Author Topic: Neo Geo is the REAL DEAL  (Read 2046 times)

Joe Redifer

Neo Geo is the REAL DEAL
« on: May 20, 2008, 05:58:33 PM »
Way back about 900 years ago I wrote a letter to SNK about their advertising tactics and claims for their Neo Geo system.  I had already rented the system by this point and unfortunately I don't have the original letter I sent them (it was probably a bit fanboyish, but with relevant points).  What I do have, however, is SNK's hilarious reply.  I absolutely love this letter.  Here it is:

A few comments about each point:

1 - This is awesome.  I wonder how he feels about this now that we can see exactly how they were measured.  Magician Lord = 46 MegaBYTES?  The real game is only 5.6 Megabytes or so uncompressed, which equals around 46 megabits... or so.  Of course ANY technician could prove me wrong... right?  But I am a movie theater projection technician....  shouldn't I be able to prove myself wrong?

3 - This is the same reason the Genesis is 24-bit.  And even the SNES.  Goodness, how many bits would the Saturn be?  Heh.

4 - Uh oh.  Did he just say that?  Oh no he di'int!  Now it's on!  How pissed are all of you on a scale of 1-10?  15?  256?

5 - According to this, the Playstation 3 has the best, most fun games ever.  Either that or the Neo Geo can run Playstation 3 games since it has infinite power and all.  Great stuff!

Anyway I'm sure I replied with some smarmy comments, but I don't have a copy of that letter, either.  Maybe the Game Lord does.  Anyway I rented the Neo Geo again and I eventually bought one.  It really is THE REAL DEAL.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 06:13:08 PM by Joe Redifer »

nat

Re: Neo Geo is the REAL DEAL
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 06:05:08 PM »
Hahaha, great stuff. That letter sounds like it was written by a 15 year old.

I wonder what "problems" Chad Okada felt the TurboGrafx-CD had.

This sentence really had me going: "Realistically, we are faster than any 32-bit system because we can 'bite' off about 330 MEGabytes at any one time."

What the f*ck does that even MEAN?!?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 06:06:58 PM by nat »

SignOfZeta

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 06:43:10 PM »
[quote author]
This sentence really had me going: "Realistically, we are faster than any 32-bit system because we can 'bite' off about 330 MEGabytes at any one time."

What the f*ck does that even MEAN?!?
[/quote]

Honestly, that's the most intelligent thing in this amazingly stupid letter. He's saying that 32-bit systems had memory problems, which they certainly did. The "Giga Power" (although back then it was just after the 100 Mega Shock era) sure kicks the crap out of the 2MB of RAM (or less) most 32-bit systems had. A gigantic cart never loads and has constant high speed random access. This is the whole reason why the Geo is so f*cking awesome; huge carts.

SNKUSA has never really known WTF they were selling. Take the recent example of them describing KOF XII as having a "cell shaded look".

This letter is so amazing. Even for SNKUSA its infantile.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 06:47:22 PM »
While I agree with you on the memory issue, Zeta, take a look at the date on the letter.  1991.  32-bit home systems weren't to come out or even be announced for quite some time.

Turbo D

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 06:47:43 PM »
lmao, thats some good readin' Joe! I'm glad you harassed them! I don't know what his beef with tgcd is though. He'd be shocked to play the great arcade cd ports of neogeo games!

Joe Redifer

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 06:57:14 PM »
I can't remember the point I made that he is replying to.  I think I may have said something about how the Neo Geo could not do a game like Ys Book 1 or 2 (with audio intact) or maybe that how Ys 1 & 2 contained lots of memory and stuff like that yet cost only what a normal game costs.  I'm only guessing what I likely said.  It hadn't been long since I had beaten Ys 1 & 2 when I sent him the letter, I can tell by the date.

guyjin

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 10:52:12 PM »
that letter looks like a bad forum post!  :roll:
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

nodtveidt

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 12:05:18 AM »
A gigantic cart never loads and has constant high speed random access.
Well, almost. Ever played Street Fighter Alpha 2 for the SNES? It's probably the highest memory cart for the system, but has terrible load time. But that's the exception to the rule.

Tatsujin

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 01:44:18 AM »
awesome stuff..HAHAHA!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

ceti alpha

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 02:11:10 AM »
That is hilarious. Now every one knows for certain that the Neo Geo destroys everything in its path.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Sinistron

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 02:23:49 AM »
That's some long ass piece of paper they sent letters out on!  :shock:

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
Quote from: Tatsujin
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 04:07:08 AM »
Awesome letter, Joe; thanks for sharing.  Only a professional tool bag would sign a letter as "The Game Lord", so this incoherent mess isn't too surprising.  Here's my thoughts on a couple of his points:

4)  I always wondered why Cinemaware didn't do so well; good to know it's because of the TG-CD's poor sales and not because the games were so lackluster (the majority of which weren't even CDs anyway).  I have no idea what to make of "Judging by NEC, I think we'd sell less for more that way."  :-k

6)  Maybe he should've consulted one of his technicians before spouting such drivel.  Surely they could've let him in on the secret that both the all powerful NeoGeo and the lowly Genesis are built around the same processors.  :roll:

While I agree with you on the memory issue, Zeta, take a look at the date on the letter.  1991.  32-bit home systems weren't to come out or even be announced for quite some time.

Maybe he was referring to the then new System 32 arcade board, though that would render any memory arguments moot.

P.S. - Fun is a strong word.  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ceti alpha

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 04:25:41 AM »

haha sin. I really didn't even notice that, but yeah, that's crazy long.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 05:21:19 AM »

haha sin. I really didn't even notice that, but yeah, that's crazy long.

Agreed.  Perhaps it was written on toilet paper; that's about all it's good for - wiping my ass.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

MurderDate

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 05:25:54 AM »
 oh man -  great thread !!
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse