun on all of them.  This is a total cop-out, but for me, it'd be something like this:

SMS < Genesis <= Dreamcast <= Saturn

Joe Redifer

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 03:21:40 PM »
Quote from: guyjin

Seriously? I find SMS music to be better than NES music in most cases.

I'm talking technically.  The NES seemed to be able to create a slightly wider range of sounds (as well as more simultaneously) and also had the ability to sound smoother.  Don't get me wrong, I love my SMS PSG.  I like how games like Phantasy Star would fade the overworld music out to begin a battle, and the battle music would play.  When the battle was over the overworld would fade back in, and the music would pick up from where it left off instead of starting over at the beginning like every other game on the planet.

EDIT:  Moving to Console Chat
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 03:42:03 PM by Joe Redifer »

Bonknuts

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 04:47:58 PM »
It's funny, a lot of Genesis fans can't understand why or how people could not like the sound chip. There are some great tunes on the YM2612, but outside of those it's redundant sounding and/or scratchy. The Genesis had awesome bass/slap bass/pluck bass instruments, but all FM chips did. People  say the GEMS is a major issue why a lot of games sounded bad - they should check out MML. Writing good music in MML takes serious talent. A lot of japanese sound developers used MML.

The Dreamcast was Sega's best console, but Genesis has the best memories for me (1st and 2nd gen games, later gen was a let down). I didn't play my Genesis much after Sonic 2 came out. I didn't care for the direction Sega's image was going. I originally skipped the SMS since Nintendo had much more games at the time. SMS never really got the love that FC had and thus wasn't really pushed technically. Some really late gen SMS games have some really nice graphics. I also skipped the Saturn for PS1, but I picked one up later. I love the arcade ports for it as well as some of the other original titles. Dreamcast was great. I was really disappointed that it was canceled so early. I gave Sony the finger and jumped to GC. Nintendo gave me the finger and I bought a PS2 (3 times... I hate you Sony  :| ).

But yeah, Dreamcast.

Keranu

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 04:57:03 PM »
Where's the Pico? :P

My vote would be like Genesis - Saturn - Master System/Dreamcast (tied).

Genesis - Pure classic and epic.
Saturn - PCE's younger brother.
Master System / Dreamcast - Both great systems, but I still haven't got into the games enough to appreciate them as much as the other Sega consoles.

Quote from: Bonknuts
A lot of japanese sound developers used MML.
You know it has always been my opinion that the only Genesis games that sound good are ones made by Sega themselves or games that were published be Sage's Creation. I guess it's because of this MML thing you speak of since western games have shit sound (though I do love Sonic 3's soundtrack). In the hands of the right developers, the Genesis soundchip is marvelous.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 05:22:16 PM »
In the hands of the right developers, the Genesis soundchip is marvelous.

Unfortunately, it was in the "wrong" hands 90% of the time.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 05:37:30 PM »
90% is way too high.  Maybe 50-60% or so, which would be about average on any system, including the beloved Turbo.

nat

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 05:56:37 PM »
90% is way too high.  Maybe 50-60% or so

Then I shall agree to disagree :)

which would be about average on any system, including the beloved Turbo.

Quite true, however, I'll take crappy Turbo PSG over crappy ear-splitting Genesis FM any day.

The Turbo at it's worst sounds like a souped up NES, and NES sound was great. Although truth be told, I prefer my TurboGrafx-16 games not sound like the NES, since I can go play an NES if I'm in the mood for that stuff.

But I digress....

Dreamcast FTW!

Joe Redifer

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 06:26:52 PM »
Ear splitting?  Examples (besides the ultra crappy Sonic Spinball)?

Digi.k

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 10:33:08 PM »
Saturn was my favourite imo this was when Sega were finally hitting that magic with their games..  with Dreamcast following close second (mostly because of Phantasy Star online and console online gaming).

Wasn't too keen on the Genesis or Master system as I was v.happy with the pc engine/duo and SNES.

Turbo D

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 10:37:36 PM »
Genesis, Master System, Dreamcast, Saturn. I like the genesis the best. The master is just cool! There are so many master games that I love. The Dreamcast rocks awesomeness! The Saturn also rocks Awesomeness! What a tough choice Guyjin!?!?!?!!!